You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default rage v muzzy? shaft?

Right now I shoot Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain broad heads. I am thinking of switching to the rage broad heads in two blade.

My question is this a worth while switch and if I switch which arrow shafts should I use.

I shoot a bear element with a drop away rest.

Quote Originally Posted by single cam View Post
    Right now I shoot Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain broad heads. I am thinking of switching to the rage broad heads in two blade.

My question is this a worth while switch and if I switch which arrow shafts should I use.

Are you having any tuning problems with what you use now ? If not I would not change. Changing arrows and broadhead setups can easily cause you to re-tune your bow for that setup.

What ever you do be sure your arrow spine is correct for your whole setup. Life will be much happier that way. Good luck.

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

I'm not worried about the tuning part. I have to retune it anyways it got dropped this year and needs a new ideler pully.

What do you mean by correct spine? As you can tell I'm a big time newb to bow hunting. Also I got told about paper tuning whats this???

I'm not worried about the tuning part. I have to retune it anyways it got dropped this year and needs a new ideler pully.

What do you mean by correct spine? As you can tell I'm a big time newb to bow hunting. Also I got told about paper tuning whats this???
    Well,,,,

Check out Easton's WEB site. They have a tuning guide that you can download. It's pretty extensive but it really explains how to tune an arrow to a bow. The upshot is that arrow 'spine' is an arrow's stiffness. And an arrow's stiffness has an effect on how well the arrow flies based on the peak draw weight of the bow, point/broadhead weight+insert weight, vane weight, etc....

Check out Easton's Tuning Guide on their WEB site. That document explains paper tuning pretty well....

I hope that helped.

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

ive shot both broadheads and i like the rage there tough and make a HUGE hole ............... but muzzys are a awesome head too all depends on what you want i vote rage

i shoot muzzys right now as well but i plan to change to the rage broad head. muzzy are really tough i just want more blood on the ground.
    GT500 27.5/65= 284
    GT XT Hunter 7595
    Slick Trick 100gr Mags
    CBE Tek Hunter with Viper target and 3x lens
    Trophy Taker Pronghorn

Quote Originally Posted by gamoboy View Post
    i shoot muzzys right now as well but i plan to change to the rage broad head. muzzy are really tough i just want more blood on the ground.
    I just want to be different from my brother in law and his friend and my father in law and other brother in law. They all shoot muzzy's I goin to get some 2 blade Rages thanks guys

I just want to be different from my brother in law and his friend and my father in law and other brother in law. They all shoot muzzy's I goin to get some 2 blade Rages thanks guys
    Ahhhh ...yes.. I can relate.
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com

Quote Originally Posted by gamoboy View Post
    It all depends on the hit if you get more blood on the ground. I seen a deer shot with a Rage and hole plugged with fat and didn't bleed outside. I don't think they will cause you to get a better blood trail. Both are good broad heads.

Never been a big fan of the screw in rage tip, I'd rather have a fixed/solid chisel tip...besides you go to a 4 blade head and you've got a rough total of 4 inches in cutting surface, more than double the rage head. That completely liquifies any internals.When that happens you don't care about a large blood trail bc the internal damage is so extensive that it won't run far at all. I'm a muzzy and slick fan, esp in rainy/icy conditions where mechs can freeze up. JMO
    Last edited by hunter2678; 02-04-2009 at 04:18 PM.
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com

maybe im lame but i just dont like mechanicals. i have put muzzys through hog shoulders(reshootable) deer spine once(reshootable) and other muzzys in a foam target (almost but not quite reshootable)they are tough. my son uses rage--"crimson" something i think, he has had impact tear his up more than once....whatever

I switched to the Rage 3 blade this year and killed two buck, A coyote and a ground hog all with great blood and a huge exit wound. Non ran farther than about 30 yards! I am pleased!

I know shot placement is key any good head will get the job done if it is placed in the "perfect" spot. After saying that, my brother-in-law and I both shot does a few weeks apart. I shoot Rage 2 blades and he shoots 3 blade Muzzys. Both were perfect shots in just about the same area. Both deer expired very quickly...however...his deer hardly bled out at all and mine bled out entirely. I know, the end result was that they were both hanging from the scaffold but the effort put forth in tracking his deer was stupid in comparison. That was 2 years ago. After seeing the devastation from the Rages this past year he said, "I think I'm going to switch over."

Contractor, both Rage heads from both of my deer are in perfect shape and I plan on shooting them through another deer. I'm not sure what "crimson" head your son is shooting but I don't think they are Rages. Maybe Crimson Talons?
    I don't deny Muzzy makes a wicked broadhead, just saying that Rages do also. Just in my experience the Rages make a more evident blood trail.
    Hoyt Vtec +
    Rage Broadheads
    =
    A lot of blood.

i currently shoot the muzzy 3 blade and it has never done me wrong but from all the good things ive heard from very knowledgeable people i would definetely give the rage a try

Guess its all just personal preference is what it sounds like. Yes my sons are definately crimson rage somethin somethin, got a monster dude on his package. Either way I don't trust a mechanical even if muzzy made it. Just one more thing to malfunction.

I switched to rage this year and loved them. wont shoot anything else. at least 2" hole going in and bleedes out quick. go to www.ragebroadhead.com to see videos. that is what the entry holes look like

well i finall compared the rage to the muzzy. i shoot better groups with the muzzy's. i dont know what it is about hte fixed blades but they seem to shoot flatter and tighter.

If i was shooting muzzy and having no trouble with them then i would stick with thm.

Default Rage vs Tekan G5'S

Experimenting with both Rage 2 blade & Tekan's G5 broadheads, using carbon 400 arrows - both show great arrow flight and penetration. Rage 2" cutting diameter vs 1.5" Tekan razor sharpe tips and blades.

My que
    stion is this a worth while switch and if I switch which arrow shafts should I use.

I shot the Rage 2 blade last year with poor success. I had every intention of not ever using another mech. on deer. Then, I talked with a guy on this site and he pretty much told me "bad shot placement. I don't care what you saw, it was bad shot placement." So, I am going to give mechs another shot. I don't have confidence in the Rage, but I ordered the Rocky Mountain Snyper 3 blade and they should be in today. I will let everyone know how they fly and how they do on deer in about a week and a half. I will still have my Shuttle T Locks in my quiver for the main head and the Rocky Mountain for does.