You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default trying to become a beginner

i NEED to start learning how to shoot some indoor and or 3-d but i am a bit lost . i got hooked on bowhunting a year and a half ago and havent picked up a rifle to hunt since. i thought i was doing pretty well and beginning to understand some stuff but i am lost with the ways of the target guys. i just figured out that scope dont just look like a rifle scope (i think)and i am probably shooting off pins that are 40 times too big and i am almost convinced that i am gonna have to start changing out peeps when different shops use different lighting, or i shoot outdoors in any different time of the day.
    my rig -- 07 vectrix xl
    vital gear capture dropaway
    1/4 "meta peep with g-5 le 5 pin
    6 inch stab

i really want to shoot some tournaments, and i know i am missing something as far as the finer points to setting up a good bow just for this. i cant figure out if i should go see how a 38 ultra or pro feels or just rebuild what i've got then pick up something else to hunt with .i've looked at some more precise sights but i hear people talk about lenses and dovetails and clarifiers..
    man even a little advice or input would go a long way .

You can go a long ways using your pinsights. Just an FYI, in 3d, if you go to a scope/lense type of target sight I think that'll force you into the "top-gun" catagory shooting from the longest stakes.
    Do you know how big your pins are? .029, .019?
    Your comment on having to change out peep depending on lighting...are you just trying to center one of your pins in the peep? Should be centering the sight pingaurd in the peep.
    Last edited by red44; 02-03-2009 at 10:48 AM.
    FBSA Member

i didnt realize there are different classes in 3-d, i just dont know anybody who has ever shot in a tournament,
    i ve got .029 pins and use my sight housing to center up, and at 40-60 yards that pin covers alot of target ,
    i get a lot of light with this set up but i think i may need to make some changes for shooting strictly targets.
    i get great results with what i have , in fact i've learned not to try practicing" too much" with the muzzys because i' ve skinned shafts, cut blazers off ect.
    i wouldnt make a change at all for hunting , but i dont know what to prepare for with tournaments

Quote Originally Posted by the contractor View Post
    i didnt realize there are different classes in 3-d, i just dont know anybody who has ever shot in a tournament,
    i ve got .029 pins and use my sight housing to center up, and at 40-60 yards that pin covers alot of target ,
    i get a lot of light with this set up but i think i may need to make some changes for shooting strictly targets.
    i get great results with what i have , in fact i've learned not to try practicing" too much" with the muzzys because i' ve skinned shafts, cut blazers off ect.
    i wouldnt make a change at all for hunting , but i dont know what to prepare for with tournaments
    If you go by the IBO(International Bowhunting Association) there are basically 6 Levels of competition that are broken down into 18 or so classes...
    heres their rules to get an idea of whats involved...
    http://www.ibo.net/pdf/2009IBO%20RULES.pdf

With the set up you have you can shoot in the HC (Hunter Class). All you really need to do is find a local shoot and go.

sweet! thanks for the link.