You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Question Binos for 3D compact or fullsize?

I use full size Binos. but I have often thought a Quality set of compacts would be nice to use on the course. So sound off on Compacts vrs fullsize? and what power do you use?
    Mathews Ovation 60 lbs 29 Dl- Ranger custom Strings
    HHA 5500 ol - Trophy Taker shakey hunter-
    Tru Ball pro diamond- Gold Tip X-cutters= awsome shootin'
    (new)FBSA Member

I've used both. I like to have the biggest objective I can for 3-D for light gathering purposes on dark courses. On very sunny courses any decent pair will work. I'm currently using Vortex 8x32 Furys but I'm gonna be picking up a pair with at least a 42mm objective for this season. We have a lot of shoots in CT and NY that go from fields to dark timber.

Keep in mind, although most clubs will not enforce it, IBO rules have an 8.5 power max.
    Vortex Optics Field Staff

Default Binos

The Vortex Hurricanes are a very nice cmpact bino.

But my suggestion for 3d targets in a black hole or the black targets you need the full size because of the light gathering. Good Binos price for 3d.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Like Scotty said you are limited to 8.5x but it's loosely enforced. As for compact or fullsize I have found that objectives smaller than 40mm are just to dark for my area so I use Bushnell 8x50's and really like them.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    Like Scotty said you are limited to 8.5x but it's loosely enforced. As for compact or fullsize I have found that objectives smaller than 40mm are just to dark for my area so I use Bushnell 8x50's and really like them.
    +1 for 50mm....

I have a pair of $90 Celestron 8X40's that I love

I did have a chance to fondle 3 pairs of Vortex the other day.....2 medium/full size, and a pair of compacts ( I think they were the Fury, I THINK)

AFTER looking at them and through them, I would NOT buy the compacts......

the other 2 pairs were Diamonbacks and Sidewinders I believe, one pair was 199 and the other was 349....

I could not see the reason for the increased price, with my untrained eye....

they both looked equal to me.....

please feel free to fix the names in my post, if anyone knows that i made a typo on the models......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    I have a pair of $90 Celestron 8X40's that I love

I did have a chance to fondle 3 pairs of Vortex the other day.....2 medium/full size, and a pair of compacts ( I think they were the Fury, I THINK)

AFTER looking at them and through them, I would NOT buy the compacts......

the other 2 pairs were Diamonbacks and Sidewinders I believe, one pair was 199 and the other was 349....

I could not see the reason for the increased price, with my untrained eye....

they both looked equal to me.....

please feel free to fix the names in my post, if anyone knows that i made a typo on the models......
    Diamondback and Sidewinder are the same binos. The Diamondback was originally called the Sidewinder. The name was changed when Vortex introduced thier Rifle scope lineup that also bare the same names as the binos.

Also, the Furys come in Compact, Midsize and Full Size. I have the midsize and make for a nice light pair of binos for 3-D and hunting. The smaller objective does create some problems in 3-d seeing rings in dark areas.

It's possible the $349 pair were the full size Furys.

I am not a fan of compacts. I personally would not go smaller than the mid size.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyluck View Post
    Diamondback and Sidewinder are the same binos. The Diamondback was originally called the Sidewinder. The name was changed when Vortex introduced thier Rifle scope lineup that also bare the same names as the binos.

Also, the Furys come in Compact, Midsize and Full Size. I have the midsize and make for a nice light pair of binos for 3-D and hunting. The smaller objective does create some problems in 3-d seeing rings in dark areas.

It's possible the $349 pair were the full size Furys.

I am not a fan of compacts. I personally would not go smaller than the mid size.
    yeah, as the place only had the 3 pairs in stock and not really show cased that well, coupled with the fact that I was not there to BUY, it was kinda foggy in my head......

What I do remember is the tag on the FURY said FRY and I remember thinking I have never heard of that......

I guess this is as good a thread as any for a 1st post:
    I use the Vortex Vultures in 8.5 x 50 and would not go any smaller than a 42 mm objective. I have used compacts in the past and one must sacrifice too much in clarity with them.

Ted

I know the IBO says 8.5 but they are hard to find, inless you want to spend alot of money. What I mean is it is you cant walk into wallmart and get under 10 power inless it is a compact.

I got my Binos from my Dad when he passed away. They are 10X50 jasons never heard of them before but they are really clear and have great light gathering propertys. But a little uncomfortable to lug around. Thats why I thought compacts might be nice.
    Mathews Ovation 60 lbs 29 Dl- Ranger custom Strings
    HHA 5500 ol - Trophy Taker shakey hunter-
    Tru Ball pro diamond- Gold Tip X-cutters= awsome shootin'
    (new)FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    yeah, as the place only had the 3 pairs in stock and not really show cased that well, coupled with the fact that I was not there to BUY, it was kinda foggy in my head......

What I do remember is the tag on the FURY said FRY and I remember thinking I have never heard of that......
    could they have been the vultures?

the 8.5 X50 vultures I have are very clear

Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Reed View Post
    could they have been the vultures?

the 8.5 X50 vultures I have are very clear

Reed
    Next time i am at that store i will take notes and give my thoughts on each pair......

Just because I dont remember the details.....

Alpen,Alpen,Alpen.

Any one know where the Vortex binos are made?
    07 Hoyt 38Ultra 62# 27.5"
    06 Hoyt UltraElite 50# 27.5

Quote Originally Posted by UltraElite 06 View Post
    Any one know where the Vortex binos are made?
    Design, test and warranty are all done in Middleton Wisconsin and are made to Vortex specs overseas.
    The Razor, Viper and Stokes DLS binos are all made in Japan. All the rest of the binos and spotting scopes are made in China. The rifle scopes are made in the Philippines.