You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default ASA Marked yardage question

Member here ask me this question. Maybe some here can give him some good input. Thanks!

Would you set your bow up with a field archer set up(smaller diamentor arrows) or would you set the bow up with the larger diamentor arrows like most 3ders for line cutting ability?
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

I never shot in an ASA event and not knowing ASA rules but I would think that it would depend on the longest distance for a shot and the venues the shoots were at and their topo layouts.

If I did not have that info I would probably go with a mid diameter, light arrow like an Easton Lightspeed or something along those lines. Split the answer down the middle...

Good question.

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

Default Marked yardage

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    I never shot in an ASA event and not knowing ASA rules but I would think that it would depend on the longest distance for a shot and the venues the shoots were at and their topo layouts.

If I did not have that info I would probably go with a mid diameter, light arrow like an Easton Lightspeed or something along those lines. Split the answer down the middle...

Good question.

Ron

Is 50yrds max. Of course the 3d targets are marked but cant be seen with naked eye. My thoughts are the field type set up would be best. But for me its a toss up. Levi and most top gun pros shoot those larger diamentor arrows well out to 50yrds.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

It is all preference. I've seen the line jammers and I've seen the mid diameter. The ones that impress me are the guys who step there with those Nano's and continually lay them in the 12 and 14 rings. 11 if IBO. There are definately some shooters! Since you are asking about marked yardage you had better bring your A game. There will be plenty of spot shooters with very high scores, to me the unmarked game is the most fun for 3D. Otherwise you are just shooting FITA.
    Rhino
    Michigan
    2007 X-Force 6
    28"/53 lbs
    X-Weave Pro 100's

For me, it would depend on wind.

Windy, I'm going with small diameter shafts.

Large dia and lots of weight in the front. Not worried about speed since you know the yardage and the large dia for line cutting capabilities. In most pro/am situations the wind seems not to be that big of a factor.
    Goldtip Arrows,T.R.U. Ball Releases
    ,Bohning vanes

Quote Originally Posted by okarcher View Post
    Large dia and lots of weight in the front. Not worried about speed since you know the yardage and the large dia for line cutting capabilities. In most pro/am situations the wind seems not to be that big of a factor.

ditto, you know the yardage, shoot the largest arrow you can legally shoot.

+1 go large

I really like the Fat Shafts.....Victory X-Ringers for me.

"HONDA"

Default 45 known

I am heading to Hattiesburg with my field setup. 55lb conny acc49 125 up front. Taking out the 6x putting in a 4x and bigger hole in the super peep.
    going to let them fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bowtech View Post
    I am heading to Hattiesburg with my field setup. 55lb conny acc49 125 up front. Taking out the 6x putting in a 4x and bigger hole in the super peep.
    going to let them fly.
    Good Luck and Have Fun..........

"HONDA"

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    I really like the Fat Shafts.....Victory X-Ringers for me.
    I think the X-ringers are too fat for the marked yardage class. ASA had a maximum arrow diameter (it said nothing bigger than a fat boy) for that class when they released that info at the Classic last year, but I am looking through the rules I can't find it anywhere, so they might have taken it out. Might want to double check that before you tell your buddy to shoot a fat shaft. A lot of what they told us last year at the Classic never actually made it when 2009 actually rolled around soooo....
    Alpine Archery - factory staff shooter ** Coyote Bluff Archery - staff shooter ** Victory Arrows - advisory staff ** Bohning - staff shooter
    Equipment: Alpine Sienna (yep it's PINK!), Victory X-RingerHV 350, Bohning Blazer X2's, Trophy Taker, Scott's Little Bitty Goose

No, they took out any arrow size restrictions so x-ringers will work. You are right thats what they had originally planned but didn't quiet make it to print.
    Goldtip Arrows,T.R.U. Ball Releases
    ,Bohning vanes

O for got to tell ya a whoopin 242fps

Default Sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bowtech View Post
    O for got to tell ya a whoopin 242fps
    Many a field shooter have dotted at those speeds. I really hopw more field shooters come shoot the known yardage. ASA does one heck of a good job putting on these events.
    DB

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Many a field shooter have dotted at those speeds. I really hopw more field shooters come shoot the known yardage. ASA does one heck of a good job putting on these events.
    DB

Gotta feeling those guys would clean up in K45-50

Quote Originally Posted by FOBsKILL View Post
    Gotta feeling those guys would clean up in K45-50
    Only if they can see something to aim at..
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

No, they took out any arrow size restrictions so x-ringers will work. You are right thats what they had originally planned but didn't quiet make it to print.
    oh no, now she will want even fatter arrows!
    New Breed Archery
    Gold Tip - Spot-Hogg

Quote Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
    Only if they can see something to aim at..
    Yes, besides that those 12's and 14's are a WHOLE lot smaller than anything but the closest field targets.

There is another reason besides "line cutting" that the big dogs hunt with super fat shafts. The fatties hog up a whole lot more of those little rings and really get some nice bounce-outs. Especially with pin nocks. It becomes a game of strategy and planning.

The reason to use the knitting needle arrows is that they are less effected by wind.

If you don't have to worry about wind, then the fat arrows will give you a little line cutting advantage.