You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Indoor Advice Needed

Last night, I shot my first indoor 300 League. Had to use my X-Force 70#. Had an excellent shoot until the last 3-4 rounds and ended up with a 288 with 23x's.
    My question is, I hunt and shoot 3D with 70#. What weight should I be shooting for 300 and 5 Spot. I was thinking 50-60#. I'm new to this and kinda like it. I must've fired off about 90 shots last night and was getting a little sloppy at the end.

I'm sure weight is having an effect on your shooting. Shooting spots is a lot different than shooting 3D. At 3D we shoot one arrow and walk. In spots, you shoot and shoot and shoot. It will take it's toll on you especially at 70#

I normally hunt at 65 and 3D at 60-62 but my indoor rig is set at 55#
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

when it comes to indoor, think about this......

you only have to clear the ceiling.....

I shoot 48-52 lbs indoor.....

any less than that and I dont feel there is enough holding weight to be steady....
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by Fcal124 View Post
    Last night, I shot my first indoor 300 League. Had to use my X-Force 70#. Had an excellent shoot until the last 3-4 rounds and ended up with a 288 with 23x's.
    My question is, I hunt and shoot 3D with 70#. What weight should I be shooting for 300 and 5 Spot. I was thinking 50-60#. I'm new to this and kinda like it. I must've fired off about 90 shots last night and was getting a little sloppy at the end.

Not bad at all for your first 5 spot round.

I bet you'll gain a couple of points just by knocking down the draw by weight ten pounds or so.

Thanks guys
    2009 Hoyt AlphaMax 35
    2009 Bowtech Captain
    2009 Hoyt UltraElite (on way)

Default 50 to 60 good

Quote Originally Posted by Fcal124 View Post
    Thanks guys
    Find a good PSE Money Maker around 50 to 60lbs. Some large diamentor arrows and your set to go.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

48lbs
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

My Ovation is 40-50 I keep it at 50 and I can shoot it all day long. You really done very good shooting 70 with your X-Force and getting 288.

"HONDA"

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    My Ovation is 40-50 I keep it at 50 and I can shoot it all day long. You really done very good shooting 70 with your X-Force and getting 288.
    Yeah, BHH, I was thinking the same thing. Nice shooting there for a first time.

Slow, relatively heavy bows and arrows and lower draw weights make it a LOT easier to focus on the target instead of trying to hold a higher holding weight and all of the things that go with it.

360 round = 60 arrows, not including warmup and the associated fooling around with fellow shooters and the post round poker shoots and such. Just for bragging rights though...

Doing that with a 70# bow will make you a lot more challenged, sore, target panic prone, tired, etc....

And Bunny put it perfectly clear... Clear the ceiling and you're good to go...

Never thought of it that way Bunny, good point.

And in indoor your fixed yardage and no wind !

You might also try to pick up a used Mathews Ovation.... A few of us out here have the 'Blueberry' ones. We're in the 'cool' crowd...

Good luck and have fun. I tried indoor 2 years ago for the first time and I love it. Good people and a lot of fun.

Ron
    Last edited by Ronhop; 12-24-2008 at 11:16 PM.
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

Default huntin and target shootin

yeah drop your lbs about 10lbs and re site, see how you feel at the end of a shoot. Target stuff I shoot 49.5 on vegas 450 which is 45 arrows with two practice rounds before, now makes it 51 arrow. but if I go into a handicap round you may have another 10 rounds which is 30 more arrows. shooting that many (serious arrows) can get you sore. Also if you have a all weekend shoot Thats a lot of arrows. Also I tend to shoot extras between the shoots just so I know my head is right. I drop my huntin bow to 64 lbs for 3D from 74lbs. About a month ago i did 4 vegas 450 shoots and 1 bowhunter shoot. I ended up shooting about 400 plus arrows in a row because I set up my huntin bow also and I was sore for a couple of days. I had to shoot all the leagues in our area and help get things rollin. It was fun but I felt it.

I've had neck & shoulder problems the last couple of years and have turned my pro elite down to 39 lbs. It let's me practice a lot more than heavier draw weights. I'm shooting better than ever since I turned it down. It seems to make me feel the shot better.

Thanks guys. Santa was very good to me today. I'm going to go look at an 09 Hoyt Ultra Elite 50-60# for target and spots (Red Ember so I can be cool too ). Will probably try it a 55#.
    The funny thing is that I wasn't sore at all, it was just the last few rounds where I noticed that I wasn't as steady and found myself forcing the shot.
    I went from a 148 on the first half, to a 140 on the second half. It was definitely due to fatigue.
    Last edited by Fcal124; 12-25-2008 at 09:11 PM.
    2009 Hoyt AlphaMax 35
    2009 Bowtech Captain

Default being the same shooter start to finish

Well if your not the same shooter start to finish you need to fix something. Either get conditioned or drop poundage. Whatever it takes to make you consistant and your mind right.

I think I need a little of both.
    2009 Hoyt AlphaMax 35
    2009 Bowtech Captain

I hunt with 70lbs but anything else she goes on 60lbs.
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

I use about 55 for indoor with my Ovation(mines camo so I am not in the cool crowd)
    Mathews Ovation 60 lbs 29 Dl- Ranger custom Strings
    HHA 5500 ol - Trophy Taker shakey hunter-
    Tru Ball pro diamond- Gold Tip X-cutters= awsome shootin'
    (new)FBSA Member

70lbs will make you fatigued very fast. I only shoot 54 lbs for spots and 62 lbs for 3d...
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

Work less, Shoot more

60 for 3D
    50 for Spots