You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Just keep on practicin........
    Last edited by BowhuntnHoosier; 02-23-2009 at 07:20 PM.

"HONDA"

Here's a thought...I'm no pro, but this info might help some people.

When I shoot, I have a chronic problem of shooting a 299. I can shoot anywhere from 44-50X every game, yet I still shoot a 299 almost everytime! What is happening? Well, what people at my club believe, and I agree, is that after I shoot the first 20 arrows, and everything is going great...maybe I have a 100, 18X game...I start ASSUMING I'm going to get my 300 and get a lot of X's. Then, magically...as I get closer and closer to the end...I start missing more X's and usually shoot one arrow low, in the blue, perfectly down the middle.

Why? Because I took my brain out of it and assumed I was going to shoot well. I started to tell myself a phrase right before I pull back, and it has increased my X count by about 3-5X's each game...just because of this phrase. Before each shot, I tell myself, "Nothing but X". What that does is remind my brain unless my sight is hovering on the X, DON'T SHOOT! When I get relaxed and am shooting well...I feel like I can't miss...so when I pull back, and my pin never settles, or I get stuck below the X, and I tell myself "Just jerk up and release at the same time...it'll hit the X"...guess what??? It never does!

So, by telling myself "Nothing but X" before I shoot...I make sure my sight window is how I imagine a PERFECT X shot. I shoot a True Spot, so for me, that means the X hovering in the center of my lens. If I have it where the X keeps splashing in and out of the lens...that isn't how a PERFECT X shot looks in my mind, so that is my trigger in my head to tell me to let down and start over.

So, I think pressure is a huge factor for those who can shoot 300,59X everytime, but for those of us around the 50X range...I think the difference between shooting the 50X and the 59/60X game, is concentration. FOCUS on every shot, and tell yourself before you begin your sequence..."I want this to look picture perfect...and if it isn't, I'm not squeezing it off." It might take you 2 or 3 let-downs to get that perfect sight window...but when you get it, and you hit the dead center of the X...it sure is worth it.

Just a thought. Hope it helps someone.

Good luck boys/gals - shoot straight!
    2007 Hoyt Vectrix

What the heck ???????
    Happened while I was shooting?
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Indoor archery seems so easy but yet so hard.
    DB
    Man, it's more than that to me.

I can lead off a doe walking across my shooting lane and nail it. Every time. Never had a ligitimate shot at a buck and never took one.

But, when I start shooting spots, even by myself or in in jcmorgans virtual smackdown league, I get to a point where I might lose it right from the start. Or, in one case in this last smack he put on, I went several ends that were good or perfect then the wheels completely fell off. It was strange to me because I was not under pressure. I was having fun and just shooting like I had nothing to lose. And it WAS because I had nothing to lose. And I have no pride to lose either in this sport. I just love to have fun. But I have to admit I'm fairly new to target archery so their are things that I do not understand. All I know is that I was not a nervous wreck shooting these rounds and ends. All I know is that I was wondering what the heck was going on...

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

Quote Originally Posted by JDX-- View Post
    What the heck ???????
    Happened while I was shooting?
    Were you thinking too much ?

Heck, I have no clue....

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    Its all about the money.................

Or you could just think about the next shot as the only shot and not as 60 of them put together. Just say you only have one shot each time to yourself. But what the heck do I know I'm not a PRO or friends of any PRO's.
    Originally Posted by bullfiddle
    Hoosier you take that back.... Now Mister... Jeff and Jess are both Pro shooters and BFF's..

Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier
    Nope I am not doing it.....................they don't like me Fiddle. I got vibes from them.

Originally Posted by JDX--
    What the heck ??????? Happened here
    while I was shooting?

What a bummer

Quote Originally Posted by JDX-- View Post
    The numbers can be barriers that will be knocked down in time, when practicing at home if you’re trying to break the 300 level and you always fall short then shoot an extra round or so for score in your daily practice until you hit the 300
    The same goes with your X counts
    And in time you will be able to do this 12 rounds instead of 13 or14 and your sub conscious mind will be used to the scores which you so desire and this will not be as much of a barrier to cross
    Jeff,

This works! It only took me three extra ends to get the 60 X's. My X count picked up just because I went in knowing that I was going to shoot 60 X's, but without the pressure to do it in regulation.

This was just the first try and honestly, I did it without any real conviction, just the decision to shoot 60 X's. Now that I can put conviction behind it, I'm thinking that it will work even better.

Great tip! Thank you,
    Allen

y'all think too much

Thinking during a tournament has ruined many a score...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Alot of truth in that Javi

I didn't have any problems shooting last night

I just can't make sence of what happened here while I was away

Kinda takes the wind out of your sails at times so to speak

Take Care Folks

Congrats Allen with your progression
    Good Luck

Default Amen Javi

Quote Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
    y'all think too much

How many times have we shot two bad shots or shot a four. Took the pressure off and you never missed another X the entire round. Over thinking it.

We make this game to hard.

DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    How many times have we shot two bad shots or shot a four. Took the pressure off and you never missed another X the entire round. Over thinking it.

We make this game to hard.

DB

Story of my spot career.....I can't relax and shoot straight intil I miss one or two spots.

Last night I made it clean to the sixth end of a 450 round, on the 7th round I cracked and put arrow number 2 in the strawberry patch, then just for good measure I threw arrow number 3 in the 9 ring. After that it was smooth sailing the rest of the round.

When I'm on a roll I know I am going to miss before I even draw the arrow.......................tell me that ain't a mental problem

Quote Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
    y'all think too much

I think I need someone to stand behind me and swat me across the shins evertime they see me think while I'm loading up a arrow.

Default Indoor nationals one year

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    Story of my spot career.....I can't relax and shoot straight intil I miss one or two spots.

Last night I made it clean to the sixth end of a 450 round, on the 7th round I cracked and put arrow number 2 in the strawberry patch, then just for good measure I threw arrow number 3 in the 9 ring. After that it was smooth sailing the rest of the round.

When I'm on a roll I know I am going to miss before I even draw the arrow.......................tell me that ain't a mental problem
    I was in fifth on day one. Was shooting really good on day two. 15 arrows left to go and I got to thinking about I got a chance to win or place. I dropped 6 arrows out of the Xring in the last 15 arrows. Still ended in 11th pace. Indoor archery just blows my mind sometimes. 20yrds and should be so simple. Not for me.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

The place to learn not to think is in training...

But only line time against people who can beat you will teach you to stand the heat... You can't build a tolerance to something you've never been exposed to...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Question I ain't got a problem !

I shoot in my sleep and do quite well ,it's when I got my eyes open things go wrong!

I'm a below 300 shooter (like a long way down )and proud of it,can only improve!