You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: splitting pins

Default splitting pins

When shooting 3d how does everybody here shoot a 35 yd shot? I assume you all straddle your 30 and 40 yard pins. How about 37? Aim low with the 40 or some version of splitting them. Love to hear some info from the experts

I'm not an expert but I've had better luck holding low or high with a specific pin instead of trying to split them.

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

For ranges like 25, 35 I split pins dead center. For the odd ranges like 23, 27, 32 ect... I split the pins and then space evenly for the number of yards I am estimating between the nearest 10 pin and the next highest 5 yard. So for 27 yds, I would split my 20 and 30 pins then shoot my split a little high. Make sense? Hard to explain, but that's what I do.
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

I shoot better holding high with a 20 yard pin on a 25 yard target rather than shooting the gap. Or holding low with a 30 yard pin.
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

Thumbs up

When I Set Up My Pin's For Hunter Class I Put My First Pin At 25 And Then 30 And 35 And 40. Then Shoot High Or Low From There.

I use one fixed pin set dead on at 30yd....hold an inch low for 20-25 and hold an inch or so high for 37-43 yds..easier for me to gap that way.
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com

I shoot Mens Unlimited in the ASA and I set my pins as such.

20,27,32,37,42,47 I keep the 20 pin for shooting 20 yard spots. and at 284 FPS 25 yards is only about 1/2 inch low using 20 yard pin. Also I use .010 pins that is how I get my pin settings. And I do use a higher yardage pin alittle low to rise to the point of impact. Hope this helps.

2012 Bow Tech Pro Staff
    Sword Pro Staff Vane Tech Pro Staff
    Gold Tip Factory Staff Coffey marketing
    A.S.A. IL. State Director

Quote Originally Posted by Hummel View Post
    When shooting 3d how does everybody here shoot a 35 yd shot? I assume you all straddle your 30 and 40 yard pins. How about 37? Aim low with the 40 or some version of splitting them. Love to hear some info from the experts
    I use a 35 pin. 20-35-50-60 but thats cause I'm unique.

I feel like its easier to aim high but I've found in reality, I would target shoot with better results holding low....easier to see your spot looking over the pin than under it.

But on a live animal.....I would never aim low unless it was under my 20 pin.

Don't ask me why.
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

thanks for the input. I have been thinking about doing some pin shifting away from the 20 30 40 50 setup, but I shoot 3d to become a better shooter for hunting. With that in mind, I don't think I would go to the woods with a 27 yard pin. I'm not much for having a different set up for hunting and 3d

Best thing to do is Shoot 25yrds wity your 20 pin and see how low it is if any then do the same with all your other pins then you know.

when I shot pins, my 20 was good to 25 and still be in the 10 ring, anything over that I steped up to my 30 pin, good to 34 yrds. If it was 35 plus I went to my 40 pin.

Its all about your set-up and knowing how it shoots in relation to your pins.
    Mathews Ovation 60 lbs 29 Dl- Ranger custom Strings
    HHA 5500 ol - Trophy Taker shakey hunter-
    Tru Ball pro diamond- Gold Tip X-cutters= awsome shootin'
    (new)FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews Man View Post
    Best thing to do is Shoot 25yrds wity your 20 pin and see how low it is if any then do the same with all your other pins then you know.

when I shot pins, my 20 was good to 25 and still be in the 10 ring, anything over that I steped up to my 30 pin, good to 34 yrds. If it was 35 plus I went to my 40 pin.

Its all about your set-up and knowing how it shoots in relation to your pins.
    Very helpful! Thanks!
    Hoyt Vtec +
    Rage Broadheads
    =
    A lot of blood.