You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: 475 grain arrow

Default 475 grain arrow

i know that is way too heavy! I shoot a bowtech general 28" draw and 70# pull using a rip cord rest i want too use 100 grain heads and lumenoks but am having trouble keeping a good 10% F.O.C. without going to 125 grain heads and then need to go to 340 spine the result is a rediculously heavy arrow can any one help with this i would like to stay 400 or slightly under 380 is about as light as i want to go

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Are you asking for a hunting shaft recomendation?
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Quote Originally Posted by dbdcougar View Post
    Are you asking for a hunting shaft recomendation?
    yes for hunting only

I'm shooting the CX armids they weigh 452g with 100g tipp's. They do have the weight forward design built in. Not sure what FOC is on them though. I'll calculate it tonight and get back to you.

Default full metal jacket 340

Quote Originally Posted by iawalleyeguy View Post
    i know that is way too heavy! I shoot a bowtech general 28" draw and 70# pull using a rip cord rest i want too use 100 grain heads and lumenoks but am having trouble keeping a good 10% F.O.C. without going to 125 grain heads and then need to go to 340 spine the result is a rediculously heavy arrow can any one help with this i would like to stay 400 or slightly under 380 is about as light as i want to go
    I shoot the 340 full metal jacket at 483 g total weight. Its a hammer when it hits. diamond marquis 72lbs 262 fps on chrono. Shoot quick spins 3" hunting arrow and practice out 100 yrds for fun.

475 is heavy but I wouldnt call it way too heavy. It's only 6.8 grains per pound. I bet it makes your bow real quiet. I wouldnt worry about it.

Take a look at the carbon express Maximas... They have that weight forward thing going on in there shaft. It might be just what your looking for. I don't shoot or know alot about the Maximas but If I were you I would give them a look...
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    475 is heavy but I wouldnt call it way too heavy. It's only 6.8 grains per pound. I bet it makes your bow real quiet. I wouldnt worry about it.
    Agreed, I like something in the 6 - 6.5gr/# for hunting myself.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

You could go to a 400 spine arrow and up to a 125 grain head. I hunt with a 440 grain arrow. Quiet
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    Dang........this guy is good.

"HONDA"

i don't 475gr is that much too heavy for deer. i shoot a bt 82nd with a 463gr arrow at 29" dl. when i hit one, we both know it. people who shoot the mimimum of 5gr per pound of dw are pushing their luck in my opinion. i believe that over time, shooting arrows that light will affect the bow in a bad way. besides, with my setup, the heavier arrows seem to shoot quieter and more accurate.

Off the shelf

The engineer in me wants to understand how energy is dissipated in a arrow while it's decelerating in a deer. I really don't know.

First, it's logical that some energy is lost to shaft flex and vibration due to the back of the arrow trying to outrun the front. Spine would be critical in keeping the energy from being lost to these things. Weight of the front end vrs weight overall would be an issue. Speed would have to be in balance with these other factors. So how fast a given arrow (weight, spine, length, speed) depends on a balance of factors. It seems to me that it's possible that a low spine arrow would actually lose more energy on deceleration due to flex at high speed, than it would if you slowed that same arrow down.

Bottom line, penetration tests would be the best test.
    Personally, I am shooting heavy stiff arrows at deer.

How about using feathers? Would help with the FOC.
    FBSA Member