You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default In-door 3d & bow shop

I have been really considering of starting my own indoor 3d archery range w/ a archery shop to. What would you guys want to see to really make you go their and shoot.

Old and Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by ridgewalker243 View Post
    I have been really considering of starting my own indoor 3d archery range w/ a archery shop to. What would you guys want to see to really make you go their and shoot.
    Hooters girls for score keepers.
    Just remember once you open your own shop and range. FORGET about going hunting, or to 3-D's or whatever it is you do in your spare time. Once your hobby becomes a full time job it loses a lot of its appeal.

You might talk to the guys at Deer Creek Archery in Churchville, MD

http://www.deercreekarchery.com/

They've been doing this for several years (at least 4 years that I know of and probably long before that)

Adam of Archery Outfitter fstgstdsmpay's Avatar

I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you can make it. For me I started out in a basement moved to a full shop and range, well long story short back in the basement. Had a big customer following but between rent in a good location and heating bills for the range just couldnt swing it. But I do wish you the best of luck

im on my 8th year with my range and business has increased ever year .my shop has become a gathering place for shooters and those that just like to watch .im in a pretty cold area and in the winter its snowmobiling or ice fishing and if ones good usually the other is bad .im going to get feed back for this but the thing that makes it work is selling BEER and pizzas (plus my ability to set up bows ). i have 70 shooters this winter and some of them drive 50 miles plus to get here .ill have shooters come in on a saturday and shoot the range have a pizza and a few beers . they will be here for 5 hours and it costs them around 20 dollars . you tell me where you can go for around 4 bucks a hour .i have a 16 week winter league and for the last 9 weeks im averaging over 80 hrs a week in the range .funny thing is people have a hard time paying 4 or 5 dollars for a string loop but they dont have a problem paying 55 bucks for a case of beer .

I like a least 2 levels to shoot from. Lots of trees and logs. Good variety of animals. If the targets are all in the open without any obstructions it gets old fast. Move targets often. Replace bad targets. I shoot my hunting set-up most of the time, and hate it when I ruin an arrow because of a pass through.

I have a few things I look for in every business I walk into, being involved in retail for quite a few years I do understand quite a few basic concepts that might be obvious to me, but not necessarily at the forefront of retail sales/service owner's minds. I run into this all the time with some of the businesses I work with.

-Customer Service: Priority 1 - Without the customer you are out of business before you even start. ALWAYS greet the customer. Never apologize for not having something or not being able to help. Always offer an alternative. i.e. "I don't know but I'll call you and let you know. Please leave me your name and number". NEVER be combatitive and NEVER be critical of a competitor or a competitor's offerings. That's a BOZO NO-NO.
    -ALWAYS call a customer back when they leave a message or if you offer to call them back.
    -Flexibility: If you don't have it to sell, figure out a way to get it to satisfy a customer's request. You might consider doing that at cost or a slight loss to gain a loyal customer. i.e. Lose $10 on a rest to gain $100 on a bow sale. It's a no brainer.
    -Customer Experience: Cleanliness, organization, bright cheerful environment. Professional looking employee(s). Nice pants, no long hair, bow branded polo shirts or button down shirt. No jeans, no shorts, no T-shirts.... That's a major turnoff and it's been documented as such.
    -Shoot organization: Make it organized but fun. Nobody wants to stand around waiting for the shoot director to get a clue.
    -Be family oriented: Fun shoots for kids. Shoot balloons... Cheap and fun.
    -Plan EVERYTHING ahead: Do not shoot from the hip and do things with a knee-jerk reaction. Think about what you do and try to anticipate what your customers REALLY want as opposed to what you THINK they want. There is a BIG difference.
    -Variety: Change the customer offering often (within reason for financial reasons). (That's a personal nit-pick of mine though).
    -And last but not least: CUSTOMER SERVICE and CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE. But I said that before but you would be surprised at those customer facing businesses out there that don't give that a first thought. They just think about what they can deposit into their bank account.

There are many more things but I think I gave you a good starting picture on what you need to think about.

Hope that helped and good luck in starting out. I hope you are successful in getting things going and more importantly keeping them going.

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

Quote Originally Posted by archeryisme View Post
    Hooters girls for score keepers.
    Just remember once you open your own shop and range. FORGET about going hunting, or to 3-D's or whatever it is you do in your spare time. Once your hobby becomes a full time job it loses a lot of its appeal.
    Not if you have somebody working with/for you that you can trust....
    That scenario only occurs when your business grows to the point where you cannot keep up. Then you need to make a decision. Either grow it, or be a slave to it. That's the tough juncture that small sucessfull businesses get to.

That's a big conversation though and there is no exact science to mitigate a situation like that.

Heck, I know a lot about it and I'm scared to heck to have my own business....

Ron

OVERHEAD,OVERHEAD,OVERHEAD

Longevity is the key to any buisness. If you can show customer you aim to be around a while they will come back. If they walk in with the feeling this guy wont last long they probably wont come back. Keep your cost as low as possible so you can stay open. Keep it fun and dont push products. Push service.
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

Quote Originally Posted by jdawg240 View Post
    OVERHEAD,OVERHEAD,OVERHEAD

Longevity is the key to any buisness. If you can show customer you aim to be around a while they will come back. If they walk in with the feeling this guy wont last long they probably wont come back. Keep your cost as low as possible so you can stay open. Keep it fun and dont push products. Push service.
    Exactly.

Ron

Default Input

Thanks for all the really good input. I will definitely keep it all in mind. Has any one ever done any cash prize shoots at all or does that complicate things to much. I think the bigger the variety of things you can do the better you will be. Just keeping people interested and trying new things. Does any one like to shoot video target?

i do i do

Quote Originally Posted by ridgewalker243 View Post
    Thanks for all the really good input. I will definitely keep it all in mind. Has any one ever done any cash prize shoots at all or does that complicate things to much. I think the bigger the variety of things you can do the better you will be. Just keeping people interested and trying new things. Does any one like to shoot video target?
    I don't run my own small business or are involved in achery other than a hobby so I cannot coment on that.

I would be careful about gambling related events and local laws since sometimes you need to donate a % of money involved to a local charity to be on the safe side. We have some poker tourneys around here and I think the organizer/sponsor needs to donate 5% to a local org or charity to make it 'legal'.

Just do some homework and be sure you're not going to get into legal/government hassles over anything.

Again, good luck. I hope you have good success.

Ron

Smile

I also want to make a shop. Right now I am only selling accessories, and putting together aluminum and carbon arrows for a shop outside of town. He wanted to expand because it was getting pretty popular so I told him I could help and how I am a co-owner for his shop. This all happend in about 9 months.