You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Red face Want to choose 3d/ target competition bow

I want to choose a bow for target and 3d competition. I want a bow that will not break the rules. I heard for target you can not go over 60# and for 3d cannot exceed 288 fps. If I use a bow with a 70# max but have it set at 60# will that be alright? What other considerations are there? Where can I find guidelines? Thanks for the help. I am new at this and need some direction.

IBO 5gr/lb

ASA 280 Fps

I choose an Apex 7 I shoot well within the 5gr per lb but I am too fast for ASA at 294

I mostly shoot IBO,,,not alot of ASA in Indiana

I have a conquest apex at 52 lbs and 29.5 draw. and my speed is ok...only 266fps with a 353 grain arrow.

Default Several good 3d bows

Quote Originally Posted by alaz View Post
    I want to choose a bow for target and 3d competition. I want a bow that will not break the rules. I heard for target you can not go over 60# and for 3d cannot exceed 288 fps. If I use a bow with a 70# max but have it set at 60# will that be alright? What other considerations are there? Where can I find guidelines? Thanks for the help. I am new at this and need some direction.

Hoyt Pro Elite Bows are awesome
    Mathews the C4 a great bow.
    Elite the GT500 and XLR
    Pse the money maker
    Alpine Ventura Bow.

I shot a GT500 from Elite for speed and Im able to shoot a heavy arrow with my short draw at 280fps for ASA. This bow could do IBO and ASA. Its a speed bow with accuracy.
    DB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

you can shoot over 60lbs of draw weight

Quote Originally Posted by ba3darcher View Post
    you can shoot over 60lbs of draw weight
    Except for NAA/FITA events...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

You can try and find a used Mathews Ovation.
    It's not a spped demon by any sense of the imagination but it holds on target like a rock and has a smooth draw cycle. It's a very comfortable bow to shoot.

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

Quote Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
    Except for NAA/FITA events...

I do not mean to sound uninformed, but I am...
    How severely does that limit my options? Can I shoot a 70 pound bow set at 60 in those competitions?
    Any thoughts on a Pearson z-34?

Quote Originally Posted by alaz View Post
    I do not mean to sound uninformed, but I am...
    How severely does that limit my options? Can I shoot a 70 pound bow set at 60 in those competitions?
    Any thoughts on a Pearson z-34?
    Yes.. you can back a bow down, there will be a very slight loss of efficency and a small increase in both draw length and vibration. But it can be done.. At the official tournaments and events they will inspect your bow and measure the draw weight with their scale... they don't fool around about it either...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

I wouldn't buy a 70lb target bow. Most of the 60lb bows will actually come in a few pounds heavier and offer all the speed you need. Any of the bows DB mentioned should get you 280 fps with a decent weight arrow without having to pull 70 lbs. For shooting indoor you will most likely drop down in the 50's anyway.

Your draw length will be a major contributing factor to which bow I'd suggest for an "all-around" bow. If you are just starting I doubt that you are going to order up a new vantage elite at over $1000 for the bare bow. I would really look at the used stuff to get started. Just the same if you are a 26" dl a $400 apex from the classified section is not going to make 280 fps very easily.

What is your draw length?

Lots of good info here.................Just for throwing it in so you know what kind of numbers to expect...........Here is my setup and we chrono'd it last night.

Mathews Apex 7
    28.5" draw
    60.8 lbs by the easton handheld scale
    363 grain Goldtip XT............wrapped, fletched, with 100 grain tips

It chrono'd at 279 last night....................

I've got a dozen new XT's sitting on my bench.............gonna put mini blazers on and a 85 grain tip and it should be 283.............

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    You can try and find a used Mathews Ovation.
    It's not a spped demon by any sense of the imagination but it holds on target like a rock and has a smooth draw cycle. It's a very comfortable bow to shoot.

Ron
    X2 I agree with Ron, since he has great taste in bows And My Ovation shoots great, smooth draw, and a real tack driver.
    Mathews Ovation 60 lbs 29 Dl- Ranger custom Strings
    HHA 5500 ol - Trophy Taker shakey hunter-
    Tru Ball pro diamond- Gold Tip X-cutters= awsome shootin'
    (new)FBSA Member

Alaz,

With a 29.5" draw length you should have a lot of good choices that will get you in the 280's without sacrificing shootablilty (I'm not fond of the word "forgivness" as it is very often misunderstood).

Obviously the very best thing is to attend a few shoots and find some guys that will let you fling a few arrows with their set ups. Keep in mind that most of us have a lot of money tied up into our choices and each think "ours" is the best if for no other reason to justify the cash we spent! So, shoot them all and listen to the shooters with a grain of salt.

I personally would stay with a bow that is at least 37 inches axle to axle. For an all-around target bow for someone as long of a draw as you.

Next I would stick to one of the bows that has narrow grip to help deter torque issues. No big wood or plastic grips for me.

Now, back to the "grain of salt" thing, I prefer Hoyt's offerings above the rest. I love the balance and feel of their risers and the draw cycles of both the cam and a half plus and the spirals.

I don't know if there is a better shooting all around bow than the ultra elite with 3000 limbs and cam and 1/2. If there is, then it is the Vantage elite. There are usually several of the forementioned ultra elite in the clasified adds on these archery web sites. The pro elite is right there close as are the pro-38's and 737's. All are great all-around bows.

Going to Mathew's I'd look hard at the apex and conquest 4. With the C-4 you have the choice of going to the mini-max cam and with a little tweaking can get great speed. My experience with the apex 7 is that experienced shooters either love it or hate it. They are not a bow that everyone can shoot. Not a bad bow, but just one that not everyone can shoot, and not one I'd order without shooting.

My next choice would go to the PSE's, mostly the moneymaker. I know that they are uglier than sin, but they really shoot well for about everyone that tries them.

There are my top choices for you. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntelk View Post
    Alaz,

With a 29.5" draw length you should have a lot of good choices that will get you in the 280's without sacrificing shootablilty (I'm not fond of the word "forgivness" as it is very often misunderstood).

Obviously the very best thing is to attend a few shoots and find some guys that will let you fling a few arrows with their set ups. Keep in mind that most of us have a lot of money tied up into our choices and each think "ours" is the best if for no other reason to justify the cash we spent! So, shoot them all and listen to the shooters with a grain of salt.

I personally would stay with a bow that is at least 37 inches axle to axle. For an all-around target bow for someone as long of a draw as you.

Next I would stick to one of the bows that has narrow grip to help deter torque issues. No big wood or plastic grips for me.

Now, back to the "grain of salt" thing, I prefer Hoyt's offerings above the rest. I love the balance and feel of their risers and the draw cycles of both the cam and a half plus and the spirals.

I don't know if there is a better shooting all around bow than the ultra elite with 3000 limbs and cam and 1/2. If there is, then it is the Vantage elite. There are usually several of the forementioned ultra elite in the clasified adds on these archery web sites. The pro elite is right there close as are the pro-38's and 737's. All are great all-around bows.

Going to Mathew's I'd look hard at the apex and conquest 4. With the C-4 you have the choice of going to the mini-max cam and with a little tweaking can get great speed. My experience with the apex 7 is that experienced shooters either love it or hate it. They are not a bow that everyone can shoot. Not a bad bow, but just one that not everyone can shoot, and not one I'd order without shooting.

My next choice would go to the PSE's, mostly the moneymaker. I know that they are uglier than sin, but they really shoot well for about everyone that tries them.

There are my top choices for you. You really can't go wrong with any of them.
    Just a note: going to the Mini-Max cam on the C-4 will result in a lost of draw weight of approximately 5 lbs and I don't think it will got to 29.5" I don't have my chart here at the office but I think 29" is the limit for a MM cam on the C-4.. I'll check when I get home...

Also the best Hoyt was the UltraElite with XT3000's and SPIRAL cams...

Oh heck I forgot... I'd recommend the A-7 for a 29.5" draw...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
    Just a note: going to the Mini-Max cam on the C-4 will result in a lost of draw weight of approximately 5 lbs and I don't think it will got to 29.5" I don't have my chart here at the office but I think 29" is the limit for a MM cam on the C-4.. I'll check when I get home...

Also the best Hoyt was the UltraElite with XT3000's and SPIRAL cams...

Oh heck I forgot... I'd recommend the A-7 for a 29.5" draw...
    On the C-4 as I said with the mini max it takes some tweaking but there are a couple IBO guys I shoot with that got-r-dun. But, whereas the posting question is by a new guy I should have left that option out. So for you ALAZ, ignore the mini-max option on the c-4!

I thought I'd get the A-7 from you Javi The end of that summer they came out with that thing there were several of us shooting Mathews that switched brands after fighting the A-7 all season !

Quote Originally Posted by Huntelk View Post
    On the C-4 as I said with the mini max it takes some tweaking but there are a couple IBO guys I shoot with that got-r-dun. But, whereas the posting question is by a new guy I should have left that option out. So for you ALAZ, ignore the mini-max option on the c-4!

I thought I'd get the A-7 from you Javi The end of that summer they came out with that thing there were several of us shooting Mathews that switched brands after fighting the A-7 all season !
    A lot of the FITA boys are shooting them with good results... it sure don't seem to bother Chris White none...

And outdoors I shoot it better than I was the Apex.. it was just too slow at 29" for anything but indoors.

By the way... I know how to tweak the C-4 to work at 29.5" with the mini max and keep it to 60 lbs... but the Apex would be just as fast..
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

I would personally try an Apex 7.

It just feels so good to me.

"HONDA"

Talking

Thanks for all the info. My head is spinning. I am going to check out the bows. I also am going to go to some shops and try some on. Wish me luck.