You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Having trouble

Question Having trouble

I have been having touble with my sighting groups. I can place 4 out of 6 arrows in an 8in circle at 20 yrds. But my trouble is consitancy. I would like to place 6 out of 6 in 6 inches. Any suggestions as to what may help me?

WELCOME to the forum..........How long have you been shooting? What type of bow are you shooting?? Are you using a release or fingers?? Does the bow fit you correctly(draw length, draw weight,)?? I would say patience and proper follow through are most important. Most of all relax and have fun. It will come to you just takes a while. Good luck

"HONDA"

pratice makes perfect keep workin on it

Site Guru

A lot of really good questions have been asked by the guys above...

with todays equipment and releases there is no real excuse not to be shooting 1 - 2 inch groups at 20 or 30 yards. I've heard the old "hit a pieplate at 20 yards" rule for hunting and personally I can't say I'm comfortable with that...

There is no reason to not be shooting tight groups before you put on your camo and go out in the woods.... cause if your not consistant your going to miss and wound the animal instead of kill it.

You didn't mention your equipment. I have found that sometimes it's the arrows. You may want to mark the arrows that are outside the "group." See if they are consistently outside the group. They may not appear to have anything wrong with them, but not all arrows fly the same.

I agree with DREDLY. Unless your a beginner, shooting traditional equipment, or using a 25 year old compound bow, your groups ought to be pretty tight at 20 yards.
    Home-a-lite
    "Doing the best I can....AT ALL TIMES!"

Hunting:
    02 Mighty Mite 27'' 72lbs
    Beman Matrix 468gr. 255fps

Target:
    04 Protec 27.5'' 70lbs
    GT Pro22 349gr. 260fps

Home A Lite makes some very good points. I always fletch my arrows with the same colored vanes or feathers even on my hunting arrows. When I begin shooting groups with them and see that some are out I keep those arrows separated and shoot again. if the same arrows are out again I give the nock a turn to the next position and see if it helps. Then if they are my hunting arrows I will take a sharpie marker and mark the **** vane with it. For my target arrows I don't mark them at all because there really is no reason. Hope this helps
    Target: Hoyt ProElite XT3000 C2, 60# 30", CBE Quad Lite, CBE 3x .019, Trophy Taker, Easton Fatboy 400's(indoor) lightspeed 400 (outdoor)

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade

I am going to disagree w/everyone here and say its probably the bow you should go and get a new one........just kidding......these guys have asked most of the questions I would have asked.....

And Radar i am not sure but being it is a actual archery word I think you could have used it......
    I cut things up and split them down!

So wilddawg how is it going????? I hope we are not boring you to death with our questions here. Just trying to help you shrink those groups.

And Adam, I remember reading something that in some JOAD courses they are no longer allowed to use the term **** vane its not politically correct. I think it is a bunch of #$@!%%&*$$%###$%^^^ but then again thats just me.

EDIT-----Hey Chris what happened I used the term and it edited it out??????????? Are you becoming politically correct also?
    Last edited by BowhuntnHoosier; 08-09-2006 at 07:51 AM.

"HONDA"

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    So wilddawg how is it going????? I hope we are not boring you to death with our questions here. Just trying to help you shrink those groups.

And Adam, I remember reading something that in some JOAD courses they are no longer allowed to use the term **** vane its not politically correct. I think it is a bunch of #$@!%%&*$$%###$%^^^ but then again thats just me.

EDIT-----Hey Chris what happened I used the term and it edited it out??????????? Are you becoming politically correct also?
    So what are we supposed to call it now? The Minority vane? the Other vane?

Default ?

I got confused reading BOWMAN's reply and went back and looked and my post was edited? Oh well I guess we just have to find a new word for it. How about the Polish Vane If anyone out there is Polish I apologize and mean no offense or anything derogatory by it
    Target: Hoyt ProElite XT3000 C2, 60# 30", CBE Quad Lite, CBE 3x .019, Trophy Taker, Easton Fatboy 400's(indoor) lightspeed 400 (outdoor)

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    I got confused reading BOWMAN's reply and went back and looked and my post was edited? Oh well I guess we just have to find a new word for it. How about the Polish Vane If anyone out there is Polish I apologize and mean no offense or anything derogatory by it

Yea... my feelings are hurt now.

I am sorry but the line about the minority vane is absolutly the funniest stuff I have heard on here in a while......that is good humor......

Around these parts we call it the odd vane.....so would that make the others the not odd vanes.....or simply the evens?????

ODD vane kinda resembles us huh Adam. I just wonder if maybe rooster vane would be correct???

"HONDA"

Rooster and **** that would start a hole bunch of people fighting would it not?????

So what you are saying is there is one rooster for every two hens in our world of archery????? I like living here......

Thanks but no thanks ONE HEN IS ENOUGH

"HONDA"

what if they were mutes, that would be great, and if they never learned what a honey do list was that would be spectaculer

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    Thanks but no thanks ONE HEN IS ENOUGH
    MORE then enough!

Definitely practice, and consistency. Make sure you are anchoring at the same point every time. Also if you haven't been shooting long fatigue can do a lot to your accuracy. Keep it up and good luck.

The politically correct term is "index vane".

The fastest way to learn to shoot is to get good coaching. A coach will make sure that your equipment fits you and is appropriate to the things that you want to do in archery. They will then show you the form that is effective for most archers.

The groups you are shooting now are nowhere near as good as you can shoot with just a little help.

Good luck,
    Allen