You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

that right there is the way out of this mess. brothers reaching out to brothers. even if all you can give is words of encouragement. dont matter what your job is , or mine , we're all in it . and god rules it .

Quote Originally Posted by hunter2678 View Post
    Delphi poorman?...My best bud works for tuttle contstruction there in beantown.....Im from Elida, lots of friends that live back there, I'd say about 50 % have been laid off in the past 6 months.
    I was born and graduated from Spencerville, about 20 minutes from Elida. My father worked at Ford b/f he passed and my uncle is still there. He said that all of the skill trades have gone back to the line and basically all of the line workers are out. I don't know what is going on, but my mother told me the other day the Lima News Sunday Edition only had like 4 jobs listed and two of those were for internet jobs that get put into every paper.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    Jesus Christ & The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Some People spend their whole lives wondering if they made a difference in the world.
    Luckily our Service Men and Women don't have that problem.

I do my own IT consulting work on my own terms and I have had some problems for the past 2 years keeping a steady income from that. It's feast or famine, mostly the latter.

I left a grocery retail store job for pocket money on Sunday afternoon for reasons I will not disclose and started working at a local bar/pool hall this morning for pocket money. I open the bar/kitchen, clean, stock, drink diet soda free vacuum, take care of pool tables, dump garbage, etc.... You get the picture. Get in there at 5:30 AM and bust butt until about 10:30-11:00. It works fine for now and I have the rest of my day to look for a job that's better fitting for the value I can add. The thing is that I went out and got that on my own. Nobody handed it to me. You have to be willing to do what you have to do.

We have jobs available in this area, a ton of them actually. They just don't pay $80k a year, not even close. And you have to actually WORK to make your money, not sit on your butt and collect big bucks for doing nothing. (Not to say you guys do that, I'm just venting at the local idiots I see around here).

The local problem here is that the sate of ILLINOIS makes it EASY for people to NOT work. Food stamps (Link cards) are all over this area, bigtime. Some people cheked out of the store with over $800 balances on their food stamp cards. I know because I worked a register from time to time and the balance comes out of the POS system on a paper receipt for the customer.

That's INSANE.....

Perfectly healthy people buying junk food, pop and other garbage on the taxpayers dime. Not milk, cheese, juice, meats, etc.... Garbage food.... Chips, dip, crackers, pop, Red Bull, Rockstar, etc... Geez...

Anybody that wants to get a job for around $8-$10 an hour can work here, assuming you pass a drug screen and security background check, starting Monday... All you have to do is show up and say you can do the job. You'll be hired on the spot. Training is free (and takes 10 minutes)....

But if you walk through the local mall at 2:00 PM, you see a TON of adults that should be working roaming around with their thumb up their butts, buying new cell phones, gym shoes, goofy jeans, etc... Living off of food stamps and other government checks that us working people don't even know exist...

Makes me sick....

And most of us out here are trying to really make a modest living and try to enjoy life...

Off my soap-box....

I sincerely hope everyone has success in finding a job that is out of work. Sometimes you need to do what you need to do though, even if it means doing something fundamentally different for a period of time... All we can do is try and band together and look for a positive. I've done that and I think I'm a better person for it.

Oh, and one more thing, sitting around waiting for that magic phone call for a job is a waste of time. You need to collect your unemployment, figure out what you can make on top of that without affecting your unemployment payment and go out and get a part time job to get out of the house. Being in the house sulking is a big mistake.... It also does nothing to help your situation. Having a job for minimum wage for a few days a week gets you out of the house and keeps you mind thinking and keeps you interacting with people. You don't NEED to put that part time job on your resume, but I think you should because it shows that nobody was going to keep you down long.... And you are a go-getter.

Those are the people I always liked to hire when I was a hiring manager.

Ron
    Last edited by Ronhop; 03-13-2009 at 03:40 PM.
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

Off the shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    I do my own IT consulting work on my own terms and I have had some problems for the past 2 years keeping a steady income from that. It's feast or famine, mostly the latter.

I left a grocery retail store job for pocket money on Sunday afternoon for reasons I will not disclose and started working at a local bar/pool hall this morning for pocket money. I open the bar/kitchen, clean, stock, drink diet soda free vacuum, take care of pool tables, dump garbage, etc.... You get the picture. Get in there at 5:30 AM and bust butt until about 10:30-11:00. It works fine for now and I have the rest of my day to look for a job that's better fitting for the value I can add. The thing is that I went out and got that on my own. Nobody handed it to me. You have to be willing to do what you have to do.

We have jobs available in this area, a ton of them actually. They just don't pay $80k a year, not even close. And you have to actually WORK to make your money, not sit on your butt and collect big bucks for doing nothing. (Not to say you guys do that, I'm just venting at the local idiots I see around here).

The local problem here is that the sate of ILLINOIS makes it EASY for people to NOT work. Food stamps (Link cards) are all over this area, bigtime. Some people cheked out of the store with over $800 balances on their food stamp cards. I know because I worked a register from time to time and the balance comes out of the POS system on a paper receipt for the customer.

That's INSANE.....

Perfectly healthy people buying junk food, pop and other garbage on the taxpayers dime. Not milk, cheese, juice, meats, etc.... Garbage food.... Chips, dip, crackers, pop, Red Bull, Rockstar, etc... Geez...

Anybody that wants to get a job for around $8-$10 an hour can work here, assuming you pass a drug screen and security background check, starting Monday... All you have to do is show up and say you can do the job. You'll be hired on the spot. Training is free (and takes 10 minutes)....

But if you walk through the local mall at 2:00 PM, you see a TON of adults that should be working roaming around with their thumb up their butts, buying new cell phones, gym shoes, goofy jeans, etc... Living off of food stamps and other government checks that us working people don't even know exist...

Makes me sick....

And most of us out here are trying to really make a modest living and try to enjoy life...

Off my soap-box....

I sincerely hope everyone has success in finding a job that is out of work. Sometimes you need to do what you need to do though, even if it means doing something fundamentally different for a period of time... All we can do is try and band together and look for a positive. I've done that and I think I'm a better person for it.

Oh, and one more thing, sitting around waiting for that magic phone call for a job is a waste of time. You need to collect your unemployment, figure out what you can make on top of that without affecting your unemployment payment and go out and get a part time job to get out of the house. Being in the house sulking is a big mistake.... It also does nothing to help your situation. Having a job for minimum wage for a few days a week gets you out of the house and keeps you mind thinking and keeps you interacting with people. You don't NEED to put that part time job on your resume, but I think you should because it shows that nobody was going to keep you down long.... And you are a go-getter.

Those are the people I always liked to hire when I was a hiring manager.

Ron
    Great post!

I told my small group last night that if any of us wind up a greeter at Wal-Mart we need to praise God for it, and do it to our best.

I am praying for all you guys out of work, or even those that are fretting over the job they have.

There are seasons in this journey, they all have a purpose. From your post yours has built the character of a man.

Thanks for the kind words.

This situation has been going on for a while for me so if I can help somebody out I'm more than happy. It has not been fun, but it coulld be a LOT worse. I just refuse to let it get worse. I've met new people and have a couple of new freinds (networking...), I've been physically active (lost about 10 poiunds since November...) and have had time to do things around the house and look for a better opportunity. Those simple job(s) have kept me going plus I have a few extra bucks in my pocket to use for the range and a beer here and there...

The BEST thing to do is get out there and do something. If it's a greeter at Walmart, so what ? You get so say hello to people and shuffle a few shopping carts around now and then. Man, that's a real luxury when you are mentally smacked down (no ill feelings Mr. Morgan ) and feeling like you got screwed. It keeps your mind off of the bad things and keeps you thinking. I think that's incredibly important.

Everyone needs to think and act positive. We'll all be a lot better for it I believe.

With respect to God I believe in what I beleive in however we have to realize that we need to do things for ourself too. We get out of bed, take showers, get clothes on, go to work, take care of family, etc... When times get tough, praying helps but at the end of the day we need to to OUR part to make things happen. It just don't get delivered to us gift wrapped.

Ron
    Last edited by Ronhop; 03-13-2009 at 04:26 PM.

Ron I understand your post completly. I have been looking alot and have been asking around about jobs( that seems the best way to get hired , around here atleast, it not what you know its who you know) and I think i have a few leads( Pray it works out for me guys Please) But I have never been out of work. this long ( since Dec 12th). I know alot of places have laid guys off and told them we'll call you back in a month or 2, thats tough for alot of us.

Now as far as goverment help in Indiana, I have gotten no help from anyone, But I am ok. Dont really want or need it. I have seen more than my fair share of people abusing the system(I worked in grocery when I was younger) and know just what you are saying. My wife worked at the health food store years ago and she seen MANY people come in and pay for a System cleanse(for drugs) with 3 kids on thier hip and pennys in thier hands

It just stinks for alot of us. we had a good job we liked worked hard, dident miss work, advanced in our positions or in our own way, started making a comfortable living. and now due to NOTHING we have done lost our jobs to the recession.(mabey I speak for myself) But that is how I feel. I loved my job and now I dont have it due to NO fault of MY own.
    Mathews Ovation 60 lbs 29 Dl- Ranger custom Strings
    HHA 5500 ol - Trophy Taker shakey hunter-
    Tru Ball pro diamond- Gold Tip X-cutters= awsome shootin'
    (new)FBSA Member

Unhappy That's my next job !

Quote Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
    Great post!

I told my small group last night that if any of us wind up a greeter at Wal-Mart we need to praise God for it, and do it to our best.

I am praying for all you guys out of work, or even those that are fretting over the job they have.

There are seasons in this journey, they all have a purpose. From your post yours has built the character of a man.

When I semi- retire,my next job will be that greeter at Wally-World !

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews Man View Post
    Ron I understand your post completly. I have been looking alot and have been asking around about jobs( that seems the best way to get hired , around here atleast, it not what you know its who you know) and I think i have a few leads( Pray it works out for me guys Please) But I have never been out of work. this long ( since Dec 12th). I know alot of places have laid guys off and told them we'll call you back in a month or 2, thats tough for alot of us.

Now as far as goverment help in Indiana, I have gotten no help from anyone, But I am ok. Dont really want or need it. I have seen more than my fair share of people abusing the system(I worked in grocery when I was younger) and know just what you are saying. My wife worked at the health food store years ago and she seen MANY people come in and pay for a System cleanse(for drugs) with 3 kids on thier hip and pennys in thier hands

It just stinks for alot of us. we had a good job we liked worked hard, dident miss work, advanced in our positions or in our own way, started making a comfortable living. and now due to NOTHING we have done lost our jobs to the recession.(mabey I speak for myself) But that is how I feel. I loved my job and now I dont have it due to NO fault of MY own.
    Boy, I understand you post too....
    It's just tough out there and we need to be tougher I guess.

When I filed for unemployment for the first time ever about 4 years ago when I got laid off I was almost in tears (and I'm a 48 year old guy).

Never did I think that would happen.

But in the time since then I have learned that becoming a coupon cutter and cherry picking grocery ads have made me challenge myself to figuring out how to save money.

And with the little bar thing I have, which I leave for in about 5 minutes, helps me mentally and physically. A few bucks to boot.

I just think that being positive and getting out there is the best medicine.

Take a break, do something where you're around other people and collect a few bucks. I think things will turn around for most of us and we'll be good.

Well, off to the bar business....

Ron

Well still working, Do not care if I have a job or not where I work. They keep telling me I am lucky to have a job. I tell then they are lucky I still work for them. They want fire someone who knows where all the bodys are hidden. lol.
    billing 50 to 60 hours a week.
    For a good note. Word on the street is companys will be turning work loose in april for use to repair. O ya I work on semi trailers. It is a very ruff way to put food on the table. O an dangous also lol
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

Quote Originally Posted by QSA View Post
    Well still working, Do not care if I have a job or not where I work. They keep telling me I am lucky to have a job. I tell then they are lucky I still work for them. They want fire someone who knows where all the bodys are hidden. lol.
    billing 50 to 60 hours a week.
    For a good note. Word on the street is companys will be turning work loose in april for use to repair. O ya I work on semi trailers. It is a very ruff way to put food on the table. O an dangous also lol
    Glad to hear from you Dan. Hope things start looking up for everyone that is out of work at this time. Seems there are jobs out there just not high paying jobs and some people just don't want those jobs.

"HONDA"

This post is really helpful, both for those people who were out of work, and for those who have but didn't think how lucky they are that they have it. I have a work, but didn't really like what I have been doing, I came across this thread and it sort of changed my point of view. Thanks!

I took a 15% pay cut 2 weeks ago. Last week a classification reduction and another cut of 6%. Even if there were jobs out there I don't think I would want to be low man on the totum pole right now. I got 10.5 years seniority at my job now.
    Bowtech Sniper 55lb 29" draw
    Easton ST Excell 400 with blazers, 100 grain field point
    True ball fire ball release, Octane 7" stabilizer, hostage capture rest, Spot Hogg Hunter sight

Feel your pain- But I dont have a choise. I do have something in the works now, please pray for me that it works out.
    (new)FBSA Member

Wabbit Huntin

You know, this is the first time I have not had a job since I was in my early 20's, and that was by choice. I am surviving ok, and can deal with the down time, but what bugs me is the lack of insurance. My 17 year old son got pretty sick and I had to take him to the ER. Everything came out fine, but I have no way to pay for it. So I was getting by, just getting by, now I will go under. Really sucks because I have ALWAYS done what I needed to. It is just damned frustrating.

Hang in there buddy- The Lord wont put any of us thru more than we can handle.
    (new)FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews Man View Post
    Hang in there buddy- The Lord wont put any of us thru more than we can handle.
    Words to live by. Thanks buddy

I am praying for all of you that are out of work or just squeaking by.

"HONDA"

Started a job today in manafatured Houseing- worked there before 5 yrs ago- So hey with the times as they are you cant turn down a job- so I'll hang till I get something else- Beats being unemployed as I have been for the past 3 months
    (new)FBSA Member

Thumbs up Works picking up !

Looks like people need to eat (thank God),things look alright for us slaves,they better hope our chains don't break !

Xtreme Archer

Cool not bad

Things in Missouri aren,t to bad but who knows whats around the corner , as long as I have my mathews , i,ll always have food on the table if it comes down to it.............

Patriot till Death... monkybrainz's Avatar

nothin here still..................................
    PSE
    And there came a voice to him," Rise Peter, Kill and eat" acts 1o: 13
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sound