You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: 3D scoring?

Default 3D scoring?

I ve always been more of a spot shooter and never really shot a lot of 3D.

This year is the year I venture over to foam.

My question...Whats up with all the different scoring rings?

The turkey I shot has a set of scoring rings that was facing me, then father back it had another set of rings.

One of the deer targets had a set of rings in the front shoulder than another set farther back in what I would call a gut shot.

The bear target had scoring rings all over it.

Which set do you score? If you mess up and hit the father back set does it still count? Who's to say which set of scoring rings to shoot at?

some of the rinehart targets have rings toward the back for shooting quartering away. the range should let you know what rings you are shooting before you start. only one set of rings is used for score. the turkey only has one set of rings in front, if facing toward you this would be the rings you would use

Default Most of the rings

Are to prolong the life of the targets. We always shoot the rings closet to the head. I dont think I have ever shot a range that shot the back rings.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Only time I've ever shot the back rings was during a pop-up tournament and they had the targets quartered pretty hard so those where the only rings you could hit.
    Archery Outpost
    Tulsa, OK
    Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Elite & Mission Bows

ok, what if someone hits the back scoring rings, can they claim a higher score?

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    ok, what if someone hits the back scoring rings, can they claim a higher score?
    No, the rings are determined before the shoot. If they choose the front rings for the shoot and you hit the back rings, you don't get to score them. You would get an 8 if you were lucky enough to stay in it from the front rings or a 5 if you were out of the front 8 ring.
    Archery Outpost
    Tulsa, OK
    Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Elite & Mission Bows

Straight from the IBO rulebook:

If more than one scoring area is visible on a target,the host organization of any IBO sanctioned event shall note which area will be used at the shooting stake. In the event that such a target is not posted, either scoring area can be used.
    SAVE A BUCK--SHOOT AN OUTFITTER

Quote Originally Posted by 'SIN'ERGY View Post

If more than one scoring area is visible on a target,the host organization of any IBO sanctioned event shall note which area will be used at the shooting stake. In the event that such a target is not posted, either scoring area can be used.
    Thats why I dont shoot IBO. You can score from the head to the tail on a target anywhere from a 5,8,10,11 to 11,10,8,5. A drive by shooter would have a great chance at a real high score with those rules

Quote Originally Posted by ba3darcher View Post
    Thats why I dont shoot IBO. You can score from the head to the tail on a target anywhere from a 5,8,10,11 to 11,10,8,5. A drive by shooter would have a great chance at a real high score with those rules
    Every "IBO SANCTIONED EVENT" that I have been too specifies which vitals you are to shoot at. So no you cannot get a drive by score.

Default huh?

Quote Originally Posted by ba3darcher View Post
    just cause you hit foam dont mean you got a high score, ASA is basically same rules on foam, anything but hoofs and horns and you score
    Mathews LX, Tiny's Bowstrings, Viper Sights, Biscuit, FMJ's, G5 Montec

Cool

If it is not clear for you yet this is the way it is. If the target is angled away from you it is called a quarting shot this is when you shoot the rear set of rings. But to be sure the best thing to do is contact the range master our person incharge. Hope this helps.....

Every "IBO SANCTIONED EVENT" that I have been too specifies which vitals you are to shoot at. So no you cannot get a drive by score.
    I was just going by what the rule you quoted from the IBO rulebook, what happens if you go to a sanctioned event and you are not told which ring to shoot, what do you score?

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

In the event that this happens, we usually agree as a group which set of rings we are going to use to score (call your shot as a group so everyone shoots at the same set of rings). The only time we really see it is on the cobra target, sometimes on the baboon.
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

Quote Originally Posted by 10s'andbetter View Post
    If it is not clear for you yet this is the way it is. If the target is angled away from you it is called a quarting shot this is when you shoot the rear set of rings. But to be sure the best thing to do is contact the range master our person incharge. Hope this helps.....
    So what if quartering looks different to me than it does to you??

Thumbs up

So what if quartering looks different to me than it does to you??
    If the shoot is indoor that is simple ask the range offical. If outdoor it will be or should be clearly marked 1/4 shot.The other thing that goes to the orriginal post is that you want your arrow to EXITin the vitals on a 1/4 shot. Hope this is better.