You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default loop or ultranock

Hi Guys,
    I am getting back to bowhunting after a number of years off. I used to use a loop on the string for my release. It worked well except it would shift and bind the nock after a lot of shooting.

I see that there are similar loops made of metal that look like they wouldn't shift. One of the examples would be the ultra nock.

is there a draw back to the metal loops?

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jjtaub View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I am getting back to bowhunting after a number of years off. I used to use a loop on the string for my release. It worked well except it would shift and bind the nock after a lot of shooting.

I see that there are similar loops made of metal that look like they wouldn't shift. One of the examples would be the ultra nock.

is there a draw back to the metal loops?
    Loop! definately without a doubt. I've talked to a few people that used the "metal loops" and they always had issues with them spinning on them. My loop never has a problem. Go with a loop and you'll be golden

Go with a string loop. The metal D loops are bad, horrible, terrible, weigh a ton, rob your bow of speed, can be dangerous is the screws break. I think that covers how I feel about them.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Dredly gives a lot of great advice and this time is no different......

If you want to stop it from creeping and pinching the nock, start by putting in a serving nock above or below your noking point, 5-6 wraps is sufficeint, you can even put one above and below if you like, adds less weight than a brass point, does as good a job.......

Then just tie on you loop....... you will like a string loop better than a metal one.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

i have a metal loop and the only problem ive ever had is it twisting a littl u can fix that by simply twisting it the other wat and holding it 4 a couple of seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Go with a string loop. The metal D loops are bad, horrible, terrible, weigh a ton, rob your bow of speed, can be dangerous is the screws break. I think that covers how I feel about them.
    I will second all of this, plus have you ever tried to put one on???? If youdont need glasses now you will when you are done.......ie tiny little god damb screws

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by killbambidead View Post
    i have a metal loop and the only problem ive ever had is it twisting a littl u can fix that by simply twisting it the other wat and holding it 4 a couple of seconds
    Yeah thats exactly what I've seen and heard... the issue is if your using a peep sight and the metal loop is spinning and the sting isn't then you run the risk of your peep not opening right. And I've seen it happen

My sisters boyfriend used to shoot one on a Bowtech Tomcat and after every shot it would stop at a different point, and the screws COULDN"T go in tighter. it was a massive PITA. about 1/3 of the time he had to let his bow down and move the loop around a little to get the peep to open right (he was using one of the peep that run 2 strings on each side)

A string loop is definately the way to go. Plus you can always change the length of the string loops to fit your form and prefernce.

Everyone seems to have the right idea on these things. I have used both. The loop is the way to go. Usually if you take your bow to a good bow shop they can tie a good one that will not move. I have had some really bad ones tied on at places like Gander Mountain. If you still have problems you can use a nock inside the loop on the side that keeps moving. Also with a string loop you have less of a chance of torching the string. Good luck.

Hey there WELCOME to the forum this place rocks. Glad to have you here with us jjtaub.

As always alot of great advise on this forum from the crowd. I would definately suggest the string loop you will not be sorry. Good Luck

"HONDA"

String loop without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Loop! definately without a doubt. I've talked to a few people that used the "metal loops" and they always had issues with them spinning on them. My loop never has a problem. Go with a loop and you'll be golden
    I agree 100%

If there is a failure with the ultra nock, there will be little pieces of metal flying around at high speed near your eyes. I've never heard of one of these failing, but those are really small screws.

If there is a failure with the loop, it is almost certain to still be attached at the other end.

The metal loops also will scratch up your release.

not to mention the matal on metal banging when your trying to hook up for the shot......

Well, try giving this one a try and you never have to worry about screws coming loose or peep alignment, or loop breaking or whatever-----------Try a rope release.

I'll bet the majority of guys don't even know what one is.

Awhile back I used a metal d-loop! I had problems with the screws vibrating out!

I would go with the string d-loop

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Well, try giving this one a try and you never have to worry about screws coming loose or peep alignment, or loop breaking or whatever-----------Try a rope release.

I'll bet the majority of guys don't even know what one is.
    I remember those a buddy of mine used to have a cascade model 8 or 10 or something with a rope. I just had trouble hooking up to the string in some instances. Would be a nightmare with MOSSYHORNS standing in from of me I'll just stick with my jawwed release for hunting.

"HONDA"

Default string loop!!!!

Sounds like we are all on the same page, Tried one of those metal loops once took it off after about 10 shots. Something about it I did'nt like and was not comfortable with it. I shot a cascade for a while..... rope broke twice and result was punching myself in the mouth twice. Also once had my string loop break on me (was going to get it replaced later that week) also resulting in a punch to the mouth except this time I drew blood. Good thing I got a strong jaw It always sucks to get punched in the mouth and it really sucks when your the guy punching
    Target: Hoyt ProElite XT3000 C2, 60# 30", CBE Quad Lite, CBE 3x .019, Trophy Taker, Easton Fatboy 400's(indoor) lightspeed 400 (outdoor)

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Sounds like we are all on the same page, Tried one of those metal loops once took it off after about 10 shots. Something about it I did'nt like and was not comfortable with it. I shot a cascade for a while..... rope broke twice and result was punching myself in the mouth twice. Also once had my string loop break on me (was going to get it replaced later that week) also resulting in a punch to the mouth except this time I drew blood. Good thing I got a strong jaw It always sucks to get punched in the mouth and it really sucks when your the guy punching
    so did you lie and say "you should have seen the other guy" or did you just suck it up and look like an idiot?

I tried a back tension and told everyone I punched myself when they asked how I got the fat lip, I should have just told everyone it was a bar fight

I just sucked it up and looked like an idiot of course. Luckily when the loop broke I was by myself, but when the string on the cascade broke both times within 20 minutes it was with a full range Man its amazing how fast you can look like a moron
    Target: Hoyt ProElite XT3000 C2, 60# 30", CBE Quad Lite, CBE 3x .019, Trophy Taker, Easton Fatboy 400's(indoor) lightspeed 400 (outdoor)

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade

string loop, string loop , string loop

Smile

One thing is for certain, I would definitely stick to the string loop. In some cases the metal nocks seem to make a little noise when they come off of the release. Not that its extremely loud, but thats just one added sound to make your shot heard. Last thing you need! Stick with the string!