You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Field Point Weight?

I'm completely new to 3D. What is the most popular grain field point everyone uses for 3D?

Not sure if there is any popular point weight that I have seen. Seems like most use what works best with their bow/arrow configuration as far as spine and FOC.

I use an 85grn myself.

Default Robo1

Usually field points can weight anything from 90 grns to 140grns which I use.

It depends on the total arrow weight and spine of arrow your using.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Arrow point weight is a factor in getting proper arrow spine for your draw weight, letoff and draw length, obviously as well as arrow stiffness itself...

You should just not run out and get a 125 grain point because it's the most popular.

You need to 'build' your arrow with the proper point weight for your bow, along with vanes/feathers and nocks/bushings, ect.... that's beneficial to your setup and what you want to do with your bow. You said you wanted to do 3D. Lighter overall weight is most likely better in a built arrow for 3D however the arrow still needs to match your bow.

But having said that, you could hunt with one arrow setup and shoot 3D with another arrow setup. You would need to re-tune and re-sight-in when you switched arrows but you could have the best of both worlds if you did it that way. I know a lot of people who do that if they just have hunting bows and nothing dedicated to 3D or indoor target. They shoot target with one arrow setup and one sight and then swap arrows and sight for hunting... A little re-tuning in between and you have a nice compromise.

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

Thanks for the replies. So when you all "build" your arrows, are you building to obtain a certain speed or a certain weight?

Default Example

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Coot View Post
    Thanks for the replies. So when you all "build" your arrows, are you building to obtain a certain speed or a certain weight?
    In ASA we shoot 280fps. So we build are arrows to hit this speed. You build your arrows to tune and shoot tight groups. If your shooting Goldtips you should check there charts to see what grns works best for your bows draw weight.
    DB

Click here for the Goldtip chart

http://www.goldtip.com/_downloads/GT_arrowSelection.pdf
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Coot View Post
    Like Db said, which actually throws a wrench into things a bit...

It's a line you have to walk if you need to have an arrow that meets your bow setup and any tournament relates issues like max arrow speed.

I don't think about what DB commented on since I don't shoot any tournaments except for fun, where the 280 fps rule, like in ASA, do not apply. And around here it's IBO rules, sort of....

I shoot in events that just limit equipment like stab length, sight type (multi pin/fixed vs. single pin slide), arrow diameter, etc... And we just shoot from different stakes for different classes. Around here those rules are very loose and poorly enforced but it's more of an issue here of having fun and getting families away from TV's and video games and get outside...

I do believe in building an arrow that fits the bow and the bow's shooter though. DB's point just takes that a step farther. Shaft weight and spine, point weight, nock/insert and vane weight all play into that.

Check out On-Target from Pinwheel software. They have a free trial version that allows you to play around with bow and arrow setup. You can actually see the effects that different arrow setups have on bow settings. It's as much as a learning tool than anything else.

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

Most I know of shoot 100 grain but it all depends on what weight and FOC you want to obtain.

"HONDA"