You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default spine and total arrow weight

i know this gets kicked around all the time but...
    i am shooting good groups with axis 400 st's @ 70 lbs with 29"shafts and 100gr. tips =361gr. total
    but i just checked eastons chart and i think i should 'technically' be shooting a 340 spine.
    and i also dont know if the math on gpi is accurate. 9gpi @29"=261+ 100gr tip=361 , but that dosent include nock and vane weight, right?if so i am really more like 381?
    the only odd thing about arrow flight is every once in a while i see one fish-tail or corkscrew a little winding up 3-4 inches out of group (10 arrows )
    i guess i started using st400's because they are heavier than the 5575's i was shooting and i wanted a better penetration.i cant say i remember even checking spine when i switched.
    i am trying to start shooting some 3-d and indoor and i could use some advice

Yep the Easton shaft calculator puts you in the 340 series. Personally I have found the Axis spine to be a little stiffer than printed. The good news is your arrow is plenty heavy enough for your bow. You also forgot to add the weight of the insert.

Does the same arrow seem to fly bad or just every now and then you get a flyer? I would bet to say if it is not consistantly the same arrow you are not making a clean release.

As far as these working on your bow setup... I think you'll be fine...
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

about the occasional flyer , i should probably just take the blame for those.
    if my spines are on the weak side, what would they do in flight? would i ever get a consistant group at all?other than maybe getting lucky?
    oh yeah, inserts...
    i would like to stay pretty light but if i am borderline on spine will heavier weight help compensate, or are the two completely seperate in how they affect flight?
    i guess if i get pretty deep into it i may need to pick up a scale

fiddle , i see you may know something about sword sights , i'd like to pm you a question or two

Quote Originally Posted by the contractor View Post
    about the occasional flyer , i should probably just take the blame for those.
    if my spines are on the weak side, what would they do in flight? would i ever get a consistant group at all?other than maybe getting lucky?
    oh yeah, inserts...
    i would like to stay pretty light but if i am borderline on spine will heavier weight help compensate, or are the two completely seperate in how they affect flight?
    i guess if i get pretty deep into it i may need to pick up a scale
    I wouldn't recommend using any heavier tips than what you are right now. The more tip weight you put on that arrow the more you are breaking down the spine.

If I were testing the shafts I would shoot it thru paper and see if I am getting a clean hole at varying distance starting at about 7 to 10 feet away. If you are underspined no matter what you do you won't be able to get a clean tear. If you don't know how to paper tune let me know and I will try to post a link to a thread on here or AT that explains how to do it.

As far as the Sword questions go ahead and fire me a PM and I would be happy to help you as much as I can...

Here is a pretty good illustration on what the tares might look like and gives you instructions on how to correct potential problems... http://www.papertuning.com/

Your very close to 400 grains total arrow weight. I'll go out on a limb and say 391 on the dot!

w/blazers ofcourse
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

blazers is right.if I'm pushing 400 I could come off point weight a little for targets? Where can I check foc?is that terribly critical?either way I chrono at 291 so I'm happy with that

If you can find the balance point of the arrow and measure from the crotch of the nock to the point on the shaft where it balances at I can tell you what your FOC is...