You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default How do you get your BT release to fire?

I watched GRIV's DVD recently and found that I shoot my BT release different than what he teaches.....I settle in and squeeze with my shoulders to get the release to rotate slightly and go off. George teaches you to relax your index finger to get the release to rotate and go off. I've been trying George's style and it is beating me up. I can blank bale all day and shoot with a string aid all day and get great releases....I put my sight on and I freeze up. I'm sure I just need to keep blank baleing till I get it right.
    I wondering which way you get your BT to fire?

Pretty much by relaxing my index finger, I think.
    I'll have to think about it next time I shoot.

Ted

good post, I would also like to know.

I have heard of pulling back muscles together and relaxing you index what ever feels good
    Bowtech Bows, Goldtip, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Tru Ball, Axcel
    Whistling Wings Guide Service
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

ive read many different ways to get this one accomplished.

ive recently found some good results with my older scott longhorn 2 finger.

i draw with my thumb on the peg (kinda like a safety).

when i settle into my anchor point i move my thumb off the post.

the release usually settles. eventually easing into the click.

by this time I've came down from the top of the target and can begin aiming.

no voodoo hoodoo finding these mysterious back muscles. i concentrate on aiming and ever so gently push/pull simultaneously. (maybe this is whats happening with my muscles, but I'm too simple of a person to know this)

here's where the whole epiphany occurred for me. i had read about pushing and pulling with the mental imagery of 'stretching a rubber band'

this is what has worked for me........as crazy as it may seem.

why this works in my mind?

(1)it works as it is intended. a surprise unexpected release! i know eventually it will fire..........i just don't know when.

keeps me from 'monkeying' up the whole shot process. no flinching, jerking, or subconsciously snatching up the bow handle. that arrows on the way to the target before my goofy mind can get into the business of finding a way to mess things up.

(2) more importantly..................my mind is focused on aiming rather than wondering about aiming and when i'm going to punch the trigger.

i wanted a change in my form and shooting habits. change doesn't occur just by wishing it. i had to actively work on this whole deal, which meant giving up some previously held ideas and getting rid of a little stubbornness.

sorry for the long winded post. but this is what has worked for me. if this helps one struggling shooter, then I'm a happy camper.

one crazy archers perspective.

camoham

good post camoham!

The key for most of us is to not know exactly what it happening and how we are manipulating the release because we are focused on the target. The opposite is true for subconscious aimers.

If you want a specific motion of your release, it has to be practiced to the subconscious level off target. Then when you get to a target, you have to start close where there is little pressure to make a good shot. But keep you focus and concentration only on the target. Any flicker of attention away from the X and you should let down. (Unfortunately, this is easy to say but hard for me to do But I'm working on it)

Relaxing the index finger is not the whole of GRIV's execution technique. Don't forget the feeling of pushing your elbow back. Since you are anchored, the elbow doesn't actually move back, but your scapula does move in toward your spine. So this ends up being very much like Larry Wise describes it.

I suggest that you read some of GRIV's old posts on AT. There is a better description of his method there. Or better yet, find one of his seminars. That way you are getting it straight from the source.

George is one of the most approachable people in this sport, and that's saying something. He has been increadibly patient with my questions. Don't hesitated to contact him directly.

Good luck,
    Allen
    Last edited by Allen; 03-16-2009 at 10:44 AM.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding it......that could very well be.

Focus on aiming and just let the release go off. I relax my index or simply punch the crap outta it. I have bad TP sometimes.

"HONDA"