You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default New Bow Advice: Mathews or Elite Archery?

Hello Everyone! I'm a first year bowhunter having taken my first deer ever during the Fall 2008 season... I'm totally addicted to bowhunting and archery. My plan is to get into 3D competition this year as well... because I have a hard time letting a day go by without drawing my bow! I currently shoot both compound and traditional. I shoot a Bear Lights Out 70# @ 28" and a White Wolf Custom Bows Longhunter carbon core longbow. The Bear is my primary hunting bow (though I hope to take the longbow out next season!) It is a great, compact, entry-level hunting bow. Now that I want to get into competition, I want to step up the bow. I will likely keep the Bear, but I am considering 2 bows right now: Mathews DXT and Elite Archery GT500. Both will bump up my arrow speed for flatter flight, both have a nice feel, good wall, snappy release, and group well. I like them both. The Mathews I would likely purchase from a family member who hunted it one season for a really good price (set up minus the sight). The GT500 would be brand new, bow only, but I am still getting a great price on it as well from a great local shop, so that is not so much my concern. What I am looking for a good stable bow that will be used for competition and occasional hunting (I will be hunting with the Bear or longbow mostly). Mostly I want a bow that will last many years and allow me to focus on my form rather than tweaking the bow (like I do with the Bear... all the time). In other words, I want to make the bow a constant in the equation.

I would really appreciate any advice anyone can offer about which bow is the better choice for 3D/hunting? Given, for me, they both feel great, does anyone have experience competing with either bow? Hunting with either bow?

Default Welcome to 3dshoots.com

I have owned both bows. After shooting Mathews for eight years I have now moved on to the Elite bows. There smooth, incredable fast and most of all accurate. GT500 is just one of the best bows I have ever owned.

GT500 would be my choice. Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions.

New Bow Advice: Mathews or Elite Archery? - General Archery Forum
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

If you like them both I would buy from the shop . get a good relationship with him he will take care of you when it comes to setting your bow up & stuff like that.
    HOYT KATERA
    PRO ELITE
    ULTRA ELITE

well if you want a high quality bow that is the standard by which all are measured then choose the elite. you wont have to worry about limb failures. mathews bows are for the bandwagoners.

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

First off,

Now, back to the question at hand. If you are looking to get into competition/hunting, I think the GT500 is probably the way to go. You will definitely find you will up your score with it just because it is so much faster. The only thing I don't care for on the GT500 is that it has a 34 7/8" ATA, and since I mostly hunt from a treestand, I like a shorter ATA hunting bow. Both manufacturers make good bows that shoot well, so what it really boils down to is which do you like to shoot more?

Quote Originally Posted by ELITE GT500 KILLA View Post
    well if you want a high quality bow that is the standard by which all are measured then choose the elite. you wont have to worry about limb failures. mathews bows are for the bandwagoners.
    Not really necessary.

I bought a used Mathews 8 years ago because I got a great price on it and have hunted with it ever since. I really wouldn't call myself a "Bandwagoner", I also own a Bowtech and have recently been looking at an Elite. But to 3dshoots!
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

They are both good bows which every 1 you like.I really like the feel of the elites tho
    Bowtech Bows, Goldtip, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Tru Ball, Axcel
    Whistling Wings Guide Service
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

Both companies make great bows. GOOD LUCK deciding. I personally prefer the smooth draw of Mathews. But Elite seems very nice also.

"HONDA"

Mrpenguin

They are both great bows, pick the one that that you like the best and have a source (shop) close to your home that can tweak it for you time to time.

I favor Mathews but that was my choice, and I just glad we all have so much to choose from now days and that we all can have a great time shooting together no matter what bow we chose.

Good Luck Shooting this Year!
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

Both are really great bows! I would go with the GT. Not because I have Elite bows now but because it has the physical characteristics over the DXT. The GT is longer and a little more stable for the average shooter. The bonus is that you have a lot more speed with it, allowing you to have more options with bow draw weight/arrow weight. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I see you’re a new member!
    Welcome to 3D Shoots

Your comment was not really necessary
    You can keep your slamming comments to either yourself or AT they are not necessary here on 3D shoots

Here we all have our favorite bows and equipment here and yet we are all friends that get along most of the time

Good luck Shooting this Year
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDX-- View Post
    I see you’re a new member!
    Welcome to 3D Shoots

Your comment was not really necessary
    You can keep your slamming comments to either yourself or AT they are not necessary here on 3D shoots

Here we all have our favorite bows and equipment here and yet we are all friends that get along most of the time

Good luck Shooting this Year

Agreed. One thing I like about this site is bow bashing doesn't sit very well.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Keep this place AT free please.

I think Elite bows are the best looking bows out there right now. That said, until they get the feet of their co. rooted firmly, I can't get myself to own one. There's been of few issues with washers needing swapped to be able to get the centershot correct. Small, but something overlooked.

Mathews is a great co. and does a lot for archery. Not to mention there bows are great with great customer service.

I'm new to this site. I shot a mathews and have enjoyed it for the last several years. They are a great company and fine people that run it. I don't know a lot about the elite so I can not comment on that. If you are down to just these two bows then I would have to say a mathews. I don't know if you like hoyt or not but it would do you well to check out the new alphamax. Shot one the other day and it is a very fine bow. I am giving consideration about purchasing one. Just something to think about.

If possible shoot them both then see what you like best. Also what are you looking for in a bow- all around just target or 3D this makes a big differance- Are you a new archer? do you like Long ATA bows want high BH?
    Mathews Ovation 60 lbs 29 Dl- Ranger custom Strings
    HHA 5500 ol - Trophy Taker shakey hunter-
    Tru Ball pro diamond- Gold Tip X-cutters= awsome shootin'
    (new)FBSA Member

Like others have said try both and then make up your mind.

Mathews and the new Elites are very nice