You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default tips on fletching

hey guys, any tips on fletching your own arrows?
    Diamond Victory 29"/55#
    Gold Tip XT Hunters
    Trophy Taker Pronghorn
    Copper John Dead Nuts
    Muzzy MX4 100 gr.

People Eating Tasty Animals

Remember, a Diamond lasts forever!

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by diamond-vic. View Post
    hey guys, any tips on fletching your own arrows?
    Get a good jig!!!!

At first use Fletchtite Platinum glue for plastic vanes. It is fast, but not so fast that it will get away from you. If you use any of the cyanoacrylics, they can sometimes set up too fast for a beginner.

Use AAE Fastfletch Gel glue for feathers. They take a lot longer (15 to 20 minutes) to cure if you use the Platinum. With the fastfletch you can move on to the next fletch in 10 to 15 seconds.

Learn to use the right amount of glue. When using slower glues like Platinum, you can use a piece of paper as a blotter to remove excess glue.

Check the manufacture's website for the right solvent to use for cleaning your shafts. Some say alcohol others let you use acetone. I've never had any problems with acetone, but some don't recommmend it. Get the purest alcohol (91%) or acetone (100%) that you can. Don't use a fingernail polish remover. It is acetone, but it has other stuff in it that will hurt the bond.

Some of the plastic vanes already have an activator applied to them. Don't clean these before gluing. Others don't have the activator and need to be cleaned immediately before gluing to the shaft. Check the package or the manufacturer's website.

Right after you have applied the fletch to the shaft, run a stick or the back of a knife blade down the quill to push it more completely onto the shaft. This will insure a more complete bond. A little light pressure will avoid problems caused by the clamp not being perfectly seated to the shaft. If your fletching is coming loose in the middle, this will usually correct it. Complete contact along the full length of the fletch is needed for a durable job.

The Norway Zip Strip is the fastest tool for removing old fletching. It is also the fastest tool for damaging your arrows if you are not careful. I use one to get most of the old fletch off and then use a Scotch-Brite pad dipped in acetone or alcohol to clean off the rest.

Consider arrow wraps. They add weight, but they are easy to remove without damaging your arrow. The look pretty good too.

I hope this helps,
    Allen

Clean your shafts before attempting to the glue the vanes. We use denatured alcohol to clean them and it works very well.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Dont forget the most important.....use a good quality fletching jig, there are many imitations but there is still nothing that comes close to a Bitzenburger dial-a-fletch.....and that is the bottem line, cus i said so......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    Dont forget the most important.....use a good quality fletching jig, there are many imitations but there is still nothing that comes close to a Bitzenburger dial-a-fletch.....and that is the bottem line, cus i said so......
    And I agree with him!