You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Broadheads

Default Broadheads

I am shooting muzzy 3 blades now and want to shoot mechanicals for deer next season and sugestions? Was thinking about Rage cause i see that commercial a thousand times a day!
    08 Bowtech General 70# 28"
    rip cord
    tru glo

I've heard nothing but good things about the Rage from a few of my friends that are shooting them. I've got some G5 Tekan II's right now, not as large as the Rage but I like them. These are however my first mechanicals....
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." - Phillipians 4:13
    Quickstand Archery
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings
    God's Country Outdoors

Wabbit Huntin

Mechanical are illegal in WA, I shoot the Shuttle T-Loc 100 Gr.

I've also got the tekan IIs in my arsenal, havent used them yet though..my buddy shoots the rage 3 blade and has had success. I've heard good things about the rocky mtn 2 blade snypers as well.
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com

jim

I'm planning on using the Montec. I always sharpened my old Bear broadheads when I shot recurve & selfbow. Figure I will continue doing this with the Montec.

Quote Originally Posted by jim p. View Post
    I'm planning on using the Montec. I always sharpened my old Bear broadheads when I shot recurve & selfbow. Figure I will continue doing this with the Montec.
    i love my montecs...absolutely the best flying BH ive tried
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." - Phillipians 4:13
    Quickstand Archery
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings
    God's Country Outdoors

i have always used 3 blade muzzys and have been against mechanicals . BUT i just bought a pack of 2 blade rage 2". drilled an 80lb hog last night and i was suprised. rage did good and is still shootable

I have used Muzzy's for years now. But may be trying out some Rage's this season. Heck I have to switch things up every now and then or I will get bored with this stuff. Of course the Unit does'nt like it much.

Several guys around here are shootin the Rage's.

"HONDA"

Default rage three blades

i have never used the two blades, but i have used the three blades. the blade configuration on the three blades are too close and will bind on each other when they try to open, if you do happen to hit one in the shoulder you want get penetration like you would with a bone crushing fixed blade. that could cause you not to get that wall hanger. after having that happen to me i switched to the trophy ridge meat seeker, they are great expandables and boy are they tuff. there are many great broadheads out there. we all have our own opinions, you should use want makes you the most confident.

(x2) 2007 Guardians 70# @29in.
    GoldTip 5575
    Gateway Razor feathers
    Limb drivers, HHAs
    meanv supressor, TruBall

Bust 'Em

i still can't jump on the mechanical bandwagon.as long as i can tune my bow to shoot fixed blade heads to the same point as my field point i really see no use in them.as of now i am shooting a magnus snuffer ss 100 grain head and see no reason to change.i practice with them and then just resharpen them on my dmt xtra fine stone.
    Whitearrow->>>------------------->

i used rage on my two deer this year i hit my buck a little far forward and it blew through his shoulder and was stuck in the opposite one and my doe it tore her to shreds .. rage broadheads = ALOT of blood

I shot two this year and a coyote with the Rage 3 blade. I had a good blood trails but NO pass-throughs. They shoot great, but are not very durable. I screwed all three blades up and they are not good any more.

This year i used NAP spitfires and g5 striker. I shot a doe with the spitfire, hit shoulder blade on the way out and put a hole right through it. total pass through. I shot my buck this year with the g5 striker. Same shot, hit the shoulder on the far side of the deer. Total pass through. Both deer ran about the same distance. The doe bled a little more but the spit fire has a 1.5 inch cut and the striker is only 1 inch. I am sure that if you used a fixed blade with a 1.5 inch cut you would get the same amount of bleeding. Both heads held up great and both have replaceable blades.

I am giving the Snyper two blades a try this season. But I really like the Magnus Snuffer SS I shot last year. I hate decisions like that.
    That course was so easy I even missed a target !!

I shot fixed blades until mechanical became legal in Ohio. I've shot lots of different brands over the past several years but I am now back to fixed blade muzzy broad heads. Mechanical broad heads just don't seem to do as well as fixed blades. They do fly good. I have probably shot 50 or so deer and the only 2 deer I lost were with a mechanical broad head. Both of them were shoulder shots and didn't get pass through. Just my opinion.
    Athens Factory Staff Shooter
    Dead Center Archery Staff Shooter/Tru Ball staff shooter/Bohning Shooting Staff
    K&E Taxidermy
    http://www.freewebs.com/gerrystaxidermy/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by poorman View Post
    I am giving the Snyper two blades a try this season. But I really like the Magnus Snuffer SS I shot last year. I hate decisions like that.
    That is'nt a bad pair to have in the quiver.
    FBSA Member

I tried the 2 bladed rage this year. They make a big hole and fly good to.

I've used 100 grain Thunderheads, Atom razor wires, Rocket Steelheads, and Rage 2 Blades. Ive killed deer just fine with all and haven't lost one yet (knock on wood). The best penetration was the Atom with fair to good blood trails. The best blood trails have come with the Rage. I shot 4 deer with the Rage last season. One passed through both shoulder blades, no problem, at 20 yards with a 60# Vectrix. Another broke the front elbow on entry and still passed through the ribs on exit. This Rage only needed resharpening before reuse. I did bend 1 blade on a straight down shot 6' from my tree. The arrow hit just inside the spine, passed through a lung and the heart, and hit the far front leg elbow and broke it. I'll reuse this broadhead too, if I ever need to buy replacement blades. I'll stick with the Rage 2 blades until I find something else I think might work better, or somebody buys them out and turns them into crap, like the Rockets. If you do go with the Rage, I suggest sharpening the tip and touching up the blades a bit before hunting. I like them as sharp as I can get them. Have fun, I do.