You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Hi beginner in need of help

Hi I'm just a teen in New York City trying to pick up archery.
    there are two local archery ranges within my reach and I'm interested in learning how to use a recurve bow. I come from a very poor family and don't have a lot of money to start but can someone please help me find any websites or any of the selling offers on this forum? please any help is much appreciated ^^.

email me at bakarangerSSS@hotmail.com, pm , or reply to this post thanks ^^

Default target

oh and also I live in an apartment that has a straight hall and i was wondering if there was a way to make my own target some how that i could easily use. can anyone please put some suggestions up to please^^

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

You could check out Archerytalk or {sigh} Ebay - I picked up a recurve very reasonably for my daughter on there. You could hang a bag target at the end of the hallway - you might want to practice some first though!
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

how much would reasonable be? and can i get help with whats good and stuff xD i really need a lot of help. im 17 and pretty big guy so what kinda size bow would i need? and what do u mean by a bag?

Hi. I love talking to new archers! We've all been there and we all needed help. Some of it was good and some of it was well meant but they didn't know much more than WE did.

To start with, a "bag" is a target. It's typically a large bag filled with stuffing and it has a target printed on it so you have something to aim at. They are pretty reasonable - some as low as $20 or so around here anyway - and they work pretty well.

Being a mom, the first "problem" I can see with you setting the bag at the end of a hall is, a beginner isn't always going to hit the target (bag) and I can foresee some pierces in the wall that some one is going to notice!

Do you have anyone that you can talk to locally? Is there a sporting goods store or shooting range in the area where archers might hang out? You can learn a lot by just listening to other archers.

If you're still in school, do you have a 4H group that teaches archery? My husband and I coach our local 4H archery group and we have all ages and experience levels. Does your school have NASP - National Archery in the Schools Program? What about a Boys Club or Scout group? Anything like that? Big Brothers??

If all else fails, we'd love to share what we know with you.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by kazenokai515 View Post
    how much would reasonable be? and can i get help with whats good and stuff xD i really need a lot of help. im 17 and pretty big guy so what kinda size bow would i need? and what do u mean by a bag?
    you can buy brand new recurves on ebay for less than $100 including shipping. if you're willing to buy used it would be even less. I would recommend a 62-66" bow somewhere around 30-35 lbs to start.

here's an example of a bag target:
    Attached Images Attached Images

where can i get bag targets and hwo much would they cost?
    and i was hoping that i could get one of those nice metalic ones rather then a wooden one although i know they're more expensive if it was possible to find a good used one for about 100-200$ and can u please suggest any brands that are reliable

-thank you

go to the Lancaster Archery website and search Cartel bows. they'll have targets too. a bag target that will stop recurves should be less than $25.

locally the only thing i see until i go to college that i see is the archery ranges in the city but take a lot of time for me to go to and practice every day. so i was wondering if it would be possible to just pracitce at night in my free time in the hall. do u know how an arrow my effect a hard wall? cause i have a small open space outside that my superintendent might let me use but if i end up hitting the wall a few times i dont want to have it leaving such a big mark behind

-thank you for your help again ^^

if it's plaster or drywall it'll punch a hole through it. if it's brick it shouldnt do much damage, maybe chip it a little.

ahh i see thank you ^^

and when you buy a recurve bow is there a difference between buying the limbs and jsut the whole bow? cause when i looked at some websites i noticed that they sold recurve limbs as well?

oh and i was hoping to find a recurve like this one
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by kazenokai515 View Post
    ahh i see thank you ^^

and when you buy a recurve bow is there a difference between buying the limbs and jsut the whole bow? cause when i looked at some websites i noticed that they sold recurve limbs as well?

oh and i was hoping to find a recurve like this one
    yes, you can buy them seperately. so if you wanted to change draw weight or the length of the bow you could. if you buy a riser (or handle) that is designed for ILF limbs you can interchange with several manufacturers. if the riser/limb mounting system is proprietary to the company you'll be stuck with buying limbs only from that company.

can you please provide me with any specific information in buying a bow?
    cause considering my financial situation i dont see myself being able to buy another one for a while so i want to buy a pretty decent one if i can. so i would like to know what kind of things i should be looking for and any tips that you may have for me ^^ thanks again

I was hoping to get something like this
    http://www.hoytrecurve.com/recurve_bows/
    if possible

Here's a riser and limbs that would fit your budget. remember, you have to buy arrows and a finger tab, too plus your target.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/prod...oducts_id=5923

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/prod...oducts_id=5926

those Hoyt bows you linked are very expensive probably starting at over $400 and up. you might try the FITA classifieds on Archerytalk.com or ebay if you wanted to look for a used one.

Get you a bear recurve
    Bowtech Bows, Goldtip, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Tru Ball, Axcel
    Whistling Wings Guide Service
    Bad Boys Bowfishing