You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Question Target shooting Laws in NJ

    I was wondering if anyone new the target shooting laws in NJ when in your own yard.

  2. #2
    Senior Member MoBowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lee's Summit, Mo.
    Posts
    595

    Default

    You'll have to check the ordinances with your local Township or City. Each is different. Most have ordinances about discharging weapons in the City Limits. Which would also include archery equipment. But check your local ordinances
    www.Missouriwhitetails.com
    Trophy Rock Pro Staff
    Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, Pass It On

  3. #3
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunters_Daughter View Post
    I was wondering if anyone new the target shooting laws in NJ when in your own yard.
    I'm not positive about the whole state of NJ but in most of the states this is determined by local gov't. city / township... in some areas its considered a firearm and is not allowed, in others it is. I would ask your local goverment offical or any police officer

  4. #4

    Default New Jersey Laws ?

    Were I live, as long as there are no complants,and/ or you don't do something stupid ....like shoot the neighbors cat it's OK. I have been at my 40 yd. spot (about 6ft. from the street ) and the law just drives by, even slowed down to see how I was doing Never been hastled. Never said a word.

  5. #5
    I pray for you! BUNNYMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    the Hutch
    Posts
    29,901

    Default

    Welcome to this wonderful forum.....there is a guy on here Dbowers that lives in jersey he may be able to help out, seems like a nice guy, but just like everbody else said the law is you final answer if you ever want to be a millionare
    I cut things up and split them down!

  6. #6

    Default

    Thanks for helping. The only reason I asked was because a few days ago my dad and little brother were in our yard practicing and since we live on a corner when a cop drove by he stopped and told my dad it was illegal. The thing I didn't understand was my family has lived in this house for nearly 8 years and there was never a problem before. A few of the guys in town who are cops have actually come over and hung out and shot with my dad and never said a thing. I was confused because as JerseyArcher said its okay as long as there are no complaints, now suddenly there is a problem and we know none of the neighbors complained because they have all lived here since we moved in. Well again thanks for helping.

  7. #7
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunters_Daughter View Post
    Thanks for helping. The only reason I asked was because a few days ago my dad and little brother were in our yard practicing and since we live on a corner when a cop drove by he stopped and told my dad it was illegal. The thing I didn't understand was my family has lived in this house for nearly 8 years and there was never a problem before. A few of the guys in town who are cops have actually come over and hung out and shot with my dad and never said a thing. I was confused because as JerseyArcher said its okay as long as there are no complaints, now suddenly there is a problem and we know none of the neighbors complained because they have all lived here since we moved in. Well again thanks for helping.
    There is a HUGE differnece between none of the cops saying anything and it being legal. Especially if those cops are archers as well... they may just have not wanted to enforce the law on this one. Better safe then sorry, if he said it is illegal it is, in most states a bow is considered a firearm, and discharging firearms in most residental / city areas is illegal.

    If your on a corner lot I can definately see why they may not want you shooting... what happens if you miss? Even at 20 yards an arrow can easily slip off the rest, a shaft can be bent or cracked, a fletching can come off... any number of thing that would put the arrow either in the street or in a neighbors house.

  8. #8
    bambi killer killbambidead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Red bud il
    Posts
    733

    Default

    if uve got some crabby old people by where u live they will complain and ull have to stop it happened to me

  9. #9

    Default

    I used to live in a township that didn't have any restrictions about shooting archery.

    So here I am shooting in the back yard, we had 3/4 acre lot. Next thing I know a police car pulls in the drive. Out steps this giant police officer. 350# and about 6'7. He waddles back and checks out my shooting.

    He says, the neighbors called so he had to stop by. He said it looks like your hitting the bullseye. I had about 8 arrows pounded in a group from 20 yards.

    He says there is no ordinance and said I just wanted to let you know the neighbors called. Good shooting and have a nice day.

    I ended up moving the target to the other side of the house and put the target right up against the house. If I missed, I would shoot the house. Never did though.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Youngsville, North Carolina
    Posts
    32

    Default

    I used to live in downtown Raleigh, NC. To maintain good form and prepare for an early morning hunt, I would shoot down the hall in my apartment. It was only about 28 feet, but helped me warm up. Just had to tell the wife "holler before you come out of that bedroom."
    Before I get some stupid reply to that, RELAX, she was perfectly safe.

    Anyway, it"s the same in North Carolina---check your local laws.
    Home-a-lite
    "Doing the best I can....AT ALL TIMES!"

    Hunting:
    02 Mighty Mite 27'' 72lbs
    Beman Matrix 468gr. 255fps

    Target:
    04 Protec 27.5'' 70lbs
    GT Pro22 349gr. 260fps

  11. #11
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Home-a-lite View Post
    I used to live in downtown Raleigh, NC. To maintain good form and prepare for an early morning hunt, I would shoot down the hall in my apartment. It was only about 28 feet, but helped me warm up. Just had to tell the wife "holler before you come out of that bedroom."
    Before I get some stupid reply to that, RELAX, she was perfectly safe.

    Anyway, it"s the same in North Carolina---check your local laws.
    Yup I used to do the same thing. But I know that if I would have taken my target outside the cops would have stopped me pretty quickly.

    also... watch slipping and putting the arrow through the wall... (oops! )

Similar Threads

  1. What type of feathers for target shooting?
    By swintj1 in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-27-2008, 04:04 PM
  2. Typical poundage for target shooting?
    By swintj1 in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-02-2007, 12:23 PM
  3. Favorite Arrow for Target shooting?
    By swintj1 in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-21-2007, 09:34 PM
  4. Any one tried target shooting at night?
    By QSA in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 08-21-2007, 11:56 AM
  5. stabilizer system for target shooting
    By fkanderson in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-10-2006, 07:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •