You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Had a Bad One Yesterday (long post)

Was on my way to deliver a load of corn with my semi truck yesterday morning when I came upon a horse on the shoulder of the road. Slowed down as hard as I could but the horse was spooked and crossed the road in front of me. Not good for the horse. A car following me stopped and we were unable to move the horse off the road together. I went to the owners house, woke him up, he was bringing his truck out to pull the horse off the road when another vehicle came along at full speed, hit the horse and wrecked the car they were in. The driver must have been not paying any attention as I flashed my high beams on and off at them for at least a minute as they were approaching and they never even touched the brake pedal before they hit the horse.
    Now it gets even better. The damage to my truck, bent grill, some cracking on the fiberglass hood and a bent hood hinge, is not that expensive to repair. My insurance company says I am at fault for the accident. Go figure, if the lady had slowed down when I was flashing my lights and not hit the horse I would not have had to report the accident, could have fixed the truck myself and no increase to my premiums. Now a totaled car and hurt people, fortunately not severely.

Please everyone when you are driving if something looks even a little odd SLOW DOWN.

Very unpleasant to pick up pieces of a horse and a car mangled together on the asphalt. Also very upsetting for the 15 year old girl who the horse belonged to to see it in such a state.
    Mathews Switchback 63# 29"
    Victory Arrows and FOBs!

Banned

Yikes, that does sound bad. Are You sure the horse owner isn't a little responcible?

I feel the horse owner is responsible. He has no insurance coverage for livestock. My livestock policy covered a neighbor (drunk at the time) when he hit one of my cows on the road. Bought a whole new front end for his F150 that was a year old. Didn't matter as much back then if you were drunk. I am not sure if the insurance companies, mine and the car owner's, may take some action against the horse owner. Time will tell, I guess.
    Victory Arrows and FOBs!

Quote Originally Posted by ace7038 View Post
    I feel the horse owner is responsible. He has no insurance coverage for livestock. My livestock policy covered a neighbor (drunk at the time) when he hit one of my cows on the road. Bought a whole new front end for his F150 that was a year old. Didn't matter as much back then if you were drunk. I am not sure if the insurance companies, mine and the car owner's, may take some action against the horse owner. Time will tell, I guess.
    the problem, is that the insurance company will say you at fault as you did not "have your vehicle under control at all times"....

ITS CRAPPY I know your pain.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

Crap day for sure...

Sorry man.
    Mathews Staff Shooter Northern Dutchess Archery & Sportsman Supply - www.ndarchery.com

TruBall & Axcel & Dead Center Archery Shooter Staff

Scott's Strings LLC ServingSpinner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ace7038 View Post
    Was on my way to deliver a load of corn with my semi truck yesterday morning when I came upon a horse on the shoulder of the road. Slowed down as hard as I could but the horse was spooked and crossed the road in front of me. Not good for the horse. A car following me stopped and we were unable to move the horse off the road together. I went to the owners house, woke him up, he was bringing his truck out to pull the horse off the road when another vehicle came along at full speed, hit the horse and wrecked the car they were in. The driver must have been not paying any attention as I flashed my high beams on and off at them for at least a minute as they were approaching and they never even touched the brake pedal before they hit the horse.
    Now it gets even better. The damage to my truck, bent grill, some cracking on the fiberglass hood and a bent hood hinge, is not that expensive to repair. My insurance company says I am at fault for the accident. Go figure, if the lady had slowed down when I was flashing my lights and not hit the horse I would not have had to report the accident, could have fixed the truck myself and no increase to my premiums. Now a totaled car and hurt people, fortunately not severely.

Please everyone when you are driving if something looks even a little odd SLOW DOWN.

Very unpleasant to pick up pieces of a horse and a car mangled together on the asphalt. Also very upsetting for the 15 year old girl who the horse belonged to to see it in such a state.
    When you deal with the Ins. companys, do not take no for an answer! Keep in mind that they do not have to pay! Unless the courts tell them they have to. (Your not supposed to know this) And they can (and did) tell you anything they want to, so they don't have to pay out. Now if your company knows you are willing to hire a lawyer and take them to court, it may have an effect on your "Liablity". It costs me $50 every time I call my lawyer, but he loves writing letters. They will go after the animal owners (it is the animal owners fault for not keeping the animal off the road) Go after their insurance.and you will get a fixed truck. (From a vet. trucker of 20 yrs)
    Last edited by ServingSpinner; 01-01-2009 at 10:59 AM.
    Shoot Straight
    Scott Wymore Sr.
    Scott's Strings LLC

sorry about that bad day
    Bowtech Bows, Goldtip, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Tru Ball, Axcel
    Whistling Wings Guide Service
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

Most states will say that an accident casued by an animal IE livestock will be the fault of the said animal's owner. I have been there before. i won because the girl was drunk and drove recklessly and was doing 70 in a 45 and never hit her brakes. i wouldnt put up with the insurance company's crap call an attorney and find out for sure. I know for a fact that insurance companies love to weasel out of payments for anything they can. They practically tell agents to try to lie thier way out of a claim. good luck and keep us posted.
    GO TEAM 12

I had called my lawyer Monday morning. He is in Vegas for the week with his new girlfriend. Am still waiting for the insurance adjuster to come. Wish they would hurry up as we are using the truck every day but can't get the hood open without repairing it to close it.
    Victory Arrows and FOBs!