You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fat 3D arrows

Adam of Archery Outfitter fstgstdsmpay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    Another vote for the Victory X-Ringers.
    +4

Been Shooting X-Ringers for 3 years now. I couldnt be happier. THey fly great, can get my arrow weight way down them from 350 grains at 70lbs to my current set up is 285 at 57lbs and thats with a 30" draw. Extremely fast and always seem to find the X for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntelk View Post
    I've had the best luck with Carbon Express's CXL's. I've found them to be the most consistent 3-d arrows out there considering weight, straightness and spine consistency. Their adjustable weight target tips provide the easiest way to fine-tune your setup.

I do a lot of shooting with good shooters that are always slamming my arrows and have not had many more break than I did with the others I shot. Now if you are on the practice bags at an ASA shoot and get some bone-head shooting the 40 yard bag from the 30 yard spot (crosswise into your straight-in arrows ) and sure, they are going to get crushed.

With the bulldog collars I have had 3 robinhoods in 4 years. Lots of crushed nocks and dented collars, but the arrow was fine. Now that they offer the pin-nocs that will probably be even better.

I've never heard of them being tougher to pull than any other arrow. As I hate to be the scorekeeper I often am the puller and have never noticed any difference and would have to question that comment.
    Have you noticed the little pieces of target that sticks to the CXL?
    07 Bowtech Commander
    sword acu-site 3rd plane gold tips
    08 FireStorm Gray 101st Airborn
    Sword Titan,Limb Driver
    09 Bowtech Admiral

Default CX arrows

Quote Originally Posted by quick draw View Post
    I found the CXL2s pull harder out of the 3D targets than my fat boys.
    I agree with you. I have noticed that Carbon Express arrows have a break-in period. It seems to take some shooting. Also treating with lube multiple times before they get slick. I think the finish needs to wear some.

Why fat arrows folks for 3-d? I have to know....
    Redhead Kronik 60-70# 26" Draw
    Octane Hostage Pro Rest
    Tru-Glo Tru-Site X-Treme
    Limbsaver 4.55 S-Coil Stabilizer
    T.R.U. Ball Chappy Boss

Fat arrows for 3D

I use Gold Tip Triple Xs 100 grains up frt, with the 1.5 HP Vane Tec vanes out of my A7

And Gold Tip Pro 22s 80 grains up frt. & w/1.5 HP Vane Tec vanes out of my Conquest 4

The triples are awesome thatís all I can say, and the Pro 22s are just tough to beat

Good luck this year
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    Why fat arrows folks for 3-d? I have to know....
    Give you a little extra lead way to hit the 11 ring
    07 Bowtech Commander
    sword acu-site 3rd plane gold tips
    08 FireStorm Gray 101st Airborn
    Sword Titan,Limb Driver
    09 Bowtech Admiral

quick draw

I've robinhooded countless cx linejammers due to the large nocks. Great arrows, just hard to keep a matched dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by JDX-- View Post
    Fat arrows for 3D

I use Gold Tip Triple Xs 100 grains up frt, with the 1.5 HP Vane Tec vanes out of my A7

And Gold Tip Pro 22s 80 grains up frt. & w/1.5 HP Vane Tec vanes out of my Conquest 4

The triples are awesome thatís all I can say, and the Pro 22s are just tough to beat

Good luck this year
    JDX --

I have also found the Gold Tip Triple X arrows with 100 grain tip to fly great...I shoot them out of the Conquest 4
    On Target Archery Shooting Staff - Control Freak Stabilizers Pro Staff - Vortex Optics Pro Staff
    LP Archery Shooting Staff - Sure-Loc Shooting Staff - Mathews Co-Op Shooting Staff

I will bet you that your 12 or 11 ring count will not go up by going to a super fat arrow. I shoot Gold tip 22's and my 12 ring count is the same as last year and last year I was using the Maxima 350's and I am better with my distance judging this year. I really dont think going with a super huge arrow for 3d will help you gain any extra points. I beleive the smaller diameter arrows are more forgiving and especially more forgiving in the wind. I dont think I will ever shoot an arrow any bigger than a 22 or 23 size diameter arrow. As soon as this 3D season is over I plan to test my theory in depth.
    Jame Jamison

Carbon Express CXL's
    Mike Wieck Sales Shooting Staff
    TRU Ball Shooting Staff , LL Cote Shooting Staff
    Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
    Level 2 Instructor,Bowhunter Ed Instructor
    Vt,NH, & CT ASA State Rep

Default Test will be next year

Quote Originally Posted by jame View Post
    I will bet you that your 12 or 11 ring count will not go up by going to a super fat arrow. I shoot Gold tip 22's and my 12 ring count is the same as last year and last year I was using the Maxima 350's and I am better with my distance judging this year. I really dont think going with a super huge arrow for 3d will help you gain any extra points. I beleive the smaller diameter arrows are more forgiving and especially more forgiving in the wind. I dont think I will ever shoot an arrow any bigger than a 22 or 23 size diameter arrow. As soon as this 3D season is over I plan to test my theory in depth.
    Jame Jamison
    Levi shoots Triple X's and most everyone indoor shoots fat shafts.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Levi shoots Triple X's and most everyone indoor shoots fat shafts.
    DB
    Like I said I have alot better luck with smaller daimeter arrows. I will guarantee you that most of those boys dont shoot those fat shafts in IBO. I still dont beleive you will gain 12's in 3D or unless you have perfect shots every time or the conditons are perfect. No wind and most of the proams had great terrain to help block the wind. IBO has alot more open lanes with a bigger chance in carrying your arrow off of its mark.

I never said anything about indoors. You have perfect conditions as long as the lighting is good and you have great form. Shooting a big shaft indoors is the way to go. ITs only 20 yds and no wind to blow you from side to side.

I still beleive that the smaller diameter arrow is more fogiving than a huge fat shaft for outdoors. Like I said I plan to play with it alot more in depth this fall to see if I am just crazy or right.

Default Arrows

Like I said I have alot better luck with smaller daimeter arrows. I will guarantee you that most of those boys dont shoot those fat shafts in IBO. I still dont beleive you will gain 12's in 3D or unless you have perfect shots every time or the conditons are perfect. No wind and most of the proams had great terrain to help block the wind. IBO has alot more open lanes with a bigger chance in carrying your arrow off of its mark.

I never said anything about indoors. You have perfect conditions as long as the lighting is good and you have great form. Shooting a big shaft indoors is the way to go. ITs only 20 yds and no wind to blow you from side to side.

I still beleive that the smaller diameter arrow is more fogiving than a huge fat shaft for outdoors. Like I said I plan to play with it alot more in depth this fall to see if I am just crazy or right.
    Its always interesting to watch the top shooter like you and Nathan and Darrin and Levi go through this over the years. Always the search for the perfect arrow. I do believe in ASA (280fps second rule) and 50yards one can tune the fat shaft to perfection, Levi pretty living proof. Tim Gillingham is another but we all must understand draw length has alot to do with the flight of arrow and spine. Saw Leftwhich switched back to fat shafts from ACE arrows. Notice Dan is shooting fat shafts again. I have witnessed this for many years. Nathan tried ACC for a few shoots. He keep track of the lost points. Bottomline its the arrow you have the most confidence in.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Thumbs up 3-D Arrow

I shoot the Victory X-Ringer HV 250s for the last 3 years and have not had any problems with them. They fly great! 29" draw 120gns up front Norway 1.8"3d Duravanes Pulling 64lbs total arrow weight 326grns @305fps. I feel they are really durable considering the diameter of the arrow. Lots of good arrows mentioned above but, some are better than others. you'll just have to find the one that best fits the equipment that you are shooting.
    Good Luck !!!
    Last edited by beergut; 07-02-2009 at 11:11 AM. Reason: mispelling
    TCARCHERY CUSTOMS STRINGS SHOOTING STAFF
    VICTORY ARROWS SHOOTING STAFF-IOWA
    MATHEWS DRENALIN-LD CAMO
    MATHEWS DRENALIN LD BLUEBERRY
    POORMANS SLINGS

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Its always interesting to watch the top shooter like you and Nathan and Darrin and Levi go through this over the years. Always the search for the perfect arrow. I do believe in ASA (280fps second rule) and 50yards one can tune the fat shaft to perfection, Levi pretty living proof. Tim Gillingham is another but we all must understand draw length has alot to do with the flight of arrow and spine. Saw Leftwhich switched back to fat shafts from ACE arrows. Notice Dan is shooting fat shafts again. I have witnessed this for many years. Nathan tried ACC for a few shoots. He keep track of the lost points. Bottomline its the arrow you have the most confidence in.
    DB
    I agree with tuning the arrow to perfection. I also agree that I wouldnt shoot an ace for ASA but I havent ever had consistency out of big arrows. Now alot of it maybe cause of my short draw length. In the 5 1/2 years I was out of archery the arrows seem to be much better and I plan on trying some big shafts out again. I really want to see if they will shoot any better than they used to for me.
    I agree with you DB. You have to have confidence in what you shoot.

Default Funny

I agree with tuning the arrow to perfection. I also agree that I wouldnt shoot an ace for ASA but I havent ever had consistency out of big arrows. Now alot of it maybe cause of my short draw length. In the 5 1/2 years I was out of archery the arrows seem to be much better and I plan on trying some big shafts out again. I really want to see if they will shoot any better than they used to for me.
    I agree with you DB. You have to have confidence in what you shoot.
    How most things in archery come full circle. Arrows are better today. But years agao when arrows werent that straight and great. Great scores were shot as well.
    DB

Im shooting Victory X ringer 350s out my 60# Elite XXL

I have 110 grain NIBB tips (2413 Nibb)

The shaft is cut to 27.75" despite my 30" draw. It was more of an accident than planned that way. I didnt need them to be that short.

The issue though is that Archer's advantage says that shaft is WAY too stiff.

Shouldnt be, a .350 spine is pretty dang close with that much weight up front. The short shaft will stiffen things up a bit... but even showing the shaft at 29" the program wont even register the shaft as coming into spine range for that draw weight.

Wondering if that is an anomaly with AA? or are they really too stiff?

I like them, I've shot some fantastic scores with them

They are not very durable...

I dont know if I subscribe to the thought of them increasing score... From what I've seen, if the target is shot up as all, they can kick a rediculous amount in the target. That kick can easily drag a line, or not drag a line.

I like that they are light (5.x gpi) and that allows for beautiful FOC

That said, Im fletching up some Cheetah 3d's for a comparison.

Carbon Express is another option buning in the back of my head. great shaft.

I agree with some pros like Nathan when selecting an arrow. Find the one that will bare shaft tune of at least 20 yards. I would use the one that is the largest and could still bare shaft tune. I think it would probably be the most forgiving arrow, like Jame was talking about. When you have a short draw length or low poundage could affect how large of an arrow you could shoot because of the spine, and give you more tunability issues.

Victory xringers are going to be the most consistant in spine weight and straightness your going to find. Victory is probably number 3 in the world in arrows ...and its only 4 year old company ....

Victory xringers Here