You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default center shot mystery

I Shoot a bowtech Constitution and shoot fingers, and for some reason, I have it center shot at an archery store but my arrows still hit tail left at twenty yards and consistently right of where i am aiming. I am frustrated to no end, I shoot a golden key futura hunter supreme rest, and have tried to adjust the tension on the plunger to no avail. I have been wondering lately if a single cam bow would be better for fingers,(do my fingers on the string throw of the timing of the two cams), Any suggestions would be helpful, unless you are suggesting that i switch to a release, love fingers way to much.

Off the shelf

Do you shoot three fingers under? If not try it and see if it makes a difference. I tend to put pressure on the arrow with two fingers under. My 2 cents.

I'd question two things.
    First is arrow spine. That reaction your getting is typically a weak arrow.
    Second is that "centershot" the shop did. Are they fingers shooters? It should not be dead center for a finger shooter. If it is, add to that the depth your plunger can travel, and your quite a ways inside center.
    Stiffen the plunger up, move the plunger so the point of the arrow is outside of center a bit and see if that helps. You can play with plunger tension after. I'm not familiar with the cams, do they have stops on them to hit at full draw? Are they hitting them equally?
    Sending you a PM also.
    Last edited by red44; 02-07-2009 at 09:57 AM.
    FBSA Member

I Am Shooting A Beeman Carbon Explorer 400 With A 100 Grain Tip At 65 Pounds, I Seem To Remember The Shop Saying Something About They Bow Being A Little Outside Of Center, But Nobody Shoots Fingers At The Shop An They All Seem Lost When I Ask Them Questions.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    I Am Shooting A Beeman Carbon Explorer 400 With A 100 Grain Tip At 65 Pounds, I Seem To Remember The Shop Saying Something About They Bow Being A Little Outside Of Center, But Nobody Shoots Fingers At The Shop An They All Seem Lost When I Ask Them Questions.
    The Bowtech cams are a bit harder than most charts and programs say they are... while this isn't a huge problem for a release shooter it can be the death of a finger shooter. Spine is everything to a finger shooter...

Secondly, the cam system on the Bowtech does not lend itself to finger shooting because of the lack of adjustabilitty for an under center pull with either Apache or 3-under you can't time the cams for level like you can a true 2-cam or wheel bow. There are similiar problem with a single cam although many of the top finger shooters do use an Apex, I think most would perfer a wheel bow or old fasion 2 cam...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

I'm pretty sure Limey shoots one with fingers, I'll send him a heads up on this thread.
    FBSA Member

Check your grip,not to tight, not to loose, just right, like goldielocks.
    Watch out for bowtorque!

thanks everyone your advice is really appreciated, will be trying to work the bugs out this weekend, and let you guys know how it goes

FYI, Limey's in the UK, might take a bit for the time difference.
    FBSA Member

Limey's not been around since the 6th. I'm sure he'll be glad to help once he's aware of it. Hang in there.
    FBSA Member

thanks red appreciate the help

OK!

For the first time probably ever I disagree with Javi

The Bowtech system works excellently with finger shooters as long as they are happy shooting with a draw stop. Which personally I don't like but I have set up Constirutions and other binary cam bows for finger shooters. I have shot a Connie with fingers but mine is set for a release.

Centreshot is different for finger shooters and needs to be set to start with point pointing about a points width outside true centre. A lot of people with some knowledge set it like a release which in my book is wrong. I have ended up there after a walk back tune but don't start there.

Where I 100% agree with Javi is spine is vital for finger shooters and you need a stiffer spine than a release shooter... another common set up fault.

I Am Shooting A Beeman Carbon Explorer 400 With A 100 Grain Tip At 65 Pounds
    Unless you are shooting about a 26-27 inch arrow and at about 27 inch draw length you are too weak in spine is my first guess. I shoot 400 spine arrows cut to 28 inch at 65# with 80 grain points out of my Martin Slayers with fingers and this is pushing the spine to the limits and I am blessed with a clean finger releas and have always shot a slightly weaker spine than most.

Suggestions...

Do some bare shaft tuning.
    Start at 10 yards and when your bare shaft is tight with the group or ideally the lowest arrow in a tight group move to 15 yards and adjust again until you get this position then again at 20 yards and tune for a tight group.

Personally I prefer the bareshaft at the bottom of the group as this means my nocking point is a smudge high which I have found give me more forgiveness, kinda like some release guy like a touch high tear.

After bare shaft tuning try a "Walk Back" tune to confirm centre shot is good at all distances. This also is good for setting plunger tension.

To finish I group tune at 40 or 50 yards, if the groups are good and tight I leave alone. If the spread slighlty horizontally I adjust my centreshot fractions until the groups shrink. If they spread vertically I adjust my noking point fractions until they shrink.

Then I measure what I have got, make a note and leave alone as long as I am still shooting well. If my groups go to hell, I measure and compare with my notes and correct if anything has changed. If still the same, I put down to a bad day, 5 bad days = a retune!

Good luck and hope this helps!

awesome thanks for all the help, my arrow are cut to 29 1/2 inches, so I will get some 340's and start tuning. thanks again for the help.

Default cams are offset left.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    I Shoot a bowtech Constitution and shoot fingers, and for some reason, I have it center shot at an archery store but my arrows still hit tail left at twenty yards and consistently right of where i am aiming. I am frustrated to no end, I shoot a golden key futura hunter supreme rest, and have tried to adjust the tension on the plunger to no avail. I have been wondering lately if a single cam bow would be better for fingers,(do my fingers on the string throw of the timing of the two cams), Any suggestions would be helpful, unless you are suggesting that i switch to a release, love fingers way to much.
    I shoot a connie and my rest is hanging out left more than you would think it should be. If possible lazer tune you bow? It will get you close and tune it out from their. I also had to do a grip change because of my paticular hand issue an now shoot a shrewd grip on my bow. Shot all the bow tech stuff and now shoot a shrewd. Move your hand down about 1/4" and back 1/4". My bow would kick my arrows a little right and left because my hand is built different than most. look closely at your cams and you will see your cams are not center shot cams and move rest accordingly. Been shooting connie for about a year and about 1000+ arrows a month. She is dialed in so to speak. Shoot 300 5 spots on occasion and around 50 x regular and 442 to 446 vega450 shoots regular. She shoots as good as I allow her to shoot. Any questions drop me a note and hopefully I can help and if I cannot our local bowtech rep probalby can help answer questions. I shot it with fingers for about 4 months and rest position hasn't moved much compared to release setup.