You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Wich is the best trad.recurve?

Hi
    Im thinking about buying a new bow like the Martin Mamba or Martin Hunter.
    Are any of those good and is there a bow thats better for the same price?
    Im mostly going to be stump shooting and target shooting, but i want something that i can use for hunting also if i get into that.
    Also i wonder if i should pick a some what longer bow or if i should stick to 58" like i shoot now. My draw is 28.

With you DL the field is wide open. You should do fine with the Martins. Trad bows are no different than compounds in that they are subject to personal preference. Hence, you'll hear many different opinions. If you want the possibility of using it to hunt, I'd keep DW at a minimum of 45lbs (or whatever your state minimum is). Is this your first trad bow? Welcome to the site.
    FBSA Member

Uncle Sam's Canoe Club SandSquid's Avatar

I have a couple of the new Jaguar Recurve Take-Down's on order for my youth group... they look real promising and the price sure is right!

I just finished making a two-bundle Flemish-twist bowstring for my Bear Tamerlane HC-300.... It's been YEARS since I've drawn such a sweet bow.
    Just wish I could shoot it! a few more weeks, hopefully!
    SandSquid

Gone camping in the mountains of Afghanistan.
    Will return sometime in early/mid 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    With you DL the field is wide open. You should do fine with the Martins. Trad bows are no different than compounds in that they are subject to personal preference. Hence, you'll hear many different opinions. If you want the possibility of using it to hunt, I'd keep DW at a minimum of 45lbs (or whatever your state minimum is). Is this your first trad bow? Welcome to the site.
    Thanks for the welcome.
    I have been shooting a 45# samick mind 30 recurve for a couple of years now.
    Id say its a good bow for the price i paid but its very noisey and a little on the light side in terms of DW.
    It only feels natural to move on to the next step and get a better bow.

I dont know what strenght will be minimum when bowhunting becomes legal where i live. The official decision hasnt been made yet. Maybe it will be compounds only.
    But from what ive read 60lbs should be plenty enough for a trad.bow, so ill go for that.

Off the shelf

I shoot a dream catcher 45 lb. I have owned several traditional bows over the years. You will not go wrong with either of your choices. I also shoot cam bows and I have to get my recurve out alot to keep myself sharp with it.