You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: dumb question

Default dumb question

My son got an archery scope and it came with the fiber optic pins loose in package. They are tapered and lens is drilled. How are they installed? Just push in? Cut off melt ends? Anyone give me some help? It is a cartel scope.
    Athens Factory Staff Shooter
    Dead Center Archery Staff Shooter/Tru Ball staff shooter/Bohning Shooting Staff
    K&E Taxidermy
    http://www.freewebs.com/gerrystaxidermy/index.htm

If it is loose in the package probably something got damaged and it you can send it back, I would and get another scope sent to you. Because there shouldve already been a fiber in the scope itself. Hope this helps. I have never heard of no fibers not already being installed in the scope....

Quote Originally Posted by 3dshooter View Post
    If it is loose in the package probably something got damaged and it you can send it back, I would and get another scope sent to you. Because there shouldve already been a fiber in the scope itself. Hope this helps. I have never heard of no fibers not already being installed in the scope....
    I had one that came with different color fibers...You just push the one you want through the hole in the lens...they wedge in there pretty tight.

Do you cut them off? Melt ends? They do come loose in package with different colors to choose from They do wedge in tight but wasn't sure if they get cut short or not. No instructions included.
    K&E Taxidermy

Quote Originally Posted by kebees4 View Post
    Do you cut them off? Melt ends? They do come loose in package with different colors to choose from They do wedge in tight but wasn't sure if they get cut short or not. No instructions included.
    The lens I had came with a red and a green about 3/4 long I guess.
    I was told to just leave them that long and push them in the lens...
    You could always email Carter to get the suggested method...???

If your fiber seems a little loose when sliding it into the lens you can first take a pliers and slightly clamp the center area of the fiber where it would be positioned in the lens this will give the fiber a slight oval effect thus snuging up fit so its not flopping around loose I would take a little heat and ball the ends some just a little so fiber will draw enough light and you have a nice aiming dot.
    Some have used wax to hold their pin, I'm not a fan of this do to the mess that can end up on a lens that may show up right at the fiber optic dot area - your aiming area when looking thru and aiming.

Just something we have done in the past when setting these up I hope this helps

A side note for outdoor we have went away from center drilled lens and have either used sticker dots on a lens or a normal lens used with a fiber optic wrap with a up post allowing a person to take the lens out of a scope but yet still have the fiber optic for aiming with less magnification do to the course or weather conditions

Good Luck and theres never a dumb question here!
    Ask away
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

Quote Originally Posted by JDX-- View Post
    If your fiber seems a little loose when sliding it into the lens you can first take a pliers and slightly clamp the center area of the fiber where it would be positioned in the lens this will give the fiber a slight oval effect thus snuging up fit so its not flopping around loose I would take a little heat and ball the ends some just a little so fiber will draw enough light and you have a nice aiming dot.
    Some have used wax to hold their pin, I'm not a fan of this do to the mess that can end up on a lens that may show up right at the fiber optic dot area - your aiming area when looking thru and aiming.

Just something we have done in the past when setting these up I hope this helps

A side note for outdoor we have went away from center drilled lens and have either used sticker dots on a lens or a normal lens used with a fiber optic wrap with a up post allowing a person to take the lens out of a scope but yet still have the fiber optic for aiming with less magnification do to the course or weather conditions

Good Luck and theres never a dumb question here!
    Ask away
    Thanks Jeff,
    That's why we let you hang around...

Thanks everyone
    K&E Taxidermy