You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Your most likely old if you shot one of these.

Xquest collection of releases. Now I shot one of those failsafe release in the top left upper corner.

Wow, how release have changed.

Xquest designed one of those failsafe releases and sold alot after winning Vegas with them.

Your most likely old if you shot one of these. - General Archery Forum
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Bunch of oldies there for sure. I have to laugh (guess I'm old) I still use the old Hot-Shot release I bought new back in "93". Just don't feel right useing anything else.
    www.Missouriwhitetails.com
    Trophy Rock Pro Staff
    Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, Pass It On

Default Dont feel bad

Quote Originally Posted by MoBowman View Post
    Bunch of oldies there for sure. I have to laugh (guess I'm old) I still use the old Hot-Shot release I bought new back in "93". Just don't feel right useing anything else.

I still shoot mine from time to time. Its my back up release for hunting. Won many a tournament and harvested many deer with it as well.
    DB
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Some of these are pretty old. My first was a release known as a super loop. It predated these. Had shot many of those circled as they were all that was available back in the day and they were well before any true mechanical hooks.

The one of interest to me is the gold release that is circled. It almost appears to be a "Kant Punch" hydraulic release, but it doesn't look exactly like the original. I have one and will get a shot up soon.

The old rope and spike is still a favorite to teach people with and I cannot tell you how many of those I broke while shooting a 45-50# bow. Any more weight than that and you had problems fast. So, we'd mill and grind them out of aluminum so they'd last about forever. Still have one in fact but it no longer sees much use unless I'm trying to start someone out.

I'm going to guess that I started shooting a super-loop about 1970-71 as I used it with a recurve for one year before switching to a compound.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gpalma; 01-23-2009 at 08:39 AM.

Those are before my time.
    Proud Member of the FBSA

3D for CP - www.archeryata.com/3dcp.html

Default gpalma

The gold one was marketed under the name S&L for a while then changed to S&S. It was made by a by a guy in the Yorktown Va. area, originally in conjunction with Jackie Lancaster, but later just by himself. It is not a kantpunch type of release. It is thumb activated with a single roller ball bearing between the trigger plunger and the sear pin....very smooth.

I still have mine that I shot till I wore it out. I also have several of the releases in that pic. A 4 finger failsafe, rope spike 3rd finger hotshot(almost new in package) and others.

Here's a Kant Punch.

I also have that "Best" release, designed by Lloyd Napier for Pearson Archery in 1987, but mine is a clear factory rep sample and for display only. For that matter, the one shown in photo is for display only and shouldn't be shot. Most all of them broke where the rotating head met the body.

Boone...can you get a close-up of that white release?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Close up

Quote Originally Posted by gpalma View Post
    Here's a Kant Punch.

I also have that "Best" release, designed by Lloyd Napier for Pearson Archery in 1987, but mine is a clear factory rep sample and for display only. For that matter, the one shown in photo is for display only and shouldn't be shot. Most all of them broke where the rotating head met the body.

Those are at Deans house, cant get a close up. Loyd past away this year. He had some really good stuff in the early years. Redman Bow as well.
    DB

Yes, I'd heard that. His Fail safe releases were once very popular.

Can you remember one of the first. The big old allen release? Thats going back a while.

I thought that gold one was a Golden key release

Quote Originally Posted by randal L View Post
    Can you remember one of the first. The big old allen release? Thats going back a while.
    That club was the first true "mechanical" release that I owned. Had to have been in the 70's, but I cannot place the actual date. Maybe 1975 or 1976?
    Anything that won't shoot straight is boring.

Quote Originally Posted by gpalma View Post
    Here's a Kant Punch.

I was in business with Loyd when that "Best" release was designed. The one in the picture is very much a shooting model as I built it special for me to hunt with. Still works today as well as when new. Just thought I would let you know.......

Man i have seen a couple but way before my time
    Bowtech Bows, Goldtip, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Tru Ball, Axcel
    Whistling Wings Guide Service
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

Talking Gee DB,you got alot of stuff

My sanitation remover (trash hauler ) gets all my old stuff to take to the archery (I can't sell 'em) grave yard,never thought of showing off all my old stuff.

Just kidding,I'm too tight to give it away!

Banned

Very right hand bottom one, Persons "The Best". Just replaced mine a couple of years ago. My wife shoots with it now. Might buy it off you if you want to sell it.

I still have a red Hotshot release with the rope I bought in the early 80's along with a PSE Laser II bow I got the same day. I ran that bow through the chrono the other day and got 190 fps out of her. Not quit as fast as my GTO's but I thought it was cooking back then.That is a collections of some oldies.

Quote Originally Posted by SinGin View Post
    Very right hand bottom one, Persons "The Best". Just replaced mine a couple of years ago. My wife shoots with it now. Might buy it off you if you want to sell it.
    Sorry......not for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by XQuest View Post
    I was in business with Loyd when that "Best" release was designed. The one in the picture is very much a shooting model as I built it special for me to hunt with. Still works today as well as when new. Just thought I would let you know.......
    If you ever came down to the factory in Pine Bluff with Lloyd, we likely met :-)

If your Best is still working, it's one of the few. I had a lot of dealers PO'd at me from the cotton-picker's breaking. Apparently, the first models either didn't have any or enough fiberglass in the Delrin mix.

My rep sample is shattered, but is still hanging together 100%. The plastic simply fractured with age.
    Last edited by gpalma; 01-25-2009 at 12:44 AM.
    Anything that won't shoot straight is boring.

Default Thanks!

Thanks DB.
    I was starting to feel kinda old but since I've never shot one of those I must be younger than I thought!