You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Aiming Question

Default Aiming Question

Okay I finally got my problem solved with dropping shots low...it was a combination of a very weak front side and an inconsistent anchor point. I was anchoring on the side of my nose but that caused me to really only have one reference point so I was floating around alittle and that inconsistancy was causing me to drop my arrows low from time to time. So I switched it out to anchoring off the front of my nose and using that and the corner of my mouth as reference points and I am now keeping my arrows up towards the center.

Anyways I have been noticing a trend lately that has me very confused, and I am not sure how to deal with it so I thought I would summons that vasts amounts of knowledge (and even vaster amounts of BS ) to help me correct it.

About 3-4 weeks ago I stopped looking at the pin and started concentrating on the X trying to get more consistant, it is the X I want to hit after all not the pin. Anyways, now that I have started doing that I feel like my concentration has gotten alot better and I am now shooting more inside out X's, but what I am noticing is that there are times when my brain will not subconsiously bring my pin onto the X and it will hang out pretty much wherever it wants, its not a case of I can't bring it over but more of a case of honestly not knowing where the pin is at. When I look through the pin to the X I no long even see my pins. Things are now to the point where I have trouble even focusing on the pin for a split second because I got so focused on the X. I have noticed that if I trying to keep the pin in even a slight bit of focus that I get very wild and to be honest get one hell of a headache.

My question is, when you guys settle in do you look at the pin to get settled and then stare through it to the X, or do you even worry about the pin at all and just stare at the X?

I'll give this a shot, but this conversation will be more about opinions of people, and what works for them..that doesn't mean it will work for you. But, I'll tell you what I do, and if you give it a try, and it works, GREAT! If not, it was worth a try.

For my hunting set-up (no scope), here is my shot sequence.
    1)Pull back controlled and slow, with pin starting anywhere from 6-12" above the target

2)Focus on lining up the outside of my peep with the outside of my sight. Once centered, I look through the sight and lock onto the X.

3) As the X enters the CENTER of my sight, I take all of my attention and look for probably 1/4 of a second at the pin. That way I make sure I'm using the correct one, and it gives me a second to not have the pin so blurry, and I can line it up with the X.

4) Once the pin settles on the X (looking at the pin), I take all of my focus and put it back on the X. I know for a fact the pin is on the X, because I looked at the pin a moment ago, so now it is just a matter of looking at the X and not letting it move all over your sight. Keep it centered and shoot through your sight.

***meaning, pull of the shot, and try to see your arrow going to the target THROUGH your sight...don't look up, or over your bow to see the shot, or that will make you start pulling left, or missing low.

Hope this advice helps you bud! Shoot straight!
    2007 Hoyt Vectrix

Quote Originally Posted by swintj1 View Post
    I'll give this a shot, but this conversation will be more about opinions of people, and what works for them..that doesn't mean it will work for you. But, I'll tell you what I do, and if you give it a try, and it works, GREAT! If not, it was worth a try.

1)Pull back controlled and slow, with pin starting anywhere from 6-12" above the target

2)Focus on lining up the outside of my peep with the outside of my sight. Once centered, I look through the sight and lock onto the X.

3) As the X enters the CENTER of my sight, I take all of my attention and look for probably 1/4 of a second at the pin. That way I make sure I'm using the correct one, and it gives me a second to not have the pin so blurry, and I can line it up with the X.

4) Once the pin settles on the X (looking at the pin), I take all of my focus and put it back on the X. I know for a fact the pin is on the X, because I looked at the pin a moment ago, so now it is just a matter of looking at the X and not letting it move all over your sight. Keep it centered and shoot through your sight.

***meaning, pull of the shot, and try to see your arrow going to the target THROUGH your sight...don't look up, or over your bow to see the shot, or that will make you start pulling left, or missing low.

That is one thing that hurts me I know and I am not sure how to fix it and that is I do not settle well. My float is very large and many times i have alot of trouble trusting it. That might be my problem here and not so much that the issue that I started talking about I do not know. Its very hard to troubleshoot these things without a knowledgeable person to watch and give advice.

try this....

Look across the room at a door knob.... now with both eyes open hold your arm straight out and align your index finger with the center of the door knob..... now hold it there while you focus on the knob...

Now try it with only one eye...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
    try this....

Look across the room at a door knob.... now with both eyes open hold your arm straight out and align your index finger with the center of the door knob..... now hold it there while you focus on the knob...

Now try it with only one eye...
    Javi,

I don't know if you are trying to make me look like a total fool sitting in my house pointing at door knobs or not (thank god I live alone).

Okay so it was easier with one eye to hold where I was pointing, is that what you are getting at? I need to close my left eye?

Quote Originally Posted by scmelik View Post
    Javi,

I don't know if you are trying to make me look like a total fool sitting in my house pointing at door knobs or not (thank god I live alone).

Okay so it was easier with one eye to hold where I was pointing, is that what you are getting at? I need to close my left eye?
    Some people simply can't use both eyes....I'm blessed that I can but several of my students can't... for those I often suggest a clip on blinder... that allows them to keep both eyes open to avoid the tension of closing one eye and yet block the mutiple vision that can creep in occasionally...

They're inexpensive about $10-$12
    Last edited by JAVI; 01-03-2010 at 01:56 PM.
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
    Some people simply can't use both eyes....I'm blessed that I can but several of my students can't... for those I often suggest a clip on blinder... that allows them to keep both eyes open to avoid the tension of closing one eye and yet block the mutiple vision that can creep in occasionally...

They're inexpensive about $10-$12
    cool i can look like an amish horse pulling a buggy when i shoot !! seriously though good point i cant do squat with both eyes open and that would definitely cure that.

FBSA Member
    http://www.thefbsa.com
    Mathews Drenalin
    Sword Acu-Site http://www.swordacu-site.com
    Schmidtys Specialty Strings, QAD Ultra Rest HD,Radial XWeave Pro 300 Arrows,Limb Savers, Shuttle T-Lock Broadheads, Tru Fire Release, Super Peep W/ Clarifier, Equalizer Stabilizer
    Guests Please register here http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index...eferrerid=8588 it will only take a second

Quote Originally Posted by swintj1 View Post

This is scarily similar to my method!
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." - Phillipians 4:13
    Quickstand Archery
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings
    God's Country Outdoors

Off the shelf

Quote Originally Posted by trussoni View Post
    cool i can look like an amish horse pulling a buggy when i shoot !! seriously though good point i cant do squat with both eyes open and that would definitely cure that.
    This may not work in archery but back when I shot bullseye pistol I used a black dot over the lense of my left eye. I can't shoot with both eyes on the target. I am a converted lefty. I do everyting right handed, but my eyes never got the memo.