You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Went to my first 3d shoot.

I took my old Pearson Spoiler out to my first 3d shoot today. It's a hand me down I picked up from an in-law to get my foot into the bowhunting world. I had to have it short stringed to fit me and it's still and inch and a half too long and the draw weight is maxed out at 46# but it has treated me pretty good for the last two years.

I had broke or bent all my pins my last day hunting as I was climbing out of my stand and hadn't shot the bow but once since then. So needless to say when I picked it up before leaving for the shoot I realized the 2 pins I had was able to unbend enough to work were not set for their usualy yardage.

Once I made sure the pins were close enough to shoot safely I headed off to the shoot.

Once I got there my buddy and I quickly tried to reset my pins. I'm used to having 4 pins since my bow is far from a speed demon the 4 pins I usually have setup for 10,20,30, 35 yards take up the whole housing. Instead I figured a 15 and 25 would suite me fine for the hunter class.

I started out doing pretty good. Had all but 2 shots within the eight after the first 10 targets which were almost all between 25-35 yards and deer sized targets. I definitely got lucky on a few though.

Then it was all downhill. I couldn't stop hitting high or low. I never realized how much harder it is to judge yardages when the targets start to vary a lot. Going from a turky @ 15yds to a bedded to @ point blank to a standing grizzly that looks like he's on top of you but is actually closer to 25 yds.

It was a blast. I managed to only miss one of the targets but I padi for the mulligan shot and got 5 points on that.

I think I ended up with a 219. Not too shabby. Next time I'll try a lot harder and start practing more. During the two months befor hunting season I get in the habit of shooting at least 20 minutes a day. Now that there is a 3d shoot every month I've got a good excuse to shoot everyday.

Oh yeah I also picked up a new bow while I was there. It's an 07 Mathews SB XT. It's nice to shoot something that actually fits me. I was really looking for something a little shorter and 70lbs but for $350 I couldn't pass it up.

I threw my cheap tru glow site on it and have been shooting it in the backyard and really like shooting without a peep sight.

My groups are pretty good and I feel like I can see a lot better. No more fuzzy target.

My buddy says I should definitely put a peep on it if I want to get into the top of the field at the 3d shoots but I have been looking at the no-peep style aids and thinking I'd like to go that route instead for a while.

Considering how much better I can see w/o a peep and the slight speed increase and noise reduction I don't see how it could hurt once my form improves.

Any opinions on peepless shooting aids? I'm probably going to head to the pro shop tomorrow to have an STS put on and get a new sight.

Default My opinion

Peep less stuff is a big disadvantage

Find a peep that fits your pin housing and your accuracy will much improve.

You got a good bow in the Switchback XT

Now its time to practice and learn to judge yardage as well as shoot good.

Have fun but work at it to become the better shooter.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

I tried the Hind Sight, and personally, I didn't like it too much (so it went back). I find that during the foam season, switching to a small diameter peep helps improve grouping, and during hunting season I switch to a larger diameter to allow more light through for those early morning/late evening shooting opportunities. With the larger diameter, you loose a little accuracy, but it's offset by having more light. As for string speed with a peep, if it's a big concern for you, try the G5 meta peep. To keep my field of vision open until I'm ready to take the shot, I keep both eyes open, get my pins where I want them, and then close one eye to fine tune pin placement and take the shot.
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to take the bow up to the shop tonight and get it setup. I'm thinking about a spot hogg sight. What is out there as far as peeps go. That G5 looks like it would work how well does it do with string rotation. I know the peep I have on my Pearson is terrible now that the string it stretched out. I have to give it a good twist or two every now and then just so I can see through it.

Also the bow seems to be really from heavy. It has a cheap walmart looking stab on it and I tried shooting with it off and it still felt very front heavy.

Just wondering if it should fell like that or if it should be balanced in my hand.

Thanks

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by killasoundz View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to take the bow up to the shop tonight and get it setup. I'm thinking about a spot hogg sight. What is out there as far as peeps go. That G5 looks like it would work how well does it do with string rotation. I know the peep I have on my Pearson is terrible now that the string it stretched out. I have to give it a good twist or two every now and then just so I can see through it.

Also the bow seems to be really from heavy. It has a cheap walmart looking stab on it and I tried shooting with it off and it still felt very front heavy.

Just wondering if it should fell like that or if it should be balanced in my hand.

Thanks

AJ
    Get a top quality string and your peep issue of twisting will become a "non issue"....The G5 peep is nice and light but spendy. Do not get the 1/4 inch or it'll crush. I'd reccomend the 1/8 inch metapeep to start out with on 3D..It wont crush. You dont need a G5 peep either..the RAD's cost half the price of the G5's but are heavier so you'll lose 1-2 fps.. As far as a sight I'd do something with a dovetail so you can remove the sight quickly & easily. This way you can protect it & put it in a case...you dont wanna be banging around your sights, after all these are gonna be precision instruments, so keep them protected...Also I'd recommend .010 pins...nothing comes close to a nice precise .010 pin sight hovering over your intended 3D target.

The more you shoot the more you'll prob migrate towards more weight on the end of your stab as well as getting a longer stab..advaced hunter class in 3D says a stab should be 12 inches or less. Might as well use it (the length) if they allow it. If your like me you'll prefer something thats gonna make your bow tilt/lean forward a sec or two after the arrow leaves the bow. Weight in a target bow is your friend. Its more forgiving in wind, accidental torque, or microscopic movement caused by the shooter. All you need to do is condition your holding arm for the extra weight. Make it a gradual increase as well.

I recently converted my 101 from my hunting bow to now be my full time 3D bow.....last weekend I spent both days using a little trial and error to refine my setup. My old setup on it (hunting) had a 3/16 peep with a larger hunting sight/sight housing and and 8.5 inch 14oz B-stinger..I shot pretty decent but didn't nail nearly the amount of X's I wanted to..My main problem was the peep..it was way too big, I was constantly trying to center my sight housing within the ring of my peep so I was getting the same line of sight on every shot. The next day (sunday) I put in a 1/8 inch peep and I literally doubled my X count. My sight picture was significantly reduced and it framed my sight housing perfectly (micro 1.75" housing). No light or gaps around it. I may go to a smaller peep to see if I can shoot it even better. For me, getting a smaller peep for more consistant & precise sight alignment was an instant payoff...
    Last edited by hunter2678; 02-02-2009 at 03:53 PM.
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com

WOW...........you got a great deal. $350 for a SB XT. You will love it. Just remember to have fun.

"HONDA"

Well took it to the shop this evening and just got back.

Ended up with a Spot Hogg Real Deal, 5 pin with the 2 3/8" guard and .029" pins. Also got a peep with verifier lens and man does that help with the issues I've had with not being able to focus well.

I got home and even though it was dark turned the porch light on and shot some groups.

I'm super impressed with this bow. Will be going to my first indoor league shoot tomorrow so I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

AJ