You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default converting to archery

Hello I am new here. I am converting to archery starting this year. I have been a rifle deer hunter for some time now, and have had enough. Two weekends a year to hunt for deer, well aint gonna cut it no more. So I am jumping into archery. For hunting and for a fun hobby. I have been doing some research and have come to a starting point. I have got a choice of buying one of two used bows to start. First one a BEAR TRUTH new with tags for 250. And a HOYT 2003 PROTEC CAMO XT3000. for 250. also.
    Any suggestions.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Can you shoot them both?
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Yes I have shot the truth at the store and for the hoyt I shot a newer one.

buy which ever feels best to you. With todays bows there really is no better or worse, just what fits you the best. The only issue you mahe have withthe protec is it's quite long and that may cause some issues for you in the stand. Again buy what feels and fits you best.
    The more I learn the less I know

www.BKARCHERY.com
    T.R.U.Ball Release Aids
    Speciality Archery
    Victory Archery
    Bohing Archery
    Vaportrail Pro Staff

Scott's Strings LLC ServingSpinner's Avatar

Default Starter Bow

Start your search with buying good arrows, and work your way backward from there, tips Fletching, release etc. Anything that touches or effects the arrow flight is more important than what sends it. When you down to the bow, buy what you can afford with what is left in your budget. Then Get lessons from someone that knows how to teach good form and fit the bow to you. Then PRACTICE!
    Shoot Straight
    Scott Wymore Sr.
    Scott's Strings LLC

Sophia's dad

I did the same thing this year to extend deer season. Bought a bow & got hooked, very addicting!! Had an absolute blast archery hunting this year.

Anyway, I am not real familiar w the 2 bows you are looking @, but I bought a used bow & was able to get a nicer bow for less $$$. I can say if you want to do this long term, I wouldn't buy a bow that you will outgrow too quickly.

Hope to see you around the forum, there are some extremly knowledgable people here that helped me alot with questions I had to get started.

Well I went and bought the Bear 2007 truth brand new with tags and paperwork in the package for 250. The bear is considerably shorter and a little newer in technology. And I really like how she feels. Now its time to accesserize (as my wife would say) haha. Pointers would be helpfull . I will be heading to the archery shop soon to get some education.

I wish they would make the bow season longer and make the gun season a week shorter.

accesserize? That takes me forever I always looking for newer parts to update my bow to make my bow better.

Practice,Practice,Practice,Practice,Practice

Hoyt Katera
    Last edited by Breck; 01-01-2009 at 02:20 PM.

Sounds like you got a good deal an a nice bow. to an awesom sport. Now you get to see the great selection of products available to accessarize with. The same things apply to this as did the bow choice. Use what works best for you. I primarily hunt with my bow. I use a LImbdriver rest with moleskin stuck on the launcher and the rizer shelf for the "silent draw" effect. I like a Limbsaver stabilizer and limb dampeners. I use a discontinued model of Cobra sight called the Sidewinder Radiant. Very bright and tough and can be found on ebay in the $30 to $60 range. I like a Truball Pro Diamond release. It's quiet and stays clipped on the release loop while I sit in my treestand. I shoot Carbon Express Terminator Lt. Select arrows with 2" Blazer vanes. I hunt whitetail with Rage 2 blade broadheads. These are all quality products I found at a reasonable price. Have fun shopping, I do.

Sophia's dad

Limbdriver rest
    trufire elite release
    truglo 3 pin sight
    x weave arrows w steel force broad heads

This is the stuff I use, I am pretty new also, but I had a friend help pick these accessories. Everything works very well, & is pretty quiet. I have heard, & other people please correct me if wrong, the things to spend more && on is the rest & the release. Good luck, & have fun!!!

The hoyt shoots very well but the bear does 2
    Bowtech Bows, Goldtip, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Tru Ball, Axcel
    Whistling Wings Guide Service
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

I have decided on going with the wisker bisket to start with. And if I ever want to switch I will pass it on down to my little boy.

Patriot till Death... monkybrainz's Avatar

Great thing about Washington state is a two fold season, we get the beginnig and the end, and rifle in the middle. congrats on the bow, nuthin better then the rush of gettin a deer with a pointy stick.
    what sights u going with?
    PSE
    And there came a voice to him," Rise Peter, Kill and eat" acts 1o: 13
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sound