You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default hunting with my son.

I may be jumping the gun a bit but my 10 year old son wants to hunt with me this coming season.He needs to be able to pull a min of 35# here and my question is do any of you think that the attom BH would be a good choice for him.I have not shot them but I may this year but I have read good things about them.
    Thanks for looking.

I don't know about the bow you are asking about. I have twin 12 year old boy's that started shooting Bear odyssey 2 bows that worked great. They are very flexible. My one son just got a new Diamond Razor edge and I am very impressed with it for less than $300. It will go from 30# - 60# and draw goes from 19" -29"
    without a bow press. It looks very well built. At 60# its rated at 308 fps. My other son is shooting a Bear truth 2 young gun that is also a great bow. They have both killed deers with the odyssey 2 bows. The one killed 2 this year.

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

Are you asking about the Atomic broadhead? If so, I've tried them and wasn't too impressed. They did fly awsome, shot to the same point of impact as my field tips. Penetration was always good, but the 100gr heads I was using only had 7/8" cutting diameter so blood trails were very sparse. Tracking took some time and sometimes serious effort(although it made me a much better tracker ).
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

Sorry about not being clear the bow is a parker buckshot (compound) and I was asking about the atomic BH.my real concern is finding him an arrow/BH combination that will be forgiving of a bad shot.
    Thanks for your replys.

Sorry I misunderstood. My boy's are shooting 75 grain Muzzy's. I don't think they can be beat. They have 1" cut and passed through every deer except the shoulder shot. It 40# because that is the minimum in Ohio allowed to shoot..

Default Not familar with that one

Quote Originally Posted by trigger View Post
    Sorry about not being clear the bow is a parker buckshot (compound) and I was asking about the atomic BH.my real concern is finding him an arrow/BH combination that will be forgiving of a bad shot.
    Thanks for your replys.
    I did take a 14 yr old hunting for his first deer. He used a 85grn Slick trick on a 35/55xt Goldtip arrow at 40lbs. It diffiantly did the job. I think most heads will work. Just keep him close when making the shot. Going to be the best hunts of your life.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Just a question. One of my friends kids wants to go hunting next year, his father dose not hunt and asked me to take him with me. He has a parker bow and pulls 40#. The question is why use lighter heads. Is this just for better trajectory? I have done much more shooting with a gun than a bow I never hunted with a bow until I was able to pull 70#. With a gun if you use a slower bullet one would usually go with a heavier bullet to help with Ke. Do the same principles apply to a slow moving arrow? If I have him use a 100gr head will it cause the arrow to drop or loose Fps to fast for 20 yard shots? I never thought about hunting with a 40# bow but know this young man is looking to me for answers and I don't want to let him down. Some help pls.

Quote Originally Posted by trigger View Post
    I may be jumping the gun a bit but my 10 year old son wants to hunt with me this coming season.He needs to be able to pull a min of 35# here and my question is do any of you think that the attom BH would be a good choice for him.I have not shot them but I may this year but I have read good things about them.
    Thanks for looking.
    my doughter is 11 and she hunts with me can pull 40lbs

A 40# bow will completely pass through unless you hit the shoulders. My son shoots 40# with 75 grain Muzzy broad heads. The one was an angling forward shot and he hit at last rib and it came out in front of opposite side should. The other hit both shoulder blades and broad head was just exposed through side skin. He is using gold tip falcons ( a light youth arrow). I was concerned about penetration at first but after those 2 deers I am not worried. Both deer was shot at 26 yards.