You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Muzzleloaders

Default Muzzleloaders

Any one use one, got any great stories, pics, lets talk about smokepoles.
    I cut things up and split them down!

i bought a t/c last year and shot a 8 point and doe with it during opening weekend of shotgun season second weekend i missed a 160" buck that my dad ended up shootin outta my deerstand with his knight disc extreme he was only in my stand because my mom wouldnt let me go huntin on that snow day

Congrats on the deer....

What powder and charge do you use? Caliber?

thanks he was happy he got the deer i wasnt though we use hodgdon triple 7 pellets 150 grains with powerbelt 245 grain bullets
    my dad shot the smaller of the 2 big bucks we were huntin so hopefully the bigger one comes out in front of me this fall

Default Flinch locks

Last year I went down to my uncles to hunt with a flint lock in northren PA. What a blast I had. I shot between 20 and 25 times over a 4 day period. I mist a big one side 5 point at about 125 yards. It was 120 yards out of range I finally shot a doe at about 40 yards out of a blind. I had a rest and everything and I still gut shot the poor thing. If you want a real chalange try hunting with one of them.

that sounds fun im currently workin on gettin good with a longbow my uncle made after i get bored with that ill look into tryin out a flint lock i like a good challenge

It's possible the muzzleloader may get me interested in gun hunting again.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    It's possible the muzzleloader may get me interested in gun hunting again.
    Muzzeloader season goes at the same time as archery season and I have to wear orange during it... CRAPPY!

As for muzzeloader hunting, as far as I'm concerned the only thing that should be legal is flintlock. Inline muzzeloaders are insanely accurate out past 200 yards. I think PA agrees with me... there is only 1 week a year that you can use an inline during.

a good slug gun can shoot just as far as a muzzelloader if u sight it in good enough and are a good shot

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by killbambidead
    a good slug gun can shoot just as far as a muzzelloader if u sight it in good enough and are a good shot
    Without a doubt... however slug guns don't get their own season, extended seasons, early season around the rut...

My dad's inline can easily shoot a 1 inch grouping at 200 yards w/ 150 grains of powder. the only differnce between it and a standard hunting rifle is about 20 seconds of extra reload time

but if u think about it thats no different than a guy shootin a recurve out to 25 yard and someone shootin a compound at 50 - 60 yards accuratly

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by killbambidead
    but if u think about it thats no different than a guy shootin a recurve out to 25 yard and someone shootin a compound at 50 - 60 yards accuratly
    Not really... your still shooting bows. I would compare the differnce between a longbow to a compound as closer to a slug gun vs a 30.06.

both are fired the same and are very comparable in all ways. but range.

Inlines shoot further then slug guns and just as accurately. I'm okay with Flintlocks, much less technology involved, not nearly as accurate... completely different thing then an inline

I have a slight issue w/the last comment by you, DREDLY......

So being accurate is a problem????

I love to target shoot and go to 3-d shoots.......but my real love is the animals in which I hunt.......I feel that it is our responsibilty as hunters to quickly and humanly put the animal down (to death).......so I want any advantage I can as accidents can always happen.....thats why I shoot an inline, not because it is easier or less of a challenge.....but because I want to leave as little to chance as possible.......So you can call it what you want and you are free to shoot what you want but dont put anyone and I mean anyone down for using the most of the technology avalaible, to make the animals death as painless as possible......

Please dont take this the wrong way I am not an anti until it comes to animals suffering, because of something I did......I am anti pain.....

And also last year I had one of those bad things that can happen, happen....
    that will never happen again a that gun will not be making a return trip into the woods.....as far as I am conserned I spend enough time at the range shooting in all positions, and am confident enough in my equipment that if something goes wrong it was me.......this however was not me and the gun will be retired into only target shooting......

I was sick for weeks when this happened and did not make it back into the woods since, and am still not sure about this year comming up....

Site Guru

My comment wasn't about the fact that Inlines are extremly accurate, its over the fact that Inlines are allowed to be used during "Muzzleloader" season.

The reason that Muzzleloader season has its own 2 week season (right in the middle of archery season btw) is because of the increased challange involved in hunting with a flintlock, the same reason archery has its own season. In my opion it is intended to reward people for taking a step away from the mainstream hunter in order to spend more time in the woods without the army of orange being there.

When you bring Inline's into this it completely changes, there is nothing different from shooting an inline as opposed to a standard cartridge rifle, except the slightly longer reload time. Nothing else is different, including accuracy.

What I'm also begining to see is the "army of orange" coming into the woods with thier inlines, which worries me considerably as a large number of these people shoot their cartiridge rifles once a year, how often do you think they shoot their inlines? A lot of these people also follow the "if its brown its down" mentality.

Their is also Winter Muzzleloader season, however this is for flintlock only...

I see your point and maybe they need to make it a traditional season rather than any muzzleloader, here in new york we dont have that problem (season in the middle of bow season), we do however have it after regular season.... this sucks in itself, I would like to see it at the begining of regular hnting season and move the regular season back a week......I may be the only one that feels that way though as the oposition to this has been able to kill it anyway.......of course most of the "muzzleloaders" in my area just continue to use there rifle for that extra week......kinda lazy in my opinion.

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN
    I see your point and maybe they need to make it a traditional season rather than any muzzleloader, here in new york we dont have that problem (season in the middle of bow season), we do however have it after regular season.... this sucks in itself, I would like to see it at the begining of regular hnting season and move the regular season back a week......I may be the only one that feels that way though as the oposition to this has been able to kill it anyway.......of course most of the "muzzleloaders" in my area just continue to use there rifle for that extra week......kinda lazy in my opinion.
    Personally I would be fine with them switching the Flintlock only season (after christmas) with the muzzleloader season. The effective range of a Flintlock is what, maybe 100 yards? That is why it has its own season, you hunt around the rut when the deer will come into you. Your not looking for 200 yard shots or covering an entire field like you do with an inline.

To me an inline is a rifle, plain and simple. You don't even measure the powder you put in! its done for you in pellets. No skill required... now try reloading a flintlock in the woods after you miss a deer! good luck!