You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My blazers fly great I wouldent trade them for feathers
    Bowtech Bows, Goldtip, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Tru Ball, Axcel
    Whistling Wings Guide Service
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

Old Archer

Thumbs up Feathers or Blazers

DB,

You raise a good point, when I worked for Cabela's I shoot hundreds of test arrows for them. We tried to find faults in using something else over the new Blazers when they first came out. Hands down, blazers were faster, smoother off the bow, stablized a hunt set up faster than any other vane or feather choice. But still to this day a bunch of arrows are sold annually with feathers
    instead of vanes. And lots of helical clamps and feathers are always avaible for the do it yourselfer.

I think some of the old school guys who have adapted to the modern compound have elected to keep something from the past as part of the hunting setup. After all the feathers came from a living thing in the woods, just like the wood in bows of not so long ago! Our own Ted Nuggent still likes all white feathers on his nuge arrows. It is also what makes our sport so
    great the difference, and the dedication we have have to achive the perfect arrow flight! : good hunting! I have used both with great success!
    Last edited by grizz49; 04-02-2009 at 02:39 AM. Reason: spelling

bowhunter, Pure-n-Simple harleyryder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Gotta use what works for you. You might not even have the newest bow on the market!

DB
    Sure don't lol it's a 07 discontinued model ..............
    Hoyt Katera XL and Gold tip XT hunters arrows...Tipped with a thunderhead

Default shooting feathers now but gonna test out some vanes soon.

I've been shootin feathers with my target bow and have certain arrows I shoot because they shoot great. In our group I shoot with I'm one of the one to beat and I'm the only feather shooter now. They do look cool. Mine are getting warn and see some strange flight in them and gonna refletch soon with more feathers. Gonna get some eclipse arrows soon and gonna experiment with vanes on them. my hunting arrows are quickspins. But no matter what arrow fletching I shoot you always seem to have acouple of arrows out of each group that shoot alike and consistant. I look at the other arrows and wonder why because they look like the rest. Maybe its a ripley's believe it or not situation, still learning this target thing.

bowhunter, Pure-n-Simple harleyryder's Avatar

[QUOTE=Daniel Boone;235282]I just dont get it. Why some perfer feathers over vanes.

Tournament archers have proven that vanes fly accurate. Blazers stabilize broadheads well as four and five inch vanes.

I guess if I was to follow that line of thought I would be shooting a Mathews cause that's what Tim G. shoots and wins with. No no no wait make that a hoyt cause that's what Dave C. shoots and wins with. Now you gone and did it Daniel. I don't know what bow to shoot cause the Tournament archers have proven that these bows are accurate but I prefer another brand lol
    Playing with ya DB.
    Anyways it's cause that I hunt with my set-up, Blazers did NOT stabilize my BH's as well as 4"feathers..Feathers will compensate for that sometimes little error while in the heat of the moment.And just cause they're wet and look terrible they'll still get the job done(try it !!!) And if the deer(or whatever)hears your feathers , he also heard your bow string ,your heavy breathing Etc..
    Hoyt Katera XL and Gold tip XT hunters arrows...Tipped with a thunderhead

I prefer vanes but love the looks of feathers.

"HONDA"

I like feathers and Blazers both.Here is a picture of one of my homemade wild turkey feathered arrows.I make these fletchings from my spring turkey kills.They are in 3 inch shield cut.I cut,grind,and chop these right from the bird.

Feathers verses Vanes for hunting - Bowhunting forum

Default Nice Job

Quote Originally Posted by rut View Post
    I like feathers and Blazers both.Here is a picture of one of my homemade wild turkey feathered arrows.I make these fletchings from my spring turkey kills.They are in 3 inch shield cut.I cut,grind,and chop these right from the bird.

Feathers verses Vanes for hunting - Bowhunting forum
    Rut, Those are some nice looking feathers. I've been keeping my turkey wing feathers for some time now. I also fletch all my own shafts with feathers, but I don't know how to make my own fletching from my wing feathers. Could you teach me? Thanks, Hawkeye

Here you go Hawk:

Here is what I do and they come out perfect.Take the primary wing feathers from the appropriate wing you plan to use(left or right)and split them down the middle with a razor knife.Split them from the inside of the feather by following the crease in the quill.Once I have the splitting done,I trim the feather from each end so that I have the middle portion of the feather left.This is usually the highest point of the oil line of the feather also.You can see the oil line by holding the feather up to a light source.The oil line gives the feather its stiffness.Once I'm at this point I take a striaght fletching clamp and place the feather into it.Once the feather is in the clamp I get some 220 grit sand paper and begin sanding the quill down to the right thickness.The clamp makes holding the feather a heck of alot easier and keeps the quill striaght while sanding.The sanding takes no time at all and you can gauge the proper thickness of the quill you want by comparing it to a factory ground feather.Once the feather is ground down,I then take and cut the feather to the desired shape and length by using a tool made by "Little Chopper".Put the feather in the chopper,smack it and out pops a perfect feather .You can get the Little Choppers at Three Rivers Archery.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rut View Post
    Here you go Hawk:

Here is what I do and they come out perfect.Take the primary wing feathers from the appropriate wing you plan to use(left or right)and split them down the middle with a razor knife.Split them from the inside of the feather by following the crease in the quill.Once I have the splitting done,I trim the feather from each end so that I have the middle portion of the feather left.This is usually the highest point of the oil line of the feather also.You can see the oil line by holding the feather up to a light source.The oil line gives the feather its stiffness.Once I'm at this point I take a striaght fletching clamp and place the feather into it.Once the feather is in the clamp I get some 220 grit sand paper and begin sanding the quill down to the right thickness.The clamp makes holding the feather a heck of alot easier and keeps the quill striaght while sanding.The sanding takes no time at all and you can gauge the proper thickness of the quill you want by comparing it to a factory ground feather.Once the feather is ground down,I then take and cut the feather to the desired shape and length by using a tool made by "Little Chopper".Put the feather in the chopper,smack it and out pops a perfect feather .You can get the Little Choppers at Three Rivers Archery.
    Thank you so much Rut. I'll give a try, but I'm sure that it'll take some time before I can produce fletching as nice as yours!!

I'll always use feathers for hunting.. they stabilize the arrow better, any little flinch, grass, leaf, and the feather corrects and straightens the arrow right back up.. the draw back that i see is that the feathers cause drag after 30 yards.. but i dont shoot past that anyway.

for 3D, i just changed to Flex-Fletch 1.5 vanes and they help a lot in the wind, there is nothing to slow down the arrow.. but my lane has to be totally clear and my shot has to be on...
    New Breed Archery
    Gold Tip - Spot-Hogg

Here are my custon cut feathers I cut to fit my bow I used the 3 rivers feather burner to cut the shape I had to make my feathers shorter because of my brace height on the Hoytt Katera.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Old Archer

Thumbs up Vanes And Feathers

I guess a final point should be noted here. Many have given there opinions on feathers or vanes. The Bottom line is that we all what to acheive the best arrow flight possible. We owe it to the game we pursue, and it seems there are still a few good sportsman around. At least on this site!
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.