You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default $500 vs. $700 bows

I'm hoping to get a new bow this year, but, like everywhere, money's a little tight. I've been looking at Martins and Reflex's because they fit in better with my budget. I'm wondering what I'll be giving up. Yeah, they won't shoot 350 fps, but that's not worth $200 to me. I'm more concerned with build quality; I don't want the thing breaking down on me in 3 years. So what are some of the downsides of going with a less expensive bow?

Default Plenty of good bows at a fair price

If I was you. I would buy used. Find a dealer with 07 or 08 models still for sale disscounted.

My dealer here in town has fully loaded Hoyt bows for $500.00
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    If I was you. I would buy used. Find a dealer with 07 or 08 models still for sale disscounted.

My dealer here in town has fully loaded Hoyt bows for $500.00
    +1, what DB said!

Look for a top of the line bow thats 1-2 yrs old...I'll never buy a new bow again..
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com

Quote Originally Posted by MTColl28734 View Post
    I'm hoping to get a new bow this year, but, like everywhere, money's a little tight. I've been looking at Martins and Reflex's because they fit in better with my budget. I'm wondering what I'll be giving up. Yeah, they won't shoot 350 fps, but that's not worth $200 to me. I'm more concerned with build quality; I don't want the thing breaking down on me in 3 years. So what are some of the downsides of going with a less expensive bow?
    yeah, you can pick up top of the line used bows for $500....or even better....I would never spend more than about $450 on a bow, never. Because I am poor and because I don't think they are worth more than that to me.

As far as picking up a bow like a Martin Bengal or Moab for $300, those are darned good bows for the price and are no more succeptable to breaking down than an $800 bow, not at all. Yeah you will lose some speed, balance and feel might be a little less....might be a tad louder with a tad more handshock, but other than that, I can live with them. And usually the higher end bows might have a slightly higher end string.
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

Default Skippy

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    yeah, you can pick up top of the line used bows for $500....or even better....I would never spend more than about $450 on a bow, never. Because I am poor and because I don't think they are worth more than that to me.

As far as picking up a bow like a Martin Bengal or Moab for $300, those are darned good bows for the price and are no more succeptable to breaking down than an $800 bow, not at all. Yeah you will lose some speed, balance and feel might be a little less....might be a tad louder with a tad more handshock, but other than that, I can live with them. And usually the higher end bows might have a slightly higher end string.

My coach always said. $1000.00 bow with ten cents worth of talent isnt any good any ways. Wasnt sure how to take that!
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Bear makes a good quality bow at a reasonable price also.

i bought a used mission x5. its a great bow but i wont get my money back out of it when i go to trade it or sell it
    GT500 27.5/65= 284
    GT XT Hunter 7595
    Slick Trick 100gr Mags
    CBE Tek Hunter with Viper target and 3x lens
    Trophy Taker Pronghorn

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    My coach always said. $1000.00 bow with ten cents worth of talent isnt any good any ways. Wasnt sure how to take that!
    DB
    I suppose for those of you who can afford a coach, price is no object when it comes to buying a bow.
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

Default Not sure about used bows

I've thought about used bows, but I'm in a really small town; not a lot of options. I've looked on eBay, but that seems like such a crap shoot.

I went to a pro shop about 30 miles from here and they did have a really nice Reflex, tricked out, for around $500, as I recall. I'd be sleeping in the carport if I'd brought that one home at the time.

As a couple of you suggested, I'd be much more comfortable buying an '07 or '08, new, than taking my chances on some stranger's bow that he's run over with his truck or something.

Check here and AT find a good deal on a great bow
    Bowtech Bows, Goldtip, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Tru Ball, Axcel
    Whistling Wings Guide Service
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

the big Diff in price comes down to if the riser is extruded or machined- Machined looks better, but I dont think as far as durability factor there is any differance.
    Mathews Ovation 60 lbs 29 Dl- Ranger custom Strings
    HHA 5500 ol - Trophy Taker shakey hunter-
    Tru Ball pro diamond- Gold Tip X-cutters= awsome shootin'
    (new)FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews Man View Post
    the big Diff in price comes down to if the riser is extruded or machined- Machined looks better, but I dont think as far as durability factor there is any differance.
    There sure is in weight though...
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com

Off the shelf

I always heard: it ain't the arrow, it's the indian