You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Question sight housing falling off

New to the Art and Sport. Please help. My TruGlo sight housing fell off an broke. Before going out and purchasing helpful my dream sight the Spott-Hogg. I'd like to know if my problem is the position that I have my sight bracket place at the sight window. It was placed on the last hole go out. Should I move the bracket closer in. The reason I have the housing so low is that's the only way my sight pins will line-up for five oins out two 50yds. I'm not saying I'd ever take such a shot at an animal. But it sure would be nice to hit the plate at 50yds.

Which TruGlo model do you have?

Model TG550XB 5 pin with replaced 20yd pin with TFO pin and light

That's a good solid sight and should't have a problem. From the photos, it looks like there are three sets of mounting holes. It should be ok in any one of the three.

The decision on which set of hole to use should be controlled by your sight picture. You want to be able to see the round housing with a tiny bit of daylight all the way around it. Your draw length, anchor point and peep size will also play a part in this.

If you can't get to 50 yards with a sight, you usually need to bring it a little closer to the riser. When you do this, you may have to change to a larger peep.

You might also ask someone about your anchor point. Sometimes this can play a part in sight location. However, most of us have worked pretty hard to develop a good consistent anchor and don't want to change it. So it's usually better to adjust sight extension and peep size.

Hope this helps,
    Allen

I've purchased the new bracket for the TruGlo and have tried all three bracket holes on the riser of my Bladerunner(26in axle-axle 26in-32in dl 40lbs-70lbs dw sight window 5 1/2in) with whisker biscuit,3/16 peep and d-loop. I'm drawing 62lbs with 30in draw length. The housing is still being mount very low on to the bracket, so low the 20yd pin is halfway down the sight. Yes, you are one thousand % correct about my anchor. At 56yrs old to change this would kill these old muscles

Those are neat litttle bows. I've never handled one, but I can see that it is a little bit different than longer bows when it comes to setting up the sight.

Maybe not different, it's just a little more critical to get everything set up just right. It's much the same when I switch from my 42" Scepter target bow to my 31" Justice hunting bow.

The shorter your bow's ATA, the further away from your eye the peep is at full draw. For me this means that I go from a tiny peep to the largest peep that I can find and my DL is only 26". If I had a longer DL, I probably would not be able to find a peep that's big enough.

Since they don't make peeps big enough, It creates problems keeping a good sight picture and setting up your sight for longer shots. You will probably have to move the sight as far away from the riser as it can be set up or find a sight with a smaller diameter housing. I use the Copper John Little John sight. It's about the smallest one that I could find. You might have better luck.

Unfortunately, as you move the sight away from the riser, it reduces the distance that you can sight in.

It would do no good to tell you "short bows = short range shots". It's your bow and you want it to do the things you ask of it. And it should. You will just have a bit of a trial & error process to get the sight and the balanced for you. At least while you are doing it, you'll be shooting your bow.

Does Bladerunner Archery offer anything to help you with this?

Hope this helps,
    Allen

Wink

Your advice is point on again Allen. But I'm afraid that if I extend sight out any further I'll be add weight to bow. It's already heavy for it's size, but I'v learned that sometimes wgt is good for stablity. Might try go to 340gr arrows instead of 400's with 100gr bheads. Or maybe get one of those G5 Optix/Limbsaver sights with the movable pin. Thanks for the help