You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Question Please help me resurrect my bow

The bit of cooler weather today made me think about hunting and drew me to my bow. Itís been sitting in itís case down in the basement untouched for about 6 years. The bowstring had let go and unwound a bit in the center. I guess worse things could have happened.

Iíll list what I currently have and I ask if you see something grossly out of spec or unnecessary please let me know. I donít have a lot of money so Iíd place my budget at around $200.00 to get back into the stand this season. If thatís not possible please let me know now.

OK here goes:

Bow: 1995ish Hoyt Striker with Intruder Limbs and two cams. The cams are marked C3T & C3B. 60-70# I was running about 65# and a 29Ē draw length. I originally shot fingers and then switched over to a release and the draw length at itís shortest still felt a tad too long with the TRU Ball release.

Sights: Hoyt fiber optic mounts to the bow in an aluminum bracket.

Rest: Iím really not sure but itís mounted on what I think is called an overdraw. I think Hoyt makes it because like the sights it sits in a camo anodized aluminum bracket. It shoots **** feather down and comprises of two bent fingers that support the arrow.

Arrows: Easton XX75 2413 Superlites with 4Ē feather fletching that appear to be straight but it looks as if the feathers would cause the arrow to spin Counter Clock Wise in flight. Measuring from the V in the nock to the bushing I came up with 29 3/8Ē. With 125gr field points the arrowís total weight is ~ 500grains. If Iím reading my notes correctly I was getting 230fps with them. If thatís correct Iím getting 58#s of Kinetic Energy. Not much of a margin for using mechanical broadheads unless my notes are wrong (quite possible)

Iím going to need a dozen arrows along with a new bowstring to start. I was told feathers are more forgiving is there anything to that or can I get by with vanes. A guy I used to work with who had a small bow business on the side set up this bow for me. Iíve since lost touch with him so I get to come here and bother you nice folks.

If photos help Iíll post some.

Sorry for the long post but Iíd really like to know if you think I can get this rig running again.

Thanks!

When you get new arrows, do your self a favor and get some carbons, much more forgiving in the long run, and not all that expensive, you can also purchace a half dozen at a time and save a few pennies, to put towards other things, such as a new string and cables......you may be able to find a dealer around who might still have modules to fit that bow, to make it fell comfortable to you.....other than that have someone who is qualified look at the bow for any signs of damage from sitting and not being used, such as hair line cracks in the limbs......oh and by the way WELCOME!!!
    I cut things up and split them down!

Thanks for the welcome.

I do plan on having someone look it over. The local shop (older gent with lots of experience) doesn't stock Hoyt so I guess I'm better off finding a shop that does or does it not really matter.

I'm charging up the camera so I can post some photos tomorrow. I remembered I have a Cabelas gift certificate so we can up the budget to $300.00

OK here's some pics

Please help me resurrect my bow - General Archery Forum
    Not a bad looking Bow

The sights, These I'll probably leave alone. They aren't fancy but they are good enough for anything I'll be doing with it.

And the arrow rest
    Hope these help some.