You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Where do you aim and why?

ASA scoring 14 ring in play.

Javelina Your the first shooter. Dark target in dark hard woods. 31 yrds but you dont know the distance.

Wolf Shooting from the Hardwoods to open field. 41 yrds but you dont know the yardage.

First tells us how you would go about judging the distance. Then where would you aim.

Here how I would be judging these.

Javelina
    First its a dark target in a dark hole. Im thinking its going to look farther than it is.
    Im shooting center ten being the first shooter.

Wolf
    Tougest judge I feel one can do. Shooting from the woods to the open field. Bright sun on the target my first idea is its going to look closer than it is with the sun on it. I once again shoot center ten. Tough judge for me at this distance. Take my ten and be happy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

We don't score 14's...aim for the ten ring and let it rip.
    Proud Member of the FBSA

3D for CP - www.archeryata.com/3dcp.html

I shoot for center 12's. Whether it be the high or low in play I just shoot at the line on the center. I.E. If the top was in play I would aim at the top line of the center 12. I have made a vow not to shoot at any 14's this year. Not confident enough yet, and I don't need to give myself a reason to get frustrated or second guess my decision.

As far as judging. I am getting better. I usually ground judge so flat shots aren't as bad for me as having to judge the hilly shots.

Default Tip

Quote Originally Posted by jbsoonerfan View Post
    I shoot for center 12's. Whether it be the high or low in play I just shoot at the line on the center. I.E. If the top was in play I would aim at the top line of the center 12. I have made a vow not to shoot at any 14's this year. Not confident enough yet, and I don't need to give myself a reason to get frustrated or second guess my decision.

As far as judging. I am getting better. I usually ground judge so flat shots aren't as bad for me as having to judge the hilly shots.

Consider this. Javelina is a easy five if you make a low shot. Dont under judge him and consider that when shooting the 12. If Im shooting at the 12 on this target. I judge it and add a yard always.

DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

AIM IN THE DIRECTION OF THE TARGET?

The Wolf.- Thats easy, i did this last season... go for the 14!!! and get a 5

Nope, not gonna do it this year.. going to play it safe, only going for 10's.. and 12's when they are visible.
    New Breed Archery
    Gold Tip - Spot-Hogg

Default Catch foam

Quote Originally Posted by possum boy View Post
    AIM IN THE DIRECTION OF THE TARGET?
    Just aim at the target? Thats a thought. Not sure if that helps the score!
    Best judge the distance first.
    DB

For me I would take the 14 at the javelina and here is why. I judge distance much better when I am in the timber than I do out in the open regardless of lighting conditions (unless of course its pitch black) always have. So I would be more confident taking a little bit riskier shot in the timber than out in the open. On the wolf you are going from shadow to light which is going to screw with your depth perception for me it always makes thinks appear closer than what they are, so I would play it safe on the wolf and shoot for a ten.

Often times I just aim at the target and let the arrow go.
    I cannot se the scoring rings for the life of me.
    I aim for the vitals and that's about it.

Must be getting old or something.....

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

For me I would aim hard at the 12 ring on the javalina and shoot for 32 yards, the wolf would aim on top of 12 ring and shoot for 41 and might just drop in the 12, both cases the worst I should receive is a 10

When in doubt... shoot to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by FOBsKILL View Post
    When in doubt... shoot to kill.

Exactly!! I am for vitals and not worry about the score.
    That course was so easy I even missed a target !!

usually high and to the right for some reason

FBSA Member
    http://www.thefbsa.com
    Mathews Drenalin
    Sword Acu-Site http://www.swordacu-site.com
    Schmidtys Specialty Strings, QAD Ultra Rest HD,Radial XWeave Pro 300 Arrows,Limb Savers, Shuttle T-Lock Broadheads, Tru Fire Release, Super Peep W/ Clarifier, Equalizer Stabilizer
    Guests Please register here http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index...eferrerid=8588 it will only take a second