You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default 82nd Airborne or 101st Airborne?? Which One??

I have a 28" Draw and am looking at either the 82nd or 101st Airborne. It will be used 75% hunting and 25% Hunter 3d. I know speed isn't everything, but I hope to hunt out West soon and may get some longer distance shots at larger animals. I would greatly appreciate some input from anyone who has shot these two bows. For the record, I do have a guardian now that I love. I can't help it. I just am anxious for something new.
    Ph.4:13-"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.":

Default had the same problem last year

i looked at both and shot both last year and went with the 101st little slower but i liked the feel of it with the longer brace height. ive had it for a year and shot the hell out of it and love it. was kinda dissappointed to learn they discontinued the 101st this year. ive thought about trading to the 82nd this year but just cant bring myself to get rid of the 101st. cant go wrong either way but dont know of many new 101 out there but ya should be able to find one. not sure if your gonna gain enough to really make any difference when ya hunt out here tho.

Quote Originally Posted by BioRadChad View Post
    I have a 28" Draw and am looking at either the 82nd or 101st Airborne. It will be used 75% hunting and 25% Hunter 3d. I know speed isn't everything, but I hope to hunt out West soon and may get some longer distance shots at larger animals. I would greatly appreciate some input from anyone who has shot these two bows. For the record, I do have a guardian now that I love. I can't help it. I just am anxious for something new.
    I have an 82nd and I should have bought a 101st. My advice, based on what you want to use it for, you should strongly consider the 101st. If those are the only 2 choices you would consider.

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

Quote Originally Posted by frs123 View Post
    i looked at both and shot both last year and went with the 101st little slower but i liked the feel of it with the longer brace height. ive had it for a year and shot the hell out of it and love it. was kinda dissappointed to learn they discontinued the 101st this year. ive thought about trading to the 82nd this year but just cant bring myself to get rid of the 101st. cant go wrong either way but dont know of many new 101 out there but ya should be able to find one. not sure if your gonna gain enough to really make any difference when ya hunt out here tho.
    I am surprised they dumped the 101st too. I figured they would dump the 82nd. Forgiveness counts and it took me a while and a half to get used to this bow but I think it has helped me be a better, more patient shooter.

The 82nd reminds me of a PSE carerra I had quite a while ago. Shorter brace height and fast (for the day).

I do love the grip on both the 82nd and 101st.... And the shelf being so close to your hand is just a comfortable feeling.

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

i went from a martin cougar 3 to the 101st and i almost sold it a month after i bought it. took a little bit to get used to but now i wouldnt get rid of it. thought about a new one but not sure i like the feel of the other bowtechs. so if i did it would be the 82nd but just cant see where id gain enough to make it worth it. works great for hunting and i shoot the same setup at the 3d shoots. my scores are alot better this year than they were last year.
    dont know what the h#@l im doing but im trying to figure it out

Default 82nd vs 101st

Yeah, the forgiveness issue has came to mind a bunch. I have been told you can't tell a big difference. I know either bow will be good if I just get adjusted to the one I choose. Can you guys tell a big difference on the forgivness between the two?

Default What other bow would you reccommend?

Also, if any of you could reccommend any other 2008 model "Quality" Fast Shooter...that I mind find a good deal on(Used). What would it be?

those were the only two i shot last year and the 82nd only a little so not sure on the forgiveness part. the 101st isnt as bad but still could take some getting used to. dont know anything about the fast pse and nobody i know shoots a mathews so cant help ya much on that one.
    dont know what the h#@l im doing but im trying to figure it out

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input...

I like the 101st I think its makes less noise at the shot and the 82nd has a little more vibration. I've had the 101st for about a year for 3D and paper.
    07 Bowtech Commander
    sword acu-site 3rd plane gold tips
    08 FireStorm Gray 101st Airborn
    Sword Titan,Limb Driver
    09 Bowtech Admiral

101st...Little more forgiving, easier to tune...love the bow...its now my 3D monster...find a 101 then go out and get a set of 82nd limbs..that way you have essentially 2 bows if you decide you want more speed...thats the only diff between the 2 bows.
    Last edited by hunter2678; 02-25-2009 at 08:30 AM.
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com

i have owned 101st & own 2 82nd ...82nd is hands down the best all -a-round bow....shoot both buy the best for you.

hoyt alphamax 32

I would suggest a hoyt katera. It is a great shooting platform. Very durable bow. It could take the abuse of hunting season after season. Thhey are on ebay cheap right now. $400 - $500. I am a hoyt shooter though. So I do tend to lean towards hoyt. 320 IBO speed and durability are what youll get with hoyt. But the bow has to feel good to you. My buddy just doesnt like the feel of a hoyt and loves a bowtech. We beat eachother pretty evenly at 3D.

I actually prefer the 101st.

I'm more partial to Blackhawks, sling loading and rapelling over jumping out of airpla....

Oh, nevermind, y'all mean bows....

carry on

Quote Originally Posted by steve bear View Post
    i have owned 101st & own 2 82nd ...82nd is hands down the best all -a-round bow....shoot both buy the best for you.
    I too owned both and the 82nd is hands down the best model IMHO as well. I shot both these bows for almost 2 months. So it wasn't like a few shots at a shop.

The 82nd is faster, quieter, & every bit as shootable as the 101st. I'd say BowTech knew what they were doing when they just brought the 82nd back this year

Dan
    Maker of MEANV STRING SUPPRESSORS
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

I have a 101st, and it is a great shooting bow. I like the longer brace height, and at the speeds they get, I don't think the 10 fps for the shorter brace height is that big of a deal. My 3D rig was going over 315 and my hunting rig was almost 300, and both at 65 lbs. I have it for sale over on AT, and I'm going to miss it when it's gone.

Default Thanks Guys!

Well, I actually had a buddy give me a great deal on his "Like New" Allegiance. It has a little shorter ata length, but still puts up some good speeds.I like it...but still am thinking about the 82nd or 101st. I guess I should have kept my Guardian for hunting and looked for another bow, like the 82nd or 101st, for 3D and Paper.

Quote Originally Posted by MeanV2 View Post
    I too owned both and the 82nd is hands down the best model IMHO as well. I shot both these bows for almost 2 months. So it wasn't like a few shots at a shop.

The 82nd is faster, quieter, & every bit as shootable as the 101st. I'd say BowTech knew what they were doing when they just brought the 82nd back this year

Dan
    I have an 08 guardian and an 08 82nd. If I had bought the 82nd first, I
    would have two of them right now.