You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who shoots elk? Would you take this shot.

108yrds.

In the wind.

I hit it two out of three times in the vitals. Aimed at the butt on the second and third shot.
    DB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Wabbit Huntin

I shoot elk, 108 is too far. In addition to your likelihood of hitting where you aim you lose a ton of energy at that distance. Maybe 80 under ideal conditions.

Since we don't have elk, heck ya.
    I think I'd have to hold well below the level bubble, but thats just a guess.
    FBSA Member

jim

DB, If you don't mind my asking. How much penetration did you get in the target ?

thanks, jim p.

Default 108yrds

Quote Originally Posted by jim p. View Post
    DB, If you don't mind my asking. How much penetration did you get in the target ?

thanks, jim p.

Peneatration wasnt bad. 340grn arrow.

Let me make this perfectly clear. I would not take this shot on any elk.

60yrds was my max that I said I would shoot an elk.

But with bows faster than ever it going to happen more and more. I see a 350 fps second bow coming next year.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

This shot would be lethal if hit it correctly but too many variables to take that chance. Now 60 yards with a range finder and not too bad wind, I'm shooting.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Wabbit Huntin

I had a downhill shot this year on a nice bull, 90 actual 75 bythe rangefinder. I probably would have had no problem but I passed and tried to work my way closer, never saw him again, oh well.

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

108 yds on a live animal is too far for me. There's just too many variables that could make the shot go wrong. I'm sure there are people out there who could easily make the shot, and I'm sure there are even more out there who THINK they could make the shot especially with the new speed bows out, but I'm not one of them. I would limit myself to a MAX of 60 yds on elk, and only if I had a range finder.
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

I am not good enough to take a shot that far at a live animal.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

That's an easy call - Nope, WAY past my range even on that big a target. OTOH if I ever go elk hunting it will be a rare enough opportunity I'll be taking my 35 Whelen.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Now thats a tough shot! i couldnt take this one , the killer variable for me is the wind ......

OK its the 108 yrds too!! 80 yrds, i may go all in ,and even then i definately would take a minute to think hard!

At 108 yards, and even shooting one of the fast bows, the elk could probably take three steps before the arrow arrived and that would be a hit in the butt or a total miss. Even at 80 yards the elk could take one to two step and then you have wounded the elk. I would pass and try to close the range.
    Bob
    If I can't hunt in
    heaven, I don't wanna go
    Shoot straight, and aim
    for the 12 ring.

I would...........................

With the 300 mag

No way with a bow. 45 50 yards max for me
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

Default I see their was a little waves in the water.

How much wind was their and you hit it. Too long a shot for me in huntin mode. But a foamhead shot I'm all over it. I was looking at the lake and seen a little chop in the water so I know it was a difficult shot. Interesting shot to take in practice or real stuff. to far for me in real world. the bow can do it but not sure about calling the wind. So the shot was taken, wonder if the wind went away as it dropped below the dam, stuff to consider.

No way I would take it at a live animal. Now at foam.........what the heck its just an arrow.

"HONDA"

I'm with jdawg.
    108 yards, I would like to try that just for fun. I can't imagine shooting a bow that far, never even crossed my mind. I would think just hitting the target is saying something.

Default Wind

Quote Originally Posted by wyoming4x4 View Post
    How much wind was their and you hit it. Too long a shot for me in huntin mode. But a foamhead shot I'm all over it. I was looking at the lake and seen a little chop in the water so I know it was a difficult shot. Interesting shot to take in practice or real stuff. to far for me in real world. the bow can do it but not sure about calling the wind. So the shot was taken, wonder if the wind went away as it dropped below the dam, stuff to consider.

I missed on the first shot. (No way should anyone try this shot on a live Elk.) Hit low between the legs. Next shot I aimed at his back hip to hit the vitals. Third shot was just the same. Diffiantly one of the most challenging shots I ever shot. But I did win a T shirt that says I hit the Elk at Cushing.
    DB

Shootin foam....i'll try anything.

Live elk, absolutely not.

Now, what i would do is slip down the hill into that water sneak up to the far bank and pop up outta there like Rambo, arrows flyin, and ambush that booger.
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." - Phillipians 4:13
    Quickstand Archery
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings
    God's Country Outdoors

So when Fred Bear said "You can't hit em ,if you don't shoot at em!" was he wrong???? Ken

Default Ken

Quote Originally Posted by I BOW 2 View Post
    So when Fred Bear said "You can't hit em ,if you don't shoot at em!" was he wrong???? Ken

You field shooters group tight at 80yrds all the time. Whats another 28yrds. I have seen Fred put a little arc on the arrow from time to time.
    DB