You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

Default rage v muzzy? shaft?

Right now I shoot Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain broad heads. I am thinking of switching to the rage broad heads in two blade.

My question is this a worth while switch and if I switch which arrow shafts should I use.

I shoot a bear element with a drop away rest.

Quote Originally Posted by single cam View Post
    Right now I shoot Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain broad heads. I am thinking of switching to the rage broad heads in two blade.

My question is this a worth while switch and if I switch which arrow shafts should I use.

Are you having any tuning problems with what you use now ? If not I would not change. Changing arrows and broadhead setups can easily cause you to re-tune your bow for that setup.

What ever you do be sure your arrow spine is correct for your whole setup. Life will be much happier that way. Good luck.

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

I'm not worried about the tuning part. I have to retune it anyways it got dropped this year and needs a new ideler pully.

What do you mean by correct spine? As you can tell I'm a big time newb to bow hunting. Also I got told about paper tuning whats this???

I'm not worried about the tuning part. I have to retune it anyways it got dropped this year and needs a new ideler pully.

What do you mean by correct spine? As you can tell I'm a big time newb to bow hunting. Also I got told about paper tuning whats this???
    Well,,,,

Check out Easton's WEB site. They have a tuning guide that you can download. It's pretty extensive but it really explains how to tune an arrow to a bow. The upshot is that arrow 'spine' is an arrow's stiffness. And an arrow's stiffness has an effect on how well the arrow flies based on the peak draw weight of the bow, point/broadhead weight+insert weight, vane weight, etc....

Check out Easton's Tuning Guide on their WEB site. That document explains paper tuning pretty well....

I hope that helped.

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

ive shot both broadheads and i like the rage there tough and make a HUGE hole ............... but muzzys are a awesome head too all depends on what you want i vote rage

i shoot muzzys right now as well but i plan to change to the rage broad head. muzzy are really tough i just want more blood on the ground.
    GT500 27.5/65= 284
    GT XT Hunter 7595
    Slick Trick 100gr Mags
    CBE Tek Hunter with Viper target and 3x lens
    Trophy Taker Pronghorn

Default Rage vs Tekan G5'S

Experimenting with both Rage 2 blade & Tekan's G5 broadheads, using carbon 400 arrows - both show great arrow flight and penetration. Rage 2" cutting diameter vs 1.5" Tekan razor sharpe tips and blades.

My que
    stion is this a worth while switch and if I switch which arrow shafts should I use.

I shot the Rage 2 blade last year with poor success. I had every intention of not ever using another mech. on deer. Then, I talked with a guy on this site and he pretty much told me "bad shot placement. I don't care what you saw, it was bad shot placement." So, I am going to give mechs another shot. I don't have confidence in the Rage, but I ordered the Rocky Mountain Snyper 3 blade and they should be in today. I will let everyone know how they fly and how they do on deer in about a week and a half. I will still have my Shuttle T Locks in my quiver for the main head and the Rocky Mountain for does.

Old Archer

Thumbs up Good Choice

Rocky heads are a good choice, very well made! You will notice they are similar in design. However they have been around longer! Good luck!

" Control all fears, be confident and you will be victorious"
    George Patton Commander US 3rd Army 1944
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.

grim reaper also makes a very good broadhead