You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dying breed ?

It's not about the name..

Default Dying breed ?

The more I look around on here (and use the search function ) the more I notice that I am one of a few that still use my old wrist strap trigger release. I have a couple questions for you all. How many of you are still using a wrist strap trigger ? And how many used to use one but switched ? If you switched, what did you switch yo, why did you switch, and do you like the strappless beter? (LOL, sounds like a bra commercial)

Just gathering some info.
    Adam.......
    Not a newb, just been out of it a while.

I still use the Wrist strap.

Scott little bitty goose.

I have not shot many other releases other than the wrist strap but the ones I did i didnt care for. But everyone is different.
    That course was so easy I even missed a target !!

Default Short N Sweet S1

I'm still using a wrist strap trigger release and many still are around the club I'm a member of use them. I find that most people have multiple releases! I am going to be looking into a back tension release soon, only because I've heard it really helps with accuracy.
    Rhino
    Michigan
    2007 X-Force 6
    28"/53 lbs
    X-Weave Pro 100's

Quote Originally Posted by Rhustek View Post
    I'm still using a wrist strap trigger release and many still are around the club I'm a member of use them. I find that most people have multiple releases! I am going to be looking into a back tension release soon, only because I've heard it really helps with accuracy.
    I keep seeing the same thing about accuracy, and that is what made me ask about this. I'm considering buying one, but not sure if I really want to get into the whole "relearning" thing. I'm pretty set in my ways now. Actually, I have no idea what kind of release it is that I use. I bought it about 15 years ago for $30 from a guy and fell in love with it. He said that he had some machine work done to it and when it was done the trigger was to "flighty" for him. Funny thing is, everyone else that has tried to use my release says they hate it. The trigger reminds me of a piece of uncooked spaghetti, It don't take much pressure at all to actuate it but it is very crisp. Actually, without it being hooked up to the string and with the jaws closed, if I blow hard enough on the trigger it will open. It is very solid with pressure (the bow string/ D-loop ) on it.
    Adam.......

Still use one. Trueball Tornado. I've briefly tried a couple hand helds but wimp out and go back to old faithful. I had a Carter Solution 2.5 for a while, it's a BT release with a safety. I did better with that than with a thumb trigger. Just can't let my thumb do the driving I guess. Could'nt get my mind off it. Never mind target panic, I had thumb peg panic!
    Last edited by red44; 03-04-2009 at 08:58 PM.
    FBSA Member

Jerry Whittington

I still shoot a wrist strap...carter quicke 1 + w scott buckle strap... heavy...no travel...nothing wrong with a wrist strap...as long as it is heavy..no travel..and you gotta replace the wrist staps often....

I occasionally shoot a 3 finger ss long horn too..mostly for dots....

Wabbit Huntin

I shoot with a Scott. No strap and I would leave it setting everywhere in no time. Nice thing about getting older is you have all your crap together, bad part is a can't remember where I put it.

Started with a strap and got no reason to change. Fletcher 3-d. Big bad jaws!its green and gives me special powers!I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    Still use one. Trueball Tornado. I've briefly tried a couple hand helds but wimp out and go back to old faithful. I had a Carter Solution 2.5 for a while, it's a BT release with a safety. I did better with that than with a thumb trigger. Just can't let my thumb do the driving I guess. Could'nt get my mind off it. Never mind target panic, I had thumb peg panic!
    Yep, same one for me for hunting.... I've had it for about 4+ years. Works great.

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

Scott little goose here and mrs pilot shoots a little bitty goose.
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." - Phillipians 4:13
    Quickstand Archery
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings
    God's Country Outdoors

I shoot a scott little bitty goose
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

i've used a trigger for a few years now, cant get the feel for a handheld.
    I just switched from a Truball sniper to a Scott Little Bitty Goose and i really like the way i'm shooting now.
    New Breed Archery
    Gold Tip - Spot-Hogg

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Another Scott user here; unlike many of these guys I'm just a creature chaser. I'd be launching arrows at the sun out of my stand with a back tension release.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

I shot a Scott Rhino, I have tried many other brands and styles but just keep coming back to the Rhino

I use a 29 year old Barner concho style release. I have been using this same release for 28 years, though I have tried others along my journey I always return to this one. About 10 years ago I finally decided to quit trying to replace it and just enjoy shooting it since I shoot it better than any other release I have ever used.

wrist strap switched over to BT but came back to the wrist strap. I have the Sweat spot II BT release and learned to cheat with it and I started shooting worst with it. I also have a HHA little pull BT release no cheating with that one. Going to try a Primos 44 cal. again.
    07 Bowtech Commander
    sword acu-site 3rd plane gold tips
    08 FireStorm Gray 101st Airborn
    Sword Titan,Limb Driver
    09 Bowtech Admiral

I still use a strap for 3D and hunting. for spots I use a B.T.
    Lingerie football. I dont care who wins.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers

I use a wrist strap (tru-ball Hurricane) for hunting. I use a Tru-fire BT gold or my Stan's micro for spots and 3-d.

Your question was why did people change? My accuracy has improved using BT. It took some getting use to and still having to work on it, but overall accuracy it a lots better. I tried the thumb release but I still would punch the trigger causing me to be off in my shoot. BT has corrected a lot of that. Since I start shooting strickly BT my groups have improved. The only problem I'm running into now, I'm starting to mess up arrows.

What the heck is a back tension release?anyone got a link to explain how it works?
    My son shoots with a primos 44 cal. Its a good'n. I don't like that the jaws don't automatically close back after use,you have to pull trigger and push closed, but its very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by the contractor View Post
    What the heck is a back tension release?anyone got a link to explain how it works?
    My son shoots with a primos 44 cal. Its a good'n. I don't like that the jaws don't automatically close back after use,you have to pull trigger and push closed, but its very reliable.
    I am by no means a person qualified to answer that but I'll try. I believe with a back tension release, you hook it up to your D-loop or string, draw the bow back, and get your anchor set. Then I'm not sure if there is a safety that you turn off or how the darn thing works but, while you are holding your bow when you are ready to shoot you start to slowly pull back further on the release, and when the release senses the holding poundage increase to a certain set point, it releases the string.

I hope I got this right, and if I don't someone please correct me.
    Adam.......