You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Bear Alaskan questions

Let me first say that I am new to archery and I recently aquired a Bear Alaskan compound bow. Can anyone give me some information on this bow, I cannot find much on the internet. Is this considered a "low quality" bow? Is it an older bow? The string or cable is frayed, if I were to replace it what length would I need to get and how hard is it to do on my own or would I need to take it to a professional? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by brad8k View Post
    Let me first say that I am new to archery and I recently aquired a Bear Alaskan compound bow. Can anyone give me some information on this bow, I cannot find much on the internet. Is this considered a "low quality" bow? Is it an older bow? The string or cable is frayed, if I were to replace it what length would I need to get and how hard is it to do on my own or would I need to take it to a professional? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I doubt you cann get any parts ,although a good string maker with knowledge of the older bows and their string/cable requirements could probably make you one...

As to age... 1974 - 1977 or thereabouts... I wouldn't fool with it.. I got a closet full of older bows like that just for pulling out to reflect on what we used to shoot, then return to modern bows...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper