You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

Default opinions from those who know

Looking for a new compound to start over with and just wanted to get some opinions. 6 years ago I had to take an unwanted break from bowhunting because of a shoulder injury. I've recently been cleared to start into a program to get me shooting again. Besides that I started my son on his first bow recently at the age of 6 and wow, He's taking to it unbelievably well. He wants to shoot a couple times a day.
    I am looking for honest input from the people that would know and that can help me make a descision about what bow to buy. I know it all comes down to which one feels good and shoots well for me. but if anyone has any input into any compounds that are out there that are what they consider to be smooth, fast and flat shooting, I would appreciate it. I'm really surprised at how the technology has changed just in a few short years.
    I've been looking at Parkers,Martin's and Brownings. If anyone has any information about which manufacturers have the best records or most wins in tournament or 3D shoots please give me a heads up.
    Thanks for your assistance.

How's your shoulder now? Do you want a smooth puller or do you think you can handle any of the cams now?

For smooth pulling, you need to look at the Bowtech Freedom cam bows or even the new Equalizer Cam's in the 2005 line.

The freedom cams pull like they are 10lbs lighter than they actually are. I have a person that comes in with a rotator cuff problem and he shoots the liberty with the freedom cam and loves it.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

A rotator injury was the original problem but it extended into permanent nerve damage and muscle atrophy through the next and shoulder. Had a lot of problems with severe cramping in the bicep anytime I lifted my right elbow to shoulder level. That's a problem if you are trying to shoot a bow. Most of it's taken care of now but the only way to get rid of the rest is to retrain the affected muscles.
    I was looking at a Parker EZ Draw because of the same smoothness that you described on the the Bowtech models. Like I said, I've been out of it for a while and am unfamiliar with the Bowtech line so it might be a little difficult to put my hands on one. I will definitely look into them and see what I come up with. What kind of price range are the Bowtech's?

Bowtechs are generally in the mid $600 range.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

A very good friend of mine has had 3 surgeries on his shoulder. The last surgery they replaced his joint with titanium. He switched to the Browning Micro Adrenaline. (I think that's what it's called) It's their youth bow and only weighs 2 pounds. It's poundage is 40-50. Plenty enough for any white tail in the country. He uses no stabilizer. For him as long as he keeps the weight of the bow down he can hold pretty steady.

Good luck

I feel pretty confident that the weight is not an issue. I used to also shoot a 68# recurve and had not problems. I'm 6'1" and 245lb with a fair amount of it in upper body size. The thing that I've found that bothers my shoulder is the breaking of the big lumpy cams. After a few shots it just feels like the breaking weight keeps getting heavier. I've shot a couple of bows so far that breakover smoother and they don't seem like they will be much of a problem.
    Tell your frien that if he can come back to where he's at after that kind of trauma, he gives me great hope of shooting well again.

Well ya'll
    I bought an Archery Research AR31. After close to 6 years of not shooting from shoulder injuries, I'm shooting 2" groups at 20-25 yards after less than 2 months.
    I never would have dreamed that it would come back so quick. I talked to alot of folks out there and just wanted to say thank you for all your input. It came down to the Bowtech Liberty and the AR31( I know, totally different). I went with the AR31 because it's quiet and extremely smooth, and I hunt a lot of cedar thickets and areas with heavy cover. One of the things I like most about this bow is that it is short enough that if you can stand upright under something, you can shoot from under it too. At full draw it's virtually no taller than the top of your head.

Thanks to everyone for your help.