You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Opinions on bow

Default Opinions on bow

I am looking to shoot 3d with my daughter and would like anyones opinion on a good bow for 3d to start out with? Thank you in advance,Ron

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

You'll get everyone's opinion on what is their favorite; which is almost useless to you as you may not care for someone else's favorite at all. Bows are completely personal preference - there is no way around going out and hitting the shops and trying as many as you can. There is one thing you will need to decide before starting out - what class do you want to shoot in. There are a few other things to keep in mind as well. As 3D is a distance guessing game a faster bow will be a little more forgiving for estimation errors, however the trade off is a more aggressive draw curve. A longer ATA is nice as well, even in Hunter Class however........another thing you need to decide is what are your reasons for shooting 3D. If you are going to use it as practice for hunting then choose a rig that suits you for being out in the woods; now a shorter ATA could come in handy. There is a whole other world for traditional shooters as well. You see 3D is really more than 1 kind of shooting. It wouldn't hurt to visit a local shoot and talk to people and get a feel for the game as well. Whatever direction you want to go in have fun and don't worry about how you do, it's great fun.
    Last edited by dbdcougar; 01-08-2009 at 05:28 AM.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

I am getting into 3d because my daughter decided that she wanted to take up archery and she likes the idea of the 3d. I have never hunted, but have thought about hunting next year. My main reason is to spend time with her, doing something she enjoys. I have an older Darton target bow, but it does not have a drawstop and the brace height is only 6 or 6 1/8. I am looking for something with a little more brace height. I have been considering Martin bows, but am not sure.

Choosing a bow can be a much harder task if your on a specific budget....if not then I would consider buying a 2009 model bowtech, martin, mathews, etc. The newer the bow, the better the technology, meaning faster arrows, less vibration, quieter shot.

If you are on a specific, tight budget, its better to go with a used bow that was top-of-the-line rather than buying a new, bottom-of-the-line bow thats not of as good quality.

Just my input, hope it helps.

I kind of have to stay below 500, but I have found a few people selling 08 Martins fairly cheap and the new ones aren't that bad. It seems that most of the fst bows have the short brace height. I just had to get my daughters brand new PSE and now I am trying to find a bow for myself.The only affordable ones that I have seen have been the Martins.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

I shoot 3D with my daughter as well, how old is yours? Mine started out just wanting to shoot 3D but as time has gone on she now has decided she wants to stick a turkey - doesn't want to use a gun even in our spring season when it's legal, she wants to stick one!
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

She will be 13 in April andshe has said something about turkeys

Quote Originally Posted by rnfrazier View Post
    I am getting into 3d because my daughter decided that she wanted to take up archery and she likes the idea of the 3d. I have never hunted, but have thought about hunting next year. My main reason is to spend time with her, doing something she enjoys. I have an older Darton target bow, but it does not have a drawstop and the brace height is only 6 or 6 1/8. I am looking for something with a little more brace height. I have been considering Martin bows, but am not sure.
    I shoot the Martin Cougar and I love it. Killed my first deer with it. From my experience Martin makes a good bow. Not sure if it's still on sale but Cabela's had a Reflex Growler on sale for pretty cheap. I got one last year before they went on sale and it's a sweet bow. Pretty forgiving and it's quick and quiet. Might check into that.
    I don't like you! Wanna go huntin'?

I think that I am going to end up getting a Martin MOAB.

I ended up getting a Rytera Bullet X