You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Paper tuning

Default Paper tuning

I've been reading some posts about paper tuning, and I am a bit naieve about this subject. One of the members posted some tips about paper tuning, saying that you should test at 3ft, 10ft, and 10yds. So what does this show? I am guessing that you want holes and not tears, but if you do have tears, what does that mean? Also, when people say that an arrow has too much spine, does this mean that the arrow is too ridgid? I am shooting Gold Tip Hunter 5575s cut to 28.5" with 4" vanes. I bought the arrows when I had my last bow, which was much slower than my current bow, so do these arrows fit the bill? Also, what do shorter vanes do for accuracy/performance? I am pretty much a novice when it comes to archery, so sorry for the silly questions, but all of this info is intriguing.
    Hoyt Ultramag; XT 2000; Whisker Biscuit; Trophy Ridge Micro Matrix; Cam & 1/2; Limb Saver; Tru Ball; Gold Tip Hunter 5575;

radtuck,

Paper tuning is all about getting perfect bullet holes in paper with an arrow. Sounds funny does'nt it bullet holes with and arrow. I like to stand 5-10feet from the target. Anyway to get a bullet hole you sometimes have to adjust your rest up,down,left,right or your nocking point up or down. Depends on the tear you get on the paper.

Spine, yes this is how much the arrow flexes when shot. All arrows flex and you do not want too much or not enough. I think too much is better than not enough but that is just me. So if someone says your arrows are over spined you can go with a heavier point to weaken them a little or the opposite to strengthen them. Not sure what DW your bow is at but the 5575 is spined for about 55-65 lbs hard cam bows.(not sure though). If you notice your arrows wobbling or doing some wild flying down to the target it may mean you have a spine issue.

Shorter vanes like Blazers or QS speedhunters are great for stabalizing broadheads. I switched back in January to blazers and have loved them ever since.

This is my own personal opinion on the questions and I am by no means a pro so if I have anything messed up please anyone let me know so radtuck is not lead astray and I am straightened out.

"HONDA"

O.K....so I read some information on the internet about this, and I made a paper hanger to try out my bow. I put the paper about 6 feet from my target, and stood about the same distance from the paper. The information I read on the internet said that the paper should have a hole in the center and a "Y" shape around the center hole if the bow is tuned. It indicated the changes that I would need to make if the hole was to the right and vanes left...you get the point. Anyway, I used regular typing paper, and I don't know if the paper is too heavy, or what, but I couldn't tell where the vanes went through the paper, because the hole wasn't shaped as stated in the article I read. It just looked like a hole with some tears around it....no specific orientation of the tears. So, should I use lighter paper? Or is there a better way to do this? Also, the article mentioned that the arrow shaft should line up with the hole in the riser above the arrow shelf. I looked at mine, and the arrow is aligned so that the center of the arrow shaft is in line with the top of the hole...not the center. It also looks like the arrow is angled downward when nocked at rest. Should I check this at full draw? Or should it be aligned at rest? There are tooo many things that I don't know about this subject, so sorry for the book that I've written here. Do you recommend having an archery shop tune the bow, or should I do it myself?
    Hoyt Ultramag; XT 2000; Whisker Biscuit; Trophy Ridge Micro Matrix; Cam & 1/2; Limb Saver; Tru Ball; Gold Tip Hunter 5575;

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by radtuck View Post
    O.K....so I read some information on the internet about this, and I made a paper hanger to try out my bow. I put the paper about 6 feet from my target, and stood about the same distance from the paper. The information I read on the internet said that the paper should have a hole in the center and a "Y" shape around the center hole if the bow is tuned. It indicated the changes that I would need to make if the hole was to the right and vanes left...you get the point. Anyway, I used regular typing paper, and I don't know if the paper is too heavy, or what, but I couldn't tell where the vanes went through the paper, because the hole wasn't shaped as stated in the article I read. It just looked like a hole with some tears around it....no specific orientation of the tears. So, should I use lighter paper? Or is there a better way to do this? Also, the article mentioned that the arrow shaft should line up with the hole in the riser above the arrow shelf. I looked at mine, and the arrow is aligned so that the center of the arrow shaft is in line with the top of the hole...not the center. It also looks like the arrow is angled downward when nocked at rest. Should I check this at full draw? Or should it be aligned at rest? There are tooo many things that I don't know about this subject, so sorry for the book that I've written here. Do you recommend having an archery shop tune the bow, or should I do it myself?
    try newspaper. I've heard a lot of people have great success with it

at the shop we use freezer paper, works like a charm.....also do you have it stretched tight enough???the paper??
    I cut things up and split them down!

The paper hanger is angle iron bolted together in the shape of a rectangle. The paper is suspended from alligator clips and rubber bands from the corners, and the rubber bands are stretched to the corners of the rectangle. The center is taut, so I think it's done correctly. BTW, I used newspaper today with the same result as the typing paper. Don't know how to interpret the pattern in the paper. I think I'll take the bow to my archery dealer and ask him some questions about it. I think that the nock and the rest need to be adjusted....just because of the way it looks when the arrow is nocked (not at full draw)....it looks to me like it's angled downward. Guess we'll see what he says. Thanks to all for the comments.

have you tried putting your hand on the backside of the paper and putting the paper back in shape somewhat......also is there anyway you could take a pic and put it on here....we may be able to help......

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Default paper tuning

Hi, I use a roll of thin paper that painters use to mask off for their jobs. You can get it in many widths so I get the 18"x 150' one for about $8 or newspaper will work as well. you can get these at Lowes or any paint stoe.. You can take a cardboard box and cut out two square holes opposite of each other and you are good to go. Just put the paper on over one hole and soot thru it . the rest of the other guys procedures are good help for this project. Good luck, Holy Smokes 30 days boys:::
    Last edited by Holy Smokes; 08-21-2006 at 02:26 AM.

A good source for tuning is the Easton Tuning Guide. You can download it in pdf format from Easton's website. It's pretty comprehensive and gives a pretty good explanation of paper tuning.

One key to paper tuning is to do it from 2 or 3 different distances. You might be good at one distance but get a big tear at another distance. This is because an arrow from an untuned bow oscilates in flight. At two points of the oscilation it is perfectly lined up. If your papar happens to be at one of these points, it looks like you have a tuned bow. When you back up a little, you will be able to see how the arrow is really flying.

A second key to paper tuning is to have a torque free grip. If you are torquing the bow, you will get a false reading.

I think the torquing is one of the problems. I tuned it a bit, but still need to work on it. I haven't taken the rig to the range, yet. I've been using it in my garage. I will try to get a picture posted sometime this week. I don't have a digital camera, so I will borrow one from my Dad and post a pic. I plan on going to the range on Wed, so I will try posting a picture that night.

Default I think I got it!!

Hope this image shows up.....I scanned it on my printer and saved it as a JPEG. Anyway....I think that the paper was too loose on the hanger. I made it as tight as it would go and shot one through it. Here's the image. Tune.JPG

may be a low, very slightly left, paper tear but over all does not look terrible...although it is kinda hard to tell from the picture....

I know through away that WB, it will get better I promise