You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nebraska in December 08!

I was finally on my way to NE., a trip I had really been looking forward to. Halfway across MO. I gave Russ (WWGI who lives in eastern Ne.) a call to see what his schedule was for Saturday morning. He informed me that he did not have to work, so it looked like we would finally meet. Once I was close a quick phone call got me directions to Russ and Patty's house. I recognized the place from pics Russ had sent in the past. Patty cooked up a Great Hot breakfast, and the coffee definitely hit the spot. We shared stories for most of the hour and a half I spent there. I also received a tour of Russ's place and I really enjoyed it. Seeing Russ's treestands set in his honeyholes made me want to get after the Merriams, and Muleys even more. As I was getting ready to leave, Russ gave me a custom made Turkey call (it was put to use) Russ I appreciate the call, and the hospitality. Please tell Patty the Hot Breakfast, and Hot coffee was Great and very much appreciated. Thanks to you both for everything!! It's always nice to meet new people, and then leave with new friends.

I arrived later that night at the Ranch, and the last 85 miles of my journey saw a 55 degree drop in temperature. When I arrived it was 5 below and before the night was over it would drop to 15 below zero with windchills right at 68 degrees below. The next 3 mornings saw readings below zero of 24, 20, and then 20 degrees below zero again.

The first morning was spent doing some glassing and long range scouting to confirm movement was as I expected based on previous times spent hunting this area. It was soon obvious that I needed to get a couple of Double Bulls set up and put in my time. Trying to set the first DB up it was apparent that these brutal temps were going to test not only my equipment, but my mental and physical preparedness and determination to hunt these types of conditions. It was necessary to take the blinds inside the house by the wood fire to warm them up and then quickly pop them up once outside. After that we hauled them to the spots and staked them down.

After setting up a DB in the place I had chosen to begin my Deer hunting I glassed the second canyon and spotted several Merriam Gobblers at one end and I knew they would work there way to the opposite end before dark to roost in the Big Cottonwood trees at that end. The DB Matrix went up where I thought my best chance would be to get within bow range of a Merriam, and with a couple of yelps on the call Russ had given me they detoured right by me.

I had decided before I left home that my new Ross Carnivore 34 would be used on Turkeys. It was equipped with a Hostage Pro rest, HHA Optimizer Lite sight, Posten Stabilizer, and was shooting CX Maximas tipped with 100 grain Grizz Tricks. The Carnivore is a super sweet bow and may very well be a sleeper in the lineup this year. It has a Super Smooth draw, and holds and aims like a rock. It performed flawless even in the sub zero weather I had encountered, and I was able to tag 2 Merriams with it during my hunt.
    Last edited by MeanV2; 01-03-2010 at 11:23 AM.
    Maker of MEANV STRING SUPPRESSORS
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

The next day I was determined to sit all day in a blind as I knew I had no chance if I went back to the Ol Ranch house, and as it turned out sitting all day would pay off. On the morning of the second day in this spot I shot a 4X4 between 10am and 10:30am with my BowTech Airborne 82nd equipped with a Limb Driver rest, HHA Optimizer Ultra sight, Octane Stabilizer, and a Mini MeanV suppressor. The 82nd was launching CX Aramids tipped with the New 100 grain Grizz Tricks. It as well as all accessories were up to the task in the subzero temps and placed the arrow exactly where I held my pin at the moment of truth from 27 yards out. I knew when I saw my arrow disappear this Buck only had seconds to live.
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

Here's another pic!
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    www.meanvarchery.com

Yep it was a heart shot!!
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    www.meanvarchery.com

Ready to go to the check-in station!

My Mule Deer Buck, 2 Merriam Gobblers, along with my 10 point IL Whitetail, and a couple of does made for a Full freezer, feathers & Antlers at the taxidermist, another successful season soon to wind down.

Most of all Thanks to God for allowing me to Bowhunt yet another year!!

Dan
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    www.meanvarchery.com

great story and pics sounds like alot of fun

Sounds like you have had a great season Dan! Congratulations!

Great story and pics!
    Crackerized '09 Rytera Alien-X, Easton ACC 3-49's, Sword Twilight Hunter, NAP Hellrazer 100gr
    Martin/Rytera Archery Pro Staff;Sword Acu-Site Shooting Staff
    Mossy Oak Pro Staff; Paradigm Archery Staff; Vapor Trail Pro Staff

Cograts on some fine bow kills,job well done.
    I have a question for you meanv2 i see you used a blind on your deer hunt the next day,was it really brushed in good or just put in a spot very quickly.
    I have a little popup blind i was thinking about useing end of this year and to middle of January when season ends.....just wondering how you set it up.
    2010 PSE AXE 7

Quote Originally Posted by OneMustFall View Post
    Cograts on some fine bow kills,job well done.
    I have a question for you meanv2 i see you used a blind on your deer hunt the next day,was it really brushed in good or just put in a spot very quickly.
    I have a little popup blind i was thinking about useing end of this year and to middle of January when season ends.....just wondering how you set it up.
    With Mule Deer I just set it pretty much in the open. Whitetails I believe are a different story. I think the key is to either really hide them or leave them in the open. I saw a Mule Deer up to it's front legs in my Dark Horse in Oct.
    Just checking it out I suppose, but definitely not spooked by it. I do Not use the screen on Mule Deer either, but I dress in all Black and use a Black face covering as well.
    Even when in the Blind keeping the wind in your face, and the sun at your back is important. I had this particular blind facing Northwest.

Dan
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    www.meanvarchery.com

Way to persevere. Congrats on the kills!

It doesn't get any better than that.

BTW....I sent somebody to you re suppressor. I am glad you are still making them.
    2010 Bowtech Destroyer 350
    2010 Strother SR-71
    2009 Bowtech Beast
    Sufferer of Gray Wolf Woolens addiction......

Thumbs up

could have done without the infomercial but great bow kills, congrats!!
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Tax Lawyer View Post
    It doesn't get any better than that.

BTW....I sent somebody to you re suppressor. I am glad you are still making them.

Thanks!! I appreciate it as always! Glad to run into you again I am upgrading to 7075 alloy and renaming them the MeanV Maximum, and we are holding the price in check also.
    We plan on making them as long as there is a market for them, and I know there are many bows that can benefit from the addition of a MeanV. We have new Lost Camo rods arriving soon to make suppressors for the new Mathews bows. The MeanV seems to compliment Mathews limb tip suppressors very well.

I guess you are doing better now? I heard you had a bad accident. Take Care!!

Dan
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    www.meanvarchery.com

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    could have done without the infomercial but great bow kills, congrats!!

Slippy, stay away from NE. The wind is really strong out there!

Thanks for the congrats!!

Dan
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    www.meanvarchery.com

Quote Originally Posted by MeanV2 View Post
    Slippy, stay away from NE. The wind is really strong out there!

Thanks for the congrats!!

Dan

Congrats on a great hunt.
    Proud Member of the FBSA

3D for CP - www.archeryata.com/3dcp.html

Great year! Congrats bro!!
    Hook 'Em Horns

Good job there Mean Man.

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

Looks like you were having a lot of fun in the pic's.Congrats on a good yr and hope that next is just as rewarding.
    CSS by MeanV
    FB Truth and a few Dartons.
    FBSA member

Quote Originally Posted by IChim2 View Post
    Looks like you were having a lot of fun in the pic's.Congrats on a good yr and hope that next is just as rewarding.
    You Bet!! The worst day hunting beats work anyday!!

Much less when you are having success. That even made it feel warm!

Dan
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    www.meanvarchery.com

Congrats on the kills and great story.Even better the bowtech sticker
    Bowtech Bows, Goldtip, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Tru Ball, Axcel
    Whistling Wings Guide Service
    Bad Boys Bowfishing