You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOYT Defiant

Thanks for the heads up. I'm trying to learn everything I can about it, and I'd imagine that at 15 years old there has to be tons of experience I can glean from. On another upside, I found a guy who is all about old Proline bows. I had bought a really used up Proline Speedstick on craigslist before I knew anything about archery tech for $75, and then found out it needed 2-3x that just to be workable. It was sold to me as completely shootable, but when I went back to the seller be basically told me tough cookies and left me hanging. This guy from AT is sending me 12 new uncut carbon fiber arrows that I can have customized to a size appropriate for the Defiant by the guy who is gonna fix her up along with a second older but good shape target sight setup in exchange for the Proline. I'm thinking I did all right there...
    Last edited by astronut1885; 03-21-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by astronut1885 View Post
    .....I bought this bow for $100 with the accessories on it, and it needs new strings and cables that a local small shop owner said he'd hook it up with along with a good peep, kisser button, D-loop, color matched 2 tone strings, etc...all for under $70. He also said he'd tune it for free, teach me how to shoot it properly, and let me use his range any time I want for free.....
    Never mind the bow, where did you find such a great shop?

I got all the lastest and greatest and still get beat every week by a shooter with a 12 year old set up.

Some of the older bow are real shooters.........they just keep reinventing the wheel to keep us buying.

The shop is a small local shop run from the room above a guy's garage. He is a retired Vietnam vet, avid hunter, and does it all more or less as a hobby than a source of income. He said he was happy to see a younger guy come to his "little shop" and show interest in archery. He also told me that if I start shooting well enough to enter competition and place respectably that he'd have me represent his shop and any gear I needed after that would come at his cost and not at retail. He has guys over regularly, has a range in his large property out behind his house, and grills venison from his hunts for everybody while we all work on our shooting. After all the razzing I took on AT, and the reception I got at some of the more "regular" retail shops in the area when both trying to learn and trying to talk about the Defiant, I knew this place was for me. He spent over an hour showing me so much stuff it wasn't funny, and that was after I told him I had no money to spend on that particular day. When I showed him the defiant on my Droid, not only did he pick my brains about smart phones ( quite a funny conversation from a guy with an old flip phone), but he basically said that if I didn't want that bow he'd hand me the $100 to go buy it and bring it back to his shop so he could re-sell it, that's how confident he was that it would be a decent shooter. I'm waiting on my new cams to come in, and then I am going to pay him a visit to get my bow hooked up. I also just worked out a trade on AT with a cool member who took an old Proline Speedstick mess off my hands that I had bought on CraigsList. He's sending me 12 uncut carbon fiber arrows that my guy can customize for me along with a better target sight than the medicine stone piece I am working with now. I am pumped to start shooting sometime soon

Let's see if my pics will post now... WOO HOO they stayed up! I got everything you see minus the case for $100, and I got a T release and some extra odds and ends you can't see.

HOYT Defiant - General Archery Forum

Last edited by astronut1885; 03-22-2011 at 09:55 PM.

The sight the guy from AT is sending along with the 12 uncut arrows in exchange for the old Proline:

Blessed and Forgiven bowhunterj's Avatar

Very Very NICE!!!
    Faithful Servant of the Lord God
    Diamond Black Ice T.R.U. Ball release
    Rockin the target for Christ!!!

Yup, other than the color, that is just the same is my '95. I even had the same overdraw and stab. The only thing left from that bow is the naildriver I had on it.

It may be old, but it will still shoot just as good as anything on the market today.

Thanks guys!

Hey guys...what is the story on the Toxonics Fatboy scope? I know I am going to be in the market soon, and these seem to be available used for much cheaper than other round scopes I see. Is it junk, or just a value priced scope? Also, did Toxonics make their 5200 naildriver sight rails in purple? I see some older ones on the net that sure look purple, but it could be black with an optical effect from the camera. Not that color really matters, but if I'm in the market anyway, I might as well try and keep it looking good.

Also... just had a little woo-hoo moment. I did a little research on my medicine stone sight rail, thinking it was some kind of junky wannabe, and come to find out it is still produced today, in exactly the same manner and style, and it is a $250 made to order rail. Nice to know it's worth more than twice what I paid for the whole lot. Maybe I'll stick with it for a while. I'm hoping to get those black marks the previous owner put on there off. I've got to find a scope for it though, right now it has a level with a single pin sticking up from it, not even a housing...
    Last edited by astronut1885; 03-23-2011 at 01:34 AM.

Are the fat boys still around, Or are they used ones you've seen?
    Most people these days go with round scopes that they can center the entire frame in the peep, instead of trying to center just the pin. The fat boy was a good scope, if my memory is correct, just not much call for an oval shaped deal these days.

Used ones for around $40 or so with a 2,3,or 4x lens. They just seemed like a nice cheap starter scope, but I can understand how the size format can make getting oriented difficult.