You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    I pray for you! BUNNYMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    the Hutch
    Posts
    29,897

    Default What is every ones opinion????

    Before I start let me tell you guys that posted the pics this is not aimed at you or you ability to take a great pic.....This is not meant to point fingers or get anyone upset.....that being said.....

    I have noticed a few pics and threads on this and a few other sites and the part that I am wondering about is the pics w/everyone enjoying a beer.....

    now before you roast me for this, first let me tell you I enjoy a few cold ones every now and then......

    my club has banned the sale of alcohol on the days of any of our shoots....

    I would actually like to see it banned from my club all together, I mean some of these guys are using our meetings a cheap place to get lit on a friday....

    But what about these larger shoots, would the attendance really go down if the alcohol was left out???? Is it socially acceptable in other areas of the country to be roasted (intoxicated) w/a weapon in your hand.....in front of kids and teens?
    I cut things up and split them down!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    61

    Default

    I don't know about everywhere else, but alcohol is STRICKLY prohibited everywhere we shoot around here. They don't sell, and if you show up with anything on your breath you don't shoot (and you better have a designated driver with you or Johnny Law will be visiting you shortly). I'm like you, I enjoy the occasional cold one but I too was surprised at a thread on another site that showed an indoor league that served alcohol on a league night! That was just unbelievable to me.

    I'm sorry, but any type of weapon that can do harm and any form of alcohol aren't a good mix.. This is just my humble opinion but common sense should dictate that you don't drink alcohol and shoot anything that can cause bodily harm. I don't see how in the world they get a licence to sell in a place that you shoot a potentially deadly "projectile" weapon. Not to mention the liablility factor that could be involved.. I'd hate to have to pay the liability insurance premium on a place like that.. I mean, for goodness sake they won't even let you shoot a bow here within the city limits if it's outside.
    "It's closer than it looks, but farther than it appears." - Yeah, I said that.

  3. #3
    Senior Member MoBowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lee's Summit, Mo.
    Posts
    595

    Default

    I agree whole heartly while any shooting is going on. There is one shoot here in Mo. that has been going for 20 years and sponsered by Budwiser. At the end of this shoot, when the range is closed and all shooters are done, Bud pops the kegs open for free beer to any "of Age" shooters that attend. Now, this isn't a drunk fest by any means, the kegs are only open for about 30 min. or so while the awards are taking place and then it's over. I'am not much of a drinker myself but I really don't see anything wrong with this peticular instance. But I do have a problem drinking while any shooting is going on.
    www.Missouriwhitetails.com
    Trophy Rock Pro Staff
    Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, Pass It On

  4. #4
    Junior Member Evil Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Our rule is that your first drink is your last shot.

  5. #5
    banned from AT big scores's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    136

    Default

    here in Wisconsin it is very normal to have beer at every shoot. just a common thing for us. we even have 3 shoots in the winter, called "Bar Shoots". they are held at "The Bar" locations of Green Bay, Oshkosh, and Appleton. you have about 100 to 150 people shooting and drinking at each location. these shoots have been going on for around 10 years, and never been anything close to being a danger. if you don't have beer at your shoot here, not saying that your attendance is going to go down, but it sure doesn't help.
    Mathews!!
    vibracheck stabilizers
    carbon express
    steiner optics
    custom bow equipment

  6. #6
    banned from AT big scores's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    136

    Default

    lets get the party started.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winners.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	634 - t3h 3d shoots  
    Mathews!!
    vibracheck stabilizers
    carbon express
    steiner optics
    custom bow equipment

  7. #7
    banned from AT big scores's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    136

    Default

    here is one at 8:30 a.m.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beer1 (Small).jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	635 - t3h 3d shoots  
    Mathews!!
    vibracheck stabilizers
    carbon express
    steiner optics
    custom bow equipment

  8. #8
    Bisquit....... BowhuntnHoosier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hoosierville
    Posts
    13,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN
    Before I start let me tell you guys that posted the pics this is not aimed at you or you ability to take a great pic.....This is not meant to point fingers or get anyone upset.....that being said.....

    I have noticed a few pics and threads on this and a few other sites and the part that I am wondering about is the pics w/everyone enjoying a beer.....

    now before you roast me for this, first let me tell you I enjoy a few cold ones every now and then......

    my club has banned the sale of alcohol on the days of any of our shoots....

    I would actually like to see it banned from my club all together, I mean some of these guys are using our meetings a cheap place to get lit on a friday....

    But what about these larger shoots, would the attendance really go down if the alcohol was left out???? Is it socially acceptable in other areas of the country to be roasted (intoxicated) w/a weapon in your hand.....in front of kids and teens?

    Excellent post Adam. I think alcohol should be banned from all shoots and ranges. It just makes a person do things that they sometimes later regret. I know alot of you think you can handle a few and still be ok. That is incorrect one beer is too much. We do not have that problem around where I shoot so I did not realize it was happening in other places. We all need to be responsible enough to say no to alcohol when we are shooting. There are alot of kids that are watching you and this is not what a role model should be saying. Now this is just my opinion but if I were at a shoot and seen someone with alcohol I would report it and simply leave. Accidents happen and alcohol makes them happen more often. Big scores I think your posts are tasteless to say the least.


    "HONDA"

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier
    Excellent post Adam. I think alcohol should be banned from all shoots and ranges. It just makes a person do things that they sometimes later regret. I know alot of you think you can handle a few and still be ok. That is incorrect one beer is too much. We do not have that problem around where I shoot so I did not realize it was happening in other places. We all need to be responsible enough to say no to alcohol when we are shooting. There are alot of kids that are watching you and this is not what a role model should be saying. Now this is just my opinion but if I were at a shoot and seen someone with alcohol I would report it and simply leave. Accidents happen and alcohol makes them happen more often. Big scores I think your posts are tasteless to say the least.
    Also a great post BowhuntnHoosier.

    Bowman had asked if they thought that attendence would go down if you stopped serving.. I know it would if you did serve alcohol at the shoots I go to. At least by one, because I wouldn't be there shooting. After the shoot, that's great as long as it's off premesis and done in a safe manner. I just don't agree with the whole drinking/shooting senario.. WAY too much possibility of accidents there for me to risk my well being or the well being of those around me. I don't have kids, but I damn sure wouldn't go to a shoot that was serving alcohol and bring children with me. What if, God forbid, something should happen to one of them either by someone else's hand or even my own (had I been drinking). I couldn't live with myself.

    Also, not to seem like you're getting pounced on here Big Scores but I have to agree.. Those pics are pretty tasteless, and almost seem like an advocation of drinking and shooting to me. Not the image I would like to see portrayed at any shooting event that I would even consider attending. Just my humble opinion.
    "It's closer than it looks, but farther than it appears." - Yeah, I said that.

  10. #10
    banned from AT big scores's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    136

    Default

    in 9 years of shooting and drinking, i have never seen an acholol related accident. for that matter, never even heard of any.
    but what i have seen is arrows explode, limbs crack, strings break, and arrows being pulled and the noc stick into someones leg. All causing injury.
    so i say that archery in general is a dangerous sport. drinking has nothing to do with it. when we start to have as many accidents with drinking as equipment failure, then i think alcohol should be banned.
    sorry for being from somewhere where drinking is second nature.
    Mathews!!
    vibracheck stabilizers
    carbon express
    steiner optics
    custom bow equipment

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,403

    Default Saying that its “Second Nature” is just wrong.

    Any accident that happens while drinking alcohol is alcohol related.

  12. #12
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    I have mixed feelings about this...

    Personally I have no problem cracking open a beer out in the back yard while I'm shooting, I don't even mind if my buddies drink while we are shooting in the back yard. I also trust all my friends, have been drinking with them for years and we all clearly know our limits. We also don't shoot "buzzed" as we wouldn't hit anything.

    At a 3-d Shoot, Indoor shoot, tourney... I have a complete different feeling on the matter. I strongly agree with no drinking, there are kids there, teens there, and a lot of people NOT drinking there as well. I also have no idea who 99% of the people are, I don't know if they are a 2 beer timmy and will be sloshed by the second target and shooting in the wrong direction or forgetting to nock an arrow and blowing up their bow.

    As for Archery club meetings... normally the things are boring as hell, why else would you go other then the cheap beer? Without beer the attendance would plumet even lower then they normally are (which is BAD)

  13. #13
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    I think I just saw the main post that may have started this... after the shooting is done I'm fine with people drinking while doing the cookout... long as they aren't driving home.

    AS for you guys hsooting DURING the shoot... that is pushing it quite a bit. On top of that, its are some guys house, which makes him COMPLETELY responsible for anyone and everyone at that house and if somone decideds to shoot themselves he is liable, same with a drinking and driving accident

  14. #14
    I pray for you! BUNNYMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    the Hutch
    Posts
    29,897

    Default

    I did not intend to start a riot but I have to tell you I did expect the childish replies of some.....

    that being said.....drinking as second nature.....must be lonely in WI....If getting drunk is the only way you can tolorate your buddies, then maybe you need new buddies....


    What I should have also added to the original post was there is a shoot in perticular in my area that at 7:45 in the morning when I get to this location the people that run the event are 99% of the time so drunk that they reak and can hardly stand up......I just dont understand what the problem about leaving the habit home for one damb day is.....

    You know this thread should probably be moved to a tender subjects area or deleted all together......

    I understand that alcohol is everwere and the companies that produce these products are trying to make a buck......I just wish it was not so in your face all the time......And as far as being able to handle your liquer, I know that when I drink I get stupid and that is why I do it in the privacy of my own home....So I say leave the beer for when you get home....you wont have to worry about Barney stopping you and asking you to blow in to his tube....

    Why has this country become so obsessed w/alcohol.....oh yeah cuz we cant stand to look in our own mirrors let alone anyone elses.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    Humm I think this might be a bad thing, shooting and drinking, its totaly a no no here, i would not shoot someplace that had it hapining, now after the shoot, no problems, Nothing has happend in 9 years..... well theirs a first time for everrything....... If some one gets killed cause some one had a few to many... and put a arrow though someone, what do you say ahhh its ok, this is the first time its happend in nine years......... Hope you dont think im a bad guy, I hope nothing ever happens their, and you guys can drink and have fun forever, i really do, but i feel sooner or later, it will happen and its going to be game over in more ways then 1 for alot of people.

  16. #16
    Story of my life Radar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    N. Illinois
    Posts
    851

    Default

    Man I got mixed feelings on this, I say if no one is getting hurt why make a big deal about this! Everyone is saying.....oh it is such a bad thing, none of us know these people or anything about them and here ya are judging them. I went to a 3D shoot in Wisconsin and in the club house they have a beer vending machine. I really did'nt care I actually laughed when I had seen it, come on who thought they would ever see a beer vending machine. I think "PROBLEMS" like this is what is wrong with the whole damn country everyone is worried about everyone else instead of there own problems. So you don't believe alcohol should be at shoots fine, don't go if there is. If you think its not a problem by all means go. One great thing about being human is you can think for yourself and make your own decisions. hope I did'nt piss any body off and you might be saying oh hes a drinker, actually I rarely do and I am 24. but I believe to each his own!

    Oh, and the whole drinking in front of kids thing, How many times have you seen your parents or there friends have a beer or a glass of wine in front of you when you were a kid???????
    Target: Hoyt ProElite XT3000 C2, 60# 30", CBE Quad Lite, CBE 3x .019, Trophy Taker, Easton Fatboy 400's(indoor) lightspeed 400 (outdoor)

    Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade

  17. #17
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Radar
    Oh, and the whole drinking in front of kids thing, How many times have you seen your parents or there friends have a beer or a glass of wine in front of you when you were a kid???????
    Its more of the drinking in front of kids while playing with weapons, at least for me. Sort of the same reason I don't think people should be drinking at their kids sporting events.

    After the game? fine. but I really don't think kids should get the idea that they should be drinking at all public outings. They need to know their is a time and a place for everything. At a BBQ or after a shoot hwile talking to buddies, fine, in the backyard shooting with friends, okay, but in a tournament when your not at home or on public property... ehh no

    its even worse when the kids then get in the car with the mom/dad that has been drinking the whole time to drive home, and yeah, I've seen it on a LOT of occasions.

  18. #18
    Story of my life Radar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    N. Illinois
    Posts
    851

    Default

    I am not saying that it is alright, I was just making a statement. It happens, probably everywhere I would not like to shoot at a tourney with people getting sloshed around me, but that is just how I feel. I guess I just got a little fired up about people jumping Big Scores case for it. Like I said in my previous reply, We don't know them or anything aobut them, so lets not judge them And when he says its like second nature and people jump his case all I can say is.......Have you ever been to Wisconsin? I actually go quite often...... Great State, CRAPPY FOOTBALL TEAM, Beutiful scenery, and yes the beer is always flowing. People are real friendly too just as long as you don't tell them your a BEARS Fan!
    Last edited by Radar; 07-27-2006 at 04:36 PM.
    Target: Hoyt ProElite XT3000 C2, 60# 30", CBE Quad Lite, CBE 3x .019, Trophy Taker, Easton Fatboy 400's(indoor) lightspeed 400 (outdoor)

    Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Youngsville, North Carolina
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Radar
    Man I got mixed feelings on this, I say if no one is getting hurt why make a big deal about this! Everyone is saying.....oh it is such a bad thing, none of us know these people or anything about them and here ya are judging them. I went to a 3D shoot in Wisconsin and in the club house they have a beer vending machine. I really did'nt care I actually laughed when I had seen it, come on who thought they would ever see a beer vending machine. I think "PROBLEMS" like this is what is wrong with the whole damn country everyone is worried about everyone else instead of there own problems. So you don't believe alcohol should be at shoots fine, don't go if there is. If you think its not a problem by all means go. One great thing about being human is you can think for yourself and make your own decisions. hope I did'nt piss any body off and you might be saying oh hes a drinker, actually I rarely do and I am 24. but I believe to each his own!

    Oh, and the whole drinking in front of kids thing, How many times have you seen your parents or there friends have a beer or a glass of wine in front of you when you were a kid???????

    I love your post. I feel exactly the same way.
    Home-a-lite
    "Doing the best I can....AT ALL TIMES!"

    Hunting:
    02 Mighty Mite 27'' 72lbs
    Beman Matrix 468gr. 255fps

    Target:
    04 Protec 27.5'' 70lbs
    GT Pro22 349gr. 260fps

Similar Threads

  1. need opinion
    By MichiganHunter in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-16-2007, 12:21 PM
  2. opinion
    By irishwater in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-01-2007, 06:22 PM
  3. Whats your opinion?
    By poorshot in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-23-2007, 09:37 AM
  4. I need your opinion one more time
    By QSA in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 11:11 PM
  5. Need your opinion on arrows
    By Brett Cantrell in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-29-2007, 08:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •