You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fat 3D arrows

Default Fat 3D arrows

I was wondering if I could get any recommendations on some larger diameter shafts for 3D.I was looking at some Fatboys,Linejammers or some gold tip X-cutters.You"re thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated,thanks.

If you are thinking about using fatboys, buy the Beman 9.3 and save yourself some money.
    SAVE A BUCK--SHOOT AN OUTFITTER

Jerry Whittington

the gold tip 30 x lites (new this year...8.5 gpi) might be another arrow to consider... I've heard of folks shooting them with a little as 70 grains up front with great success....

Default Goldtips Xcutters

I have shot them for many years.

There good arrows and very popular.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

I shoot fatboys, but i wish i wouldve looked a little harder at Bemans before I bought this last dozen
    Mathews LX, Tiny's Bowstrings, Viper Sights, Biscuit, FMJ's, G5 Montec

look at gold tip 22 series also...if you dont wanna go super fat..
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com

I love the Victory X-Ringers! Been flying great for me!
    Alpine Archery - factory staff shooter ** Coyote Bluff Archery - staff shooter ** Victory Arrows - advisory staff ** Bohning - staff shooter
    Equipment: Alpine Sienna (yep it's PINK!), Victory X-RingerHV 350, Bohning Blazer X2's, Trophy Taker, Scott's Little Bitty Goose

X-cutter guy my self- but am looking at the 22s. X-cutters have been very good to me the past 4 yrs. My son shoots the 22s and they have also been a good arrow.
    Mathews Ovation 60 lbs 29 Dl- Ranger custom Strings
    HHA 5500 ol - Trophy Taker shakey hunter-
    Tru Ball pro diamond- Gold Tip X-cutters= awsome shootin'
    (new)FBSA Member

Default 3D arrows

I have used Carbon Express CXL's. They worked fine, but were costly. Damage from other shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by poorshot View Post
    I have used Carbon Express CXL's. They worked fine, but were costly. Damage from other shooters.
    I found the CXL2s pull harder out of the 3D targets than my fat boys.
    07 Bowtech Commander
    sword acu-site 3rd plane gold tips
    08 FireStorm Gray 101st Airborn
    Sword Titan,Limb Driver
    09 Bowtech Admiral

Default Easton Fatboys

I just picked up some Easton Fatboys to try, first large diameter arrow I have shot so I'll let ya know.
    Rhino
    Michigan
    2007 X-Force 6
    28"/53 lbs
    X-Weave Pro 100's

I've been shooting the Victory X-Ringer HVs for the last year or so and have been very happy with them.

I use Fatboys but the Goldtips and CX fat shafts are popular as well. It's a mix of those around here. Nobody I know uses Victory but that don't mean anything since nobody around here sells them.

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

Quote Originally Posted by quick draw View Post
    I found the CXL2s pull harder out of the 3D targets than my fat boys.
    I had the same experience, but started using Scorpion Venom arrow lube and after 3 or 4 applications, they're easy to pull.

Woody's and Carbon Express brand lube also work as well. The wheel wet stuff that you get at auto parts stores didn't work nealy as well with the CXL2's.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I had the same experience, but started using Scorpion Venom arrow lube and after 3 or 4 applications, they're easy to pull.

Woody's and Carbon Express brand lube also work as well. The wheel wet stuff that you get at auto parts stores didn't work nealy as well with the CXL2's.
    Not to hijack the thread- but if you get a box of Gulf Wax about $2.75 and break a piece of parifine in half and rub the first 3 inches or so it pull will like a dream.
    Mathews Ovation 60 lbs 29 Dl- Ranger custom Strings
    HHA 5500 ol - Trophy Taker shakey hunter-
    Tru Ball pro diamond- Gold Tip X-cutters= awsome shootin'
    (new)FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews Man View Post
    Not to hijack the thread- but if you get a box of Gulf Wax about $2.75 and break a piece of parifine in half and rub the first 3 inches or so it pull will like a dream.
    A lot of people around here do that.
    Seems like a great idea.

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

I've had the best luck with Carbon Express's CXL's. I've found them to be the most consistent 3-d arrows out there considering weight, straightness and spine consistency. Their adjustable weight target tips provide the easiest way to fine-tune your setup.

I do a lot of shooting with good shooters that are always slamming my arrows and have not had many more break than I did with the others I shot. Now if you are on the practice bags at an ASA shoot and get some bone-head shooting the 40 yard bag from the 30 yard spot (crosswise into your straight-in arrows ) and sure, they are going to get crushed.

With the bulldog collars I have had 3 robinhoods in 4 years. Lots of crushed nocks and dented collars, but the arrow was fine. Now that they offer the pin-nocs that will probably be even better.

I've never heard of them being tougher to pull than any other arrow. As I hate to be the scorekeeper I often am the puller and have never noticed any difference and would have to question that comment.

I've used carbon express lube and scorpion lube and they work fine. I have seen too many guys drop their glass bottle of Woody's and break it on the floor for me to buy anything in a glass bottle.

The wax works fine as does the little bar of soap they give you at the hotel. I've heard a lot of guys say they don't use any arrow lube at the big shoots because they don't pull as many lines . The new Mackensie targets are a lot better and I hardly ever use lube when shooting them.

Another vote for the Victory X-Ringers.

"HONDA"

Default X Ringers

The X ringers are really good shafts. However, there are a couple issues that may come up. I have a customer shooting a Darton Pro 3500. 29" @ 62#, shooting roughly 335 fps. We had to cut 1/4" inch off his insert (he shoots advanced hunter) and dig up some of the fattest 75 gr. tips available to get his weight down. Since we've hit his "ideal" arrow weight, (314 gr.) we have been having serious tuning issues. Called victory up, talked with one of the techs (Justin) and he told us we were generating such heavy kinetic energy, that the shafts would not hold up, especially in 3D targets. He is now sending us some VX-22's. So if you are having problems getting the X-Ringers to where you want them, give the 22s a try. The new McKenzie insert material is more susceptible to pulling lines.